• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How fast are fast wands?

juliaromero

First Post
If you make a wand of some swift action spell, is it still a swift action to use the wand and cast the spell?

I guess the same question applies to quickened wands.

Speaking of which, a related question: if a character has some feat or class ability that allows him to quicken spells with only a +3 level adjustment, can he then use that to make a wand of quickened 1st level spells?

Bad Paper

First Post
juliaromero said:
If you make a wand of some swift action spell, is it still a swift action to use the wand and cast the spell?

no. Activating a wand is at least a standard action, maybe longer.

juliaromero said:

and the same answer applies

juliaromero said:
Speaking of which, a related question: if a character has some feat or class ability that allows him to quicken spells with only a +3 level adjustment, can he then use that to make a wand of quickened 1st level spells?

A feat like, say, Munchkin Quicken Spell? No. See the answers above.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The key quote you're looking for:

Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description indicates otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, regardless of the type of magic item, unless the item description specifically states otherwise.

So, activating a spell with a swift action casting time from an item requires a swift action... unless the item description states otherwise.

From the item description of wands:
Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.)

So for wands, the item description does state otherwise: standard action, or casting time of the spell if it's longer. A swift action is not longer, so activating Swift Invisibility from a wand requires a standard action.

Note that the item description for scrolls, say, does not 'state otherwise', so activating Swift Invisibility from a scroll requires a swift action.

-Hyp.

Armadon63

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
From the item description of wands:
Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.)

-Hyp.

isn't the key word usually though? which means it could go either way. I could have sworn I have seen an example in the DMG guide of a quickened wand. I'll go check.

Edit: Ok I was mistaken on the example but if you read creating magic items the very bottom of page 282 and then go to 283 of the DMG guide it looks like you could do it. Again the word usually leaves it open for it. Doesnt matter because if you quicken the wand you can only put in 0 level spells.

Last edited:

juliaromero

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
So for wands, the item description does state otherwise: standard action, or casting time of the spell if it's longer. A swift action is not longer, so activating Swift Invisibility from a wand requires a standard action.

Note that the item description for scrolls, say, does not 'state otherwise', so activating Swift Invisibility from a scroll requires a swift action.

-Hyp.

Well, okay, but that's just lame. It's kind of hard to picture a wand being slower than a scroll to use. I have a hard time picturing a scroll as a free action at all.

UltimaGabe

First Post
juliaromero said:

The fact that you can't have Quickened Wands aside, such a Class Feature or Feat wouldn't allow a person to make Scrolls or Wands with only the +3 level adjustment anyway. A person with the ability to automatically Metamagic spells (such as Sudden Empower or a Metamagic Rod) can't be used in conjunction with magic items, and in the same way neither would an ability such as the one you mentioned. Sure, he could cast a Quickened Magic Missile as a 4th-level spell, but a scroll of it would still have to be at 5th-level.

wuyanei

First Post
This actually came up in my game. Quickened Ray of Frost, for a X rogue / 1 Sorcerer build to use in conjunction with True Strike.

I allowed it, not seeing too many problems, but I agree that by the RAW it is somewhat debatable.

Edit: Ah. if it's longer. Well, shows what I know.

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
juliaromero said:

There are epic feats that allow multiple wand/staff activations in one round. Those are what you are looking for. If you could pull off this kind of stuff normally, there would be little need for the feats.

Elephant

First Post
Bad Paper said:
no. Activating a wand is at least a standard action, maybe longer.

That's nonsensical if you make a Wand of Featherfall...

also, I'm tempted to waive the level limits on magic items. Want a Potion of Shapechange or Oil of True Resurrection? Sure! It's still going to be pretty spendy.

Or how about a Wand of Meteor Swarm? The DC is still limited, and by time you can get it, you can cast the spell anyway. Staves don't lose out because of their scaling DC and multiple spell effects features.

I'd provisionally allow the 4th level Wand of Quickened Magic Missiles using the cost-reducing feat. If it became a problem, it would be gone. It would be worth trying, though.

Last edited:

Remove ads