• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to make maps

der_kluge

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Why would anyone go through the pain and use MS Paint for that, if there are free programs available, which are a thousand times better (like The Gimp)? :D

Because we've never heard of it? I'll have to check GIMP out. I'm downloading it now.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Well, I downloaded GIMP, and while I think it's powerful, I should point out that the GIMP website itself says that GIMP "is not a paint program" rather it is "photo editing" software.

So, I don't think GIMP is exactly cut out to do what one might expect it to do. Cut out red eye from a photograph? Absolutely. Draw a dungeon full of square rooms? Not so easy.

In fact, GIMP lacks a tool to even draw a square. There are ways to do it, apparently, but it would take me some time to figure out how to do that.

The learning curve is fairly steep, I think, as well.

PK

First Post
Yes Gimp is great. But its lack of vector-based drawing tools keeps it from being ideal. I often use the two of them (Gimp and Paint) in concert, drawing the geometric base in Paint, then moving it into Gimp for doing layers, coloring, background, etc.

Keep in mind that I am not good at it, but I do have fun.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Hey, thanks for bumping my post PK. Just so happens I have the 5th tutorial ready to go.

One more tutorial to go before you become a MASTER! :)

Attachments

• paint tutorial 5.doc
    756.5 KB · Views: 104

frankthedm

First Post
Paint is on the computer already and i won't be downloading anything named 'gimp" to the Work PC!

Here is a map I made in paint for the unmapped Temple of Zargon from B4:The Lost City.

theRogueRooster

First Post
The stuff you guys are doing looks great, especially considering you're using nothing more than MS Paint!

Not to pimp my own work, but before too many people start disparaging Gimp I wanted to show that it is a great tool for making maps. Technically, you can draw shapes with it using the Gfig function, but I prefer another method. I use another wonderful and free program called Inkscape to draw any shapes I need and then Gimp for the rest of it. In the attached image, Inkscape was used to draw the basic hut shapes while I used Gimp to create the campfires, jungle and hut shadows, stone fire rings, and the jungle and grass textures -- basically, everything else.

I created this map for use in my online campaign. It doesn't have a grid because Fantasy Grounds (our online client) does that for me.

The Gimp works wonderfully for me. I will concede that there is a learning curve to overcome, but like anything else, once you figure it out it can be a powerful tool.

-tRR

Attachments

• Redskull Village.jpg
    Redskull Village.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 162

theRogueRooster

First Post
All of you entrenched MS Paint users might want to consider looking at Paint .NET. Think of it as MS Paint with layers. I guarantee you'll love it or your money back! :)

-tRR

der_kluge

Adventurer
theRogueRooster said:
The stuff you guys are doing looks great, especially considering you're using nothing more than MS Paint!

Not to pimp my own work, but before too many people start disparaging Gimp I wanted to show that it is a great tool for making maps. Technically, you can draw shapes with it using the Gfig function, but I prefer another method. I use another wonderful and free program called Inkscape to draw any shapes I need and then Gimp for the rest of it. In the attached image, Inkscape was used to draw the basic hut shapes while I used Gimp to create the campfires, jungle and hut shadows, stone fire rings, and the jungle and grass textures -- basically, everything else.

I created this map for use in my online campaign. It doesn't have a grid because Fantasy Grounds (our online client) does that for me.

The Gimp works wonderfully for me. I will concede that there is a learning curve to overcome, but like anything else, once you figure it out it can be a powerful tool.

-tRR

tRR - that's a great map. I'll have to search for this "Inkscape". Thanks for the tip.

Remove ads