• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to apply metamagics without increasing spell level?

Mal-2

First Post
Grog said:
If I want to apply multiple metamagic feats to the same spell without increasing its level (for example, Empower and Maximize a Fireball), is there a way to do this? Metamagic rods won't work, because you can only use one at a time...

If you're a Divine caster, you can use Incense of Meditation (from the DMG) to cause all of your prepared spells for the day to be Maximized with no actual spell level increase.

Mal-2

The Souljourner

First Post
Interesting magic item... with that and a quicken rod, you'd be kicking some serious butt in one of those one on one contests. At least you can't do blade barrier cheese anymore.

Of course, it's completely cheesy, since the big drawback is that it's expensive, a one use only item, and takes 8 hours to set up... but none of that matters in those player versus player matches.

-The Souljourner

DreamChaser

Explorer
Grog said:
If I want to apply multiple metamagic feats to the same spell without increasing its level (for example, Empower and Maximize a Fireball), is there a way to do this? Metamagic rods won't work, because you can only use one at a time...

no. nor should there be.

DC

Grog

First Post
KaeYoss said:
As we said: No. Except the stuff described above. And seriously, it is better that way. There is a thing called balance after all.

Well, I fully agree with this. If you can crank out quickened maximized empowered fireballs, balance breaks down pretty quick, I think.

Number47

First Post
Hi there. I'm Variel over at RPOL Proving Grounds. I handed Ramus his ass twice. He is a Red Wizard of Thay prestige class. He is using Circle Magic to get free metamagicking. All perfectly legal and 3.5 compliant. What I am wondering is how he is getting save DCs of 32? 10 + 9 (heightened spell level) + 2 (greater spell focus = 21, meaning he would have to have a +11 Int bonus. That's a 32 Intelligence! I'm not sure that's possible. Could I be missing something?

Grog

First Post
Hmm.... Doesn't circle magic require multiple casters? Or am I thinking of something else?

Btw, love your work, Variel :cool:

(edit) Oh, 32 Intelligence is achievable - 18 starting, +3 level increases, +6 item, +5 inherent. If Spellcasting Prodigy is in 3.5 (don't know right offhand if it is), you only need a +3 inherent bonus.

Last edited:

Number47

First Post
Circle magic does require multiple casters, but the effect lasts 24 hours so can be done before the battle. You're right that a 32 Int is totally possible, I just didn't think anyone would throw 137,500 gp at a single magic item. I guess for Ramus' build it would make a lot of sense. With his mega-spells, one-round kill type of build, who needs magic items?

EDIT: Spellcasting prodigy is not 3.5 compliant.

If you have any questions on Variel, I would be more than happy to answer those, too. So, what do you think Bane is? What has the Pounce ability in 3.5 core only?

Last edited:

Grog

First Post
Number47 said:
If you have any questions on Variel, I would be more than happy to answer those, too. So, what do you think Bane is? What has the Pounce ability in 3.5 core only?

Thanks, but I don't really have any questions about him. You have showed me, though, that Prismatic Wall can be used offensively... I'll definitely be taking it when my wizard hits 15th level.

As for Bane, I'm not sure. I'm not too up on 3.5. Weretiger, maybe?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads