• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Monster Books Do You Own?

How Many Monster Books Do You Own

• 1 book

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • 2-3 books

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • 4-6 books

Votes: 54 26.7%
  • 7-10 books

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • 11-15 books

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • 16-20 books

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • 20+ books

Votes: 27 13.4%

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I've got the MM 3.0, the Monsternomicon and Legacy of the Dragons for dedicated bestiaries. I was considering picking up the Tome of Horrors but decided to wait for my next paycheck. Diamond Throne also has monsters, as does Testament, both of which I own. I've also got the 1E Fiend Folio and 1E Deities and Demigods.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Just counting D&D style creature books (not deadlands or swashbuckling adventures, but includin Oriental adventures)

Monster Manual 3.5 (gave away the 3.0 when I bought 3.5)
Monsternomicon
Creaures of Rokugan
Fiend Folio (given as a gift, I don't use it much)
Creature Collection 1 revised & 2 (1 is 3.5, again I gave away the older version when I bought the new one.)
Tome of Horrors 1 (Number 2 is still on my wish list.)

Not quite a creature book, but I will count it anyway - Book of Templates Deluxe.

So seven total.

The Auld Grump (Which is one more than I would have guessed.)

Bulak

First Post
MM (3.0), MMII, Monsters of Faerûn, Armies of the Abyss, and Legions of Hell. That's five. Will be six soon, when I get Creatures of Freeport.

Voadam

Legend
lots

Just counting for d20

MM 3.0
SRD3.5 (includes epic and psionic)
d20M SRD (includes d20M, arcana unearthed and menace manual monsters)
d20 Menace manual
Denizens of Dread (3.0)
Kids Coloring Book of Critters
Complete Minions
Bane Leger
Legacy of Dragons
Bodies and Souls
Book of Templates
Book of Templates Deluxe
Gaming Frontiers Monsters
Monsters of the Id
Terrors of the Lost Earth
Bestiary of Loerem
Monsters of Norrath
Manual of Monsters (shipping)
Creature Collection Revised (shipping)
Creature Collection III
Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary
Book of Fiends
Jade Dragons and Hungry Ghosts
Creatures of Freeport (shipping)
Monsters of the Mind
Elemental Lore
Encyclopedia of Angels

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Phineas Crow said:
Here is my official tally: 27 Monster Books

Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary, Minions: Fearsome Foes, Liber Bestarius, Legends & Lairs: Monster’s Handbook, Legends & Lairs: Draconic Lore, Legends & Lairs: Necromantic Lore, Legends & Lairs: Twisted Lore, Legends & Lairs: Giant Lore, Monsters of the Endless Dark, Monsters of the Boundless Blue, Legions of Hell, Armies of the Abyss, Monsters of the Mind, Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene, Nightmares & Dreams, Nightmares & Dreams II, Tome of Horrors, Tome of Horrors II, Monsternomicon, Creature Collection, Creature Collection II, Creature Collection III, Ravenloft: Denizens of Darkness, Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, Fiend Folio, Monsters of Faerun

I immediately selected 20+, because I have always been amazed at the number of monsters books out there, and how people keep buying them (myself included).

I have everything on your list but the Tellene and HROE books.

In its stead, I also have Book of templates, Bodies & Souls, Creatures of Freeport, Deadliest Creatures Tome, Menace Manual, Monsters of the Id, Book of Fiends, Encyclopedia of Demons & Devils I&II, Jade Dragons & Hungry Ghosts, Creatures of Rokugan, Elemental Lore, and some I am probably forgetting (there is one PDF whose cover I can picture but I can't remember the name.)

But I still use mostly PC races.

Kalendraf

Explorer
I'm making an assumption that the question was in regards to 3/3.5 edition/d20 books. I have:

Monster Manual 1 & 2
Tome of Horrors 1 & 2
Creature Collection 1 & 2
Fiend Folio
Monsters of Faerun
Legions of Hell
Slayers Guide to Elementals (might be pushing it, but lots of new elementals listed in there)

So that's a nice even 10. If we are supposed to include all monster books dating back to 1st edition, that would add the following:

1e - Monster Manual 1 & 2, Fiend Folio
2e - Monstrous Compendium 1 & 2, Monsters of Faerun Compendium

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Assuming D&D 3.0/3.5 books only: Monster Manual (3.0 & 3.5), Monster Manual II, Fiend Folio, Creature Collection I, Creature Collection II, Tome of Horrors, Monsters of Faerûn, Legions of Hell.

All of them have seen use with the exception of Legions of Hell and the Creature Collections.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I voted 6, counting only D&D/d20 fantasy:
Monster Manual 3.0
Monster Manual 3.5
Monster Manual II
Fiend Folio
Book of Fiends

I didn't count books with lots of monsters but equal amount of other stuff (like Mindscapes), nor did I count stuff for other d20 games (d20 Modern: Menace Manual, Star Wars: Ultimate Alien Anthology), nor previous editions (MM & MMII for 1e, almost every monster book released for 2e).

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Six, for d20 system stuff: MM, MM2, FF, ToH, CC2, Draconomicon.

If you counted other sources, I'd have more (older edition books, different systems, etc). Plus Dragon mags, plus stuff from MotP, BoVD, etc, etc...

Remove ads