How Old Were You When You Played Your First TTRPG?

How old were you when you played your first TTRPG?

• Under the age of 8

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • 9-10 years

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • 11-12 years

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • 13-14 years

Votes: 25 17.9%
  • 15-16 years

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • 17-18 years

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • 19-20 years

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Over the age of 20

Votes: 8 5.7%

Sacrosanct

Legend
I was 7 in 1981. Followed my older brother to his friends house in Ketchikan Alaska and they were playing Moldvay Basic. I played with them, because I was a really early reader and could read the rules and create my own character (even if I mispronounced half the words lol).

AxeMA

Villager
1989 during a Con in Mannheim. I was 19. It was a System called Wizards&Warriors. It was a system of some friends who was never published.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
13. 56 now.

My dad actually told me about D&D more than a year prior, having read something and thinking it sounded like something I would like. But of course there was no way my father could possibly have a good suggestion, so I ignored him.

Evaniel

Filthy Casual (he/him)
I was 10 when my older cousin lent me the Mentzer red box set. I had played the solo scenario therein, but I don't know that I ran it for others before I had to return it. That said, I immediately started making my own games and running my friends and siblings through them until I could get my filthy mitts on both the Basic and Expert sets, which lasted me a few years until 2e came out.

1979. Our wargaming club allowed TTRPG players in.

It seemed a bizzare game, with no victory conditions or objectives (black box Traveller). But like many of the club I eventually tried it.I can't say that Traveller ever really hooked me, but the game did.

It helped that wargaming was dying out; that was my first and enduring love. Thankfully, computer games revived it later.

Remove ads