• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How happy are you with your regular ruleset?

How happy are you with your regular ruleset?

• Very satisfied

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • Somewhat satisfied

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Somewhat unsatisfied

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Very unsatisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
We are currently trying to do 5E once a month (so I voted "satisfied"), alternating with OSR and other systems the other month (Pirate Borg, Shadowdark and, when I get around to reading it, Deathmatch Island and maybe the new edition of Kobolds Ate My Baby). I prefer the latter to the former, but I have players who really like the character design aspects of 5E and they can't really get those in the lighter games.

aramis erak

Legend
This is the first of a number of polls gauging the overall temperature of the community, and how well they are enjoying the games they play.

This first question is just about how happy you are with the ruleset you regularly use at your table.
I don't have a "regular ruleset." I rotate through a half-dozen, with occasional others for effect. The very question is broken in that it leaves no room for multiple-system groups.

within the scope of games I've run multiple campaigns of
Very Satisfied: Alien, Pendragon 4th ed, The One Ring 1st ed, Legend of the Five RIngs 5th edition (not the D&D knockoff, but the FFG edition), Dune.
Satisfied: Twilight 2000 4th edition, Talisman Adventurs, Star Trek Adventures, Prime Directive 1st edition

But none of those are my "regular system" - I've not had a singular regular system since about fall 1984...
And all of them are customized to the setting, and cannot be divorced from it in the analysis.

See, Alien and Vaesen are both d6 pool count success Year Zero Engine games... but Vassen only gets to somewhat satisfied, while alien is very satisfied... but I'd not use Alien's mechanics for Trek — just wouldn't be a good fit. And since I choose games based upon fit of setting and mechanics... and change settings about thrice a year... in each of two groups, and seldom both on the same one... that's six different systems per year.

Are you trying to seduce me? Lure me away from my happy marriage to Savage Worlds? Even if I was willing to throw all of that away, what kind of a relationship could I build with another game system knowing that I'm a cheater and you cheated with me?
One of the best things about Savage Worlds is how easy it is to get her dressed up for a bit of roleplay in some other rule system's setting, right? Sometimes you're just in the mood for a bit the Strange but don't want to get into something long-term with Cypher. :)

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I'm running two campaigns of D&D 5e, and they're working really well. There are some proud nails in the system that we've either ignored (explicitly or otherwise) or had to houserule around, and while I don't mind hacking the rules if the game goes in some direction not included in the designers' philosophy, the problems with 5e are right in the path of what feels like intended play.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
I've voted Neutral for my game using The One Ring 2e. It's a one-on-one game, and I don't think the system really sings for one-on-one play. It assumes a group in a lot of places. I don't think it's a bad game, and I'd probably shade towards Somewhat Satisfied, as there are things I really like, but it's probably suboptimal for what we're trying to do.

I'm also playing in a Stonetop game, and I'm Satisfied with the system. I feel like I'll find it more satisfying as I get more comfortable with the system — I'm still finding my feet.

Ringtail

World Traveller (She/Her)
Pathfinder 2nd Edition has been my main game for the last year. I'm Satisfied with it.

The reason it isn't higher is mostly for what I've lost, coming from D&D. Certain OGL creatures, spells, classes, etc that I had to leave behind. The remaster added on to that with further tweaks to spells, etc. All minor things in the grand scheme, but just enough to knock it down a peg.

I've been meaning to homebrew some of that stuff - like Slaad or Beholders - but with legions of baddies to fight, who really has time for that?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
this is just a gauge on how happy you are with the rules your group most frequently or traditionally uses.

I don't have a ruleset we use most frequently or traditionally. My group generally switches ruleset with each campaign, and then each campaign runs for several years. We haven't yet ever repeated a ruleset.

I am satisfied with the rules we are using right now - D&D 5e. I was equally satisfied with Classic Deadlands when we used those, and Ashen Stars when we did that...

Remove ads