D&D 5E How far can I throw a goblin?

As for targeting, I’d not bother for hitting a target, like a wall section. I’d give any creature the goblin was thrown at a dex saving throw though.

ECMO3

Hero
I'm hoping for some thoughts from other DMs out there on throwing objects or enemies. Here's the scenario. A Goliath character with a STR of 18 has a CC of 15x18x2 (from Powerful Build) = 540. His lift/pull/drag capacity is 540x2 = 1080. If benefiting from and Enlarge/Reduce spell (Enlarged) he would be size L and his capacities would double again, resulting in a CC = 1080 and a lift/pull/drag capacity of 2160. If he were to grapple a goblin one round, could he throw, and if so, how far could he throw, the goblin on a subsequent round? And how much damage would the goblin take?

I'm assuming...

1. The Goliath still benefits from the x2 bonus from the Enlarge spell despite being considered size L due to Powerful Build. I don't know of any errata for this scenario, so I'd allow it unless stated otherwise.
2. Since said Goliath is probably not proficient in the 'throwing goblin weapon', so he'd lose his proficiency bonus to actually hit anything. However, odds are, he's just aiming for a wall, or a bunch of other goblins!

Thoughts?

The attack and damage is easy and straightforward RAW - you are making a ranged attack with an improvised weapon - so you use dexterity bonus on the attack roll and 1d4+dexterity damage to both the goblin and whatever you throw it at for damage if it hits. If you have the tavvern brawler feat you add your proficiency bonus to the attacl. If it does not hit then no damage (thematically say the Goblin rolled out of it when he hit the ground, wall etc).

Note, although you are throwing the Goblin it does not have the "thrown" property and therefore you use dexterity for the attack roll on a ranged attack. If you swing the Goblin as a club you use strength.

As far as distance strict RAW is 20/60 but I would say 20/30 short/long range since you should not be able to throw it more than half as far as you can throw dagger.

Last edited:

Audiomancer

Adventurer
Note, although you are throwing the Goblin it does not have the "thrown" property and therefore you use dexterity for the attack roll on a ranged attack. If you swing the Goblin as a club you use strength.
I think this is the best thing I’ve seen in this entire thread.

1. It is delightfully ridiculous that, RAW, a thrown Goblin is not actually “Thrown,”

2. I love that there’s an important mechanical distinction between a goblin that you pick up and chuck and somebody, vs. a goblin that you pick up and beat someone with,

3. Now I’m giggling at the mental image of using poor Boblin like a club.

Thank you for this.

Don't tell that to a baseball, or golf ball or squash, or...
Actually, a sphere with rough surface features (to trip the boundary layer) are not too bad. Hence why so many sports use them.
A sphere yes, a boulder? It might be a simple rock, it could be egg shaped, roughly square, octogonal or even a half sphere. A boulder is simply a rock. And yes, the small holes on a golf ball will help it go further. But it needs to be spherical which our boulder might not be. Or maybe Giants carry their favourite boulders with them because they are like golf balls :unsure: ?

Oofta

Legend
Hmm. Wonder if there should be a wisdom saving throw for the target of the goblin? I mean, imagine looking up and seeing this flying at you
download (43).jpg

Quickleaf

Legend
Homebrewed these guidelines cause my buddy is playing a minotaur fighter who likes to throw creatures...

Throwing Creatures
As an action, you can throw creatures of your size or smaller that you have grappled (or are willing). Throwing a creatures requires two hands unless you have the Powerful Build trait, which only requires one free hand.

Medium creature 1d6 bludgeoning range 5/15
Small/Tiny creature 1d4 bludgeoning range 10/30

Make a Shove attempt if your goal is to toss the creature into an unoccupied space. On a successful check, the thrown creature lands prone in the space you choose.

For throwing a creature into another creature, make an improvised ranged thrown attack against the AC of the target you're throwing the creature at. On a hit, both the target and the thrown creature take damage according to the thrown creature’s size, and the thrown creature drops prone next to the target. If the target is the same size or smaller than the creature you're throwing, there's also the risk that it will be knocked prone too; this can also be resolved using the Shove rules.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
A sphere yes, a boulder? It might be a simple rock, it could be egg shaped, roughly square, octogonal or even a half sphere. A boulder is simply a rock. And yes, the small holes on a golf ball will help it go further. But it needs to be spherical which our boulder might not be. Or maybe Giants carry their favourite boulders with them because they are like golf balls :unsure: ?
Yes, Giants are expert boulder throwers, they spend their downtime collection and shaping boulders to be perfect aerodynamic missiles just like little people collect slingstones

Remove ads