• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to decide which system?? Narrative focus

Jurble

First Post
Hey all,
so im really interesting in branching out from 3.5/4e/SWSE which i have the most experience with towards a system which lends more towards narrative focused/RP focus as opposed to combat and statistics.

I really dont know much about the other systems out there so I was hoping someone could suggest a few systems worth checking out to cut down the list abit?

Essentially i like to run mainly forum based games, with a focus on group narrative writing (almost more creative writing than hard and fast rules based games)

Any suggestions would be an amazing help thanks so much!

J

Crothian

First Post
Are you wanting a system that is generic so can be kind of applied to any game or genre? This would be something like GURPS, Cortex, Savage Worlds, d6 and the like. Or there are those games that the system is more tightly applied to the genre and setting so are not as generic. That would be all the games that have a system in them.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I recommend looking into the Cortex system. It's acton points are called plot points: characters earn them for playing out character flaws in a way that meaningfully enhances the plot, and they can spend them to introduce plot elements (as well as enhance dice rolls). It's a mechanic for sharing narrative control. Character creation is pretty simple. Combat is pretty simple (and pretty lethal). Sounds like a good fit for what you asked.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I'm inclined to say "Make your own". Steal all the ideas you want from whomever you want. (just don't try to sell it)

It may sound wierd but Rolemaster might work. I tend to roleplay more if picking a fight can lead to a swift grizzly death.

That point was driven home for me when my character suffered a catastrophic groin injury before I left the first bar I entered. ( IIRC it was type E with a spear in my junk):eek:

Jack7

First Post
If I took a spear in my junk I think I'd remember it correctly. But not necessarily fondly. But come to think of it, I might not wanna remember it at all. So I take that back.

But otherwise I'm with WB and Doug. Start with no system, and then if ya need to, invent your own.

Agamon

Adventurer
As someone else who prefers pbp games that focus on narrative but still have a system, I'd also suggest Cortex. Considering all of the television show licenses the system has, it's obviously suited for a narrative style.

Speaking of TV shows, Primetime Adventures is a good option, as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads