• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much money have you spent on 3.x?

How much have you spent on 3.x?

• $1-$30 (about the cost of the PHB alone)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $31-$50 (PHB + a supplement or two)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • $51-$90 (about the cost of the 3 core rulebooks)

• $91-$100

• $101-$150

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • $151-$200

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • $201-$300

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • $301-$400

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • $401-$500

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • $501-$750

Votes: 21 11.6%
  • $750-$1,000

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • $1,000+

Votes: 111 61.3%

Oryan77

Adventurer
Way too much money to know for sure. Which is a reason I'm not all that thrilled to get into 4e yet. I have so many sourcebooks that I can't possibly see myself starting all over again just for some new rules. I have everything a player could possibly want :p

possum

First Post
$300.41, not including tax.

For that, I got...

3.0 Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual ($59.85)
3.5 Player's Handbook ($29.95)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting, War of the Lance Sourcebook and Tasslehoff's Map Pouch for the War of the Lance era (~$98.85, I forgot the Map Pouch at first and guesstimated the price of it.)
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting ($39.95)
Oriental Adventures Campaign Setting ($12.00. eBay auction FTW!)
The Slayer's Guide to Orcs ($9.95)
The Slayer's Guide to Bugbears ($1.00. Bargain bin.)
Five issues of Dungeon and Dragon Magazine ($31.95)
The Sunless Citadel ($9.95)

And, finally...

Two 3.0 Player's Handbooks, a 3.0 Dungeon Master's Guide, Epic Level Handbook, Psionics Guide, Fiend Folio, Book of Exalted Deeds, Manual of the Planes, and ~30 issues of Dungeon and Dragon Magazine. ($35.00. Garage sale. Also included some 2nd. Edition stuff.)

Thurbane

First Post
I voted 501-750, but in hindsight, I didn't include third party products or DDM in that (do they count as 3.X?) - over 1000 is probably more accurate.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
$750 to $1k -- but I think that is largely due to the fact that I spread my purchases amongst several systems. If I played only D&D 3x and recalculated my last eight years of RPG purchases to account for that narrowness of purpose, I estimate. . . that I need to be more responsible with my money (I actually did the calculations just now and after seeing the result, I refuse to post it out of embarassment).

Aus_Snow

First Post
johnnype said:
Ballpark figure.
$1000+

Do you think the amount is at all related to your acceptance of 4.0?
No. I accept that 4e exists, just fine. ;)

But I ain't buying it. Which, in all seriousness, is actually to do with the nature of that edition, not what I have or haven't spent, etc.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
All FR supplements, all Eberron supplements, 4 out of 5 MMs past I, the core rulebooks for 3.0 and 3.5, Epic Level Handbook, Bo9S, Manual of the Planes, PHBII, DMGII, all the 3.0 class splatbooks, all the 3.5 class splatbooks, all 4 enviromental splatbooks, each of the books in the Librus Mortis style (Draconomican, etc), Book of Vile Darkness, and I'm sure there are a ton more that I'm forgetting.

Yeah, well over $1000.

Arkhandus

First Post
Roughly $715, so I voted "501-750"

(I'm rounding a few dollars up or down....yes, I actually looked at the MSRP on each of my books, but I don't have that for the DM Screen and Character Sheet pack that I got, which I guesstimated and included in that total)

And that's only counting purchases of WotC products for 3E, excluding my 5 books for d20 Modern, and excluding the 6 third-party books I got (of which only 3 are support for 3E, the other 3 are core books for similar d20 games). And I excluded whatever I spent on issues of Dragon Magazine and Dungeon/Polyhedron Magazine.

Altogether, the magazines, d20 Modern books, and 3rd-party stuff probably totals another $700 roughly, the vast majority from the magazines (I never subscribed, I just picked up issues that interested me, but there were a lot....and newsstand prices are a lot more than subscription prices).

.......and yet, it's not so much what I've already spent on d20/3E that makes me loathe to bother with 4E. It's 4E itself that makes me loathe it.

I'd continue buying books if I thought they were worth using. I stopped buying D&D books altogether when 3.5e came out, with only 2 exceptions, the Tome of Battle and Player's Handbook II. I didn't find 3.5 worthwhile, just as I find 4E to be even less worthwhile, because it won't even be reasonably backwards compatible with 3.0, unlike the ToB and PHB2.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Coming late to the party, i spent around 300 € - mostly on Eberron stuff (some of it discounted), a PHB and a 3.0 DMG and MM. I like 3.5 a lot and am exited to explore it further in the years to come - and i will buy 4e. Heck, i love books. Books are made for buying - and owning. :D

Remove ads