• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many dice do you put out?

How many dice do you usually put out at the gaming table?

• Dice? Oh, I forgot mine again

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • A few; which ever I grab on the way out the door

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • A 'full set', depending on the system being played

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • A few more than a 'full set'; extra d6s, etc

Votes: 58 24.0%
  • Two or more 'full sets', cuz I like having options

Votes: 97 40.1%
  • A pound or more - dice for everyone!

Votes: 63 26.0%
  • None; I use some form of electronic dice

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • None; I only play diceless games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None; I'm too cheap to buy my own dice

Votes: 1 0.4%

Barak

First Post
I use 2 full sets with extra d6s. And I DM. I make sure I have less then 10 d6s, so I have a good reason to ask players to loan me extra dice when rolling massive damage. What can I say, I like hearing them groan.

Master Gunns

First Post
How many dice?

I use at least 6 complete sets with extra d6's and d4's for calculating damage from fireballs etc.

Last edited:

rowport

First Post
I bring a massive bag filled with dice to every session. As I get organized to prepare to play, I dump out the entire mass o'dice and sort through to create multiple sets sorted by color (plus color-contrasting dice for Sneak Attack or Skirmish damage). Then I consider two or three different colors before deciding the sets to use that night. I never use the same color sets in two back-to-back sessions. The whole process is kind of ritualistic. Yes, my group abuses me for doing it. And, yes, I am more than a bit obssessive-compulsive. ;)

4 complete sets plus extra d20s for DMing; for playing whatever I need for the particular character. Last session it was two d20s and three d12s (barbarian with greataxe) plus a d8 for tracking rage.

TresGeek

First Post
Starglim said:
Not a random grab, but not a full set either. In the case of my longsword and longbow-armed ranger I mostly have two dice out on the table, a d20 and a d8.
Ah yes, for when I play dual-wield characters I have a standard set of blue-speckled dice and an extra-large d20 that matches. The oversized d20 is for my primary weapon, and the regular for the offhand, so that I may roll both attacks and make it obviously which die is for which weapon. I wish I had a full set of oversized dice that matched in color, so that I could make both damage rolls with the attack rolls. I've tried it with different colored dices but that gets too confusing for my meager brain.

Fist full 'o dice, baby! :D

So I guess depending on the character I'm playing I do have a bit more than a 'full set' out at the table. When DMing the whole bag usually gets dump onto the table.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
For Exalted, I generally don't pull out dice until I have to. I only pull out what I need to (usually a max of 10d10s).
When GMing Unisystem (usually Firefly), I pull out a single d10 when necessary.
For Mutants and Masterminds, I pull out three or four d20s.

Anything else, i generally like to keep my options open on dice selection.

Quasqueton

First Post
I only bring one set – d4, d6, d8, d10/%, d12, and a d20. I like to wear a t-shirt with a pocket on the breast so I can keep the dice I’m not using regularly off the table. If I’m regularly needing more, like 2d6 for a greatsword-wielding fighter, or 5d4 for a magic missile throwing sorcerer, I’ll bring some extra. But I don’t have the need to have a ton of dice on the table in front of me.

Every game I’ve ever played in could save at least 10% of the space on the game table if Players limited their dice to what they actually need at hand. Hell, take off the snacks and drinks and supplemental books, and you could double the size of the battlegrid. Gamers who bring way too many dice to the table are silly (and sometimes inconsiderate of others whose space they're wasting).

Quasqueton

Rika

First Post
It depends on the character for me. Always at least a full set plus if I have a spellcaster usually enough to deal with damage spells otherwise enough to deal with weapon damage.

I also have really bad dice luck so I always have extras for when I get fed up.

Ruined

Explorer
While playing or DMing, I usually grab two full sets (color choice dependant upon mood and character/setting) and a handful of d6s. My oddity is never using the numbered d6 from the sets, but instead using my Lidless Eye d6s with pips.

And yes, I have the traditional Crown Royal bag of Doom.

Remove ads