• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How Will You Be Generating Stats in 5E?

How will you generate stats in 5E?

• 4d6 drop lowest

Votes: 101 48.3%
  • Point buy

Votes: 102 48.8%
  • Elite array

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 27 12.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 0.5%

delericho

Legend
I'll be letting each player choose, though if they choose random roll then they have to roll in front of the group.

The first time out, char gen will be exactly as laid out in RAW - so no point buy of stats over 15, no rerolls on random rolls, etc. I feel I need to run the game at least once to see how it works as-is, before making any changes.

After that, my gut feeling is that I'll want to change some things. At which point I'll probably change all three systems:

1) Random rolls remain 4d6-drop-lowest, but you reroll if the net modifiers is +0 or less, or if your highest stat is 13 or lower.

2) The array changes to 16/15/13/12/10/8

3) Point buy will be expanded to allow stats up to 18. I haven't quite figured out how best to do this - it might be a straight-up expansion of the table, or I might switch to the costs from 3e (that I've been using for years). Either way, the number of points will be increased slightly.

All that said, it is my intention to be much less system-focussed this time around, and a corollary of that is that I'm not intending to worry anywhere near so much about getting a 'perfect' stat-gen method. After years of fiddling, I've more or less concluded that such a thing doesn't really exist. :)

Remove ads