• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How has the 4e/3e schism affected you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psion

Adventurer
Steely Dan said:
1.) As D&D combat always has?

At this moment, I so desperately am googling now to find the BECM cover that says something to the effect of "this game happens in your imagination and no miniatures or maps are required". Someone have that one? :cool:

Edit: Here it is:

dd-bbox.jpg

"This game requires no gameboard because the action takes place in your imagination..." :cool:

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Hussar said:
Citation please.

All I have right now is a reference by Bruce Baugh who worked at White Wolf at the time. I imagine his source was the comics & games retailers magazine, but I can't be arsed to search any more.

But since you are the one accusing me of revising history, why don't you dig up figures that prove me wrong.

magnusmalkus

First Post
How has the schizm affected me?

Well, the schisim has affected me by making me look at (and define) what I find enjoyable in my fantasy role playing.

I do not find the new iteration of D&D to fit that definition.

It would seem like my favorite brand has grow away from me so I kind of feellike I've been dumped.

Luckily, I don't have to stop playing 3.5. But it feels different. There's a fear it will go stagnant without community support. But on the other hand... I don't really feel alone in this situation so perhaps it won't get as stale as I fear. And there's always Paizo's Pathfinder RPG. So maybe they'll be my new relationship.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Psion said:
At this moment, I so desperately am googling now to find the BECM cover that says something to the effect of "this game happens in your imagination and no miniatures or maps are required"

Why, BECM has nothing to do with D&D?

For the record, I never used miniatures or grids and what not with 1st/2nd Ed, but only a fool would say the game was not designed with them in mind (intended for use).

Psion

Adventurer
Steely Dan said:
Why, BECM has nothing to do with D&D?

Um, BECM is D&D. It stands for Basic/Expert/Companion/Master, the four series "basic" D&D boxed sets.

And in case my missed it, I found the cover referred to and edited it in my previous post.

jdrakeh said:
First, I've resigned my membership to several online forums. It's a bad sign when every visit to a given forum makes you feel worse than you did before said visit, and when the obvious 'edition wars' trolling obscures any useful content to such a degree that you have to use the forum search function to find the latter.

Second, I've removed links to the forums mentioned above and several others from my own web page, as I'm more than a little reluctant to recommend forums that are currently thick with the hate to anybody else. Some of those links will probably be re-posted when/if the heat dies down, though until that happens, I don't feel comfortable saying "Hey! Post over here!" :(

Third, I've also started looking at games other than D&D 3x or 4e for actual play, lately. For instance, I play in a Dark Heresy game on Tuesdays, and I'm leaning toward starting a Risus game soon, as well as a Holmes BD&D game (the Borderlands thing in my .sig). I really have no desire to stumble into the real-life equivalent of the forum arguments that I've seen.

I have to agree with you Jim, it is very disheartening that almost every message board I go to it's the same crap. If you like 4E, you're an MMO player with no imagination, and that 4E is the devil, the end of all. I have played every incarnation of D&D since the 1st Ed stuff (even the boxed stuff), and to me, it never really mattered about a number, it was the fun of playing a game of imagination with my buddies. Now I'm 36, and I'm having fun playing a game of imagination with my buddies, and the number just happens to be 4 instead of 3. A few of them were not overly thrilled, but interested in playing 4E. Now that they've tried it, they enjoy it. It requires just as much imagination to flesh out the characters as it did before. Sure there's not as much "crunchy" stuff like skills and feats to choose from, but that may be temporary, but we're still having fun. If we want a "different" class that was in 3.x and isn't there, guess what, we try to come up with it ourselves!

Neither edition is better, they're just different.

Paladin

Explorer
Here's what I've observed in the 3e/4e schism amongst the gamers I personally know and have played with: people who play multiple RPGs seem to be embracing 4e with open arms while people who just play D&D are sticking with 3e/3.5 and have zero interest in 4e. (I fall into the latter category, and so does my current group.) The same aforementioned gamers who play multiple RPGs, and 4e, are mostly into online gaming while the ones I know that just play D&D only mostly aren't...ironic?

diaglo

Adventurer
still playing and enjoying OD&D(1974).

online i gave up on www.tsr.com i haven't been there since gleemax was talked about being introduced.

a few other sites lost me too.

i only visit ENWurld now when i follow a link here from CM.

kiznit

Explorer
diaglo said:
i only visit ENWurld now when i follow a link here from CM.
Why do people keep talking about this Circvs Maximvs place? I heard it was nothing but angry, opinionated braggarts with vacuous opinions. :uhoh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads