How would you build the Fonz

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hehe, yes it is good to stay in context; though he does have a point. It didn't start the "jumped the shark" trope for nothing, after all. In case it had been missed in the browsing, I paid a small homage to this as well by giving Fonzie a riding shark.

I am going to claim lack of skill focus on TV tropes

However I am curious the Angel TV series ended in a way that felt like D&D with the characters having Epic destinies and Angel himself reinforced I am the eternal champion with - "as for myself I am going to slay me a dragon" (not an actual quote just my memories)

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Angel's an interesting character, insofar as he started out a vampire (dhampyr), but by the end of the series he's human again. Interestingly, I could build him and give him vampiric heritage at level 1, then retrain it later into something else, hehe.

Lightbulb, I'll retrain him into Paladin.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Retraining is something to pay attention to... for me it is character evoloution... though arcane reserves seems like cheating for mixed hybrids I like it because it seems a natural for it to evolve.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Retraining is something to pay attention to... for me it is character evoloution... though arcane reserves seems like cheating for mixed hybrids I like it because it seems a natural for it to evolve.
Agreed about that. Although I post finished products (level 26), I take strong consideration in how the characters level up. When I go back and delevel some to have them fit within a game world and level requirement, I often use the 26 as a guideline. any feats I can take between 1 and 10, i usually reorder to the most effective level to level, then the end result ends up mostly the same.

Using Fonz as on topic, I'd probably start out building him 26th level and just go down the list of feats in order as they appear on the CB, but pulling him back to level 2 (as displayed here), I would have kept what he has now, and pick up the rest later as they become relevant to the campaign.

In the case of Angel, I don't think I'd start him as paladin. Yeah, in the angel series he's totally a paladin; but he also came into that role after already seeing 8 seasons on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in which he demonstrated some fighting ability and knowledge of arcane rituals/powers beyond just being a vampire. I just started typing exactly how i'd build him and realized I may as well just build him and post my rendition (lol). I'll get to it and be back promptly.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In the case of Angel, I don't think I'd start him as paladin. Yeah, in the angel series he's totally a paladin; but he also came into that role after already seeing 8 seasons on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in which he demonstrated some fighting ability and knowledge of arcane rituals/powers beyond just being a vampire. I just started typing exactly how i'd build him and realized I may as well just build him and post my rendition (lol). I'll get to it and be back promptly.

Ah yes I was thinking of when he was in his own series. Even there though we kind of have to ignore the personality theme a bit and concentrate on powers and fighting methods.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
A bit later than expected; but life happens. :) Here ya go. His armor is just his natural defense.
[sblock=Angel - Level 1]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Angel, level 1
Revenant, Fighter
Build: Brawling Fighter
Fighter: Combat Agility
Fighter Talents: Brawler Style
Blood Drain: Blood Drain Strength
Choose your Race in Life: Human
Background: Windrise Ports, Birth - Omen, Society - Noble, Touched by Darkness, Penitent, Pivotal Event - You Kill (Windrise Ports Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 16.

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 11 Will: 13
HP: 27 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +8, Athletics +7, Heal +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +3, History, Insight +2, Intimidate +5, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion, Stealth +1, Thievery +1

FEATS
Level 1: Vampiric Heritage

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Slash and Pummel
Fighter encounter 1: Takedown Attack
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack

ITEMS
Spiked gauntlet (2), Scale Armor
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock][sblock=Angel - Level 26]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Angel, level 26
Revenant, Fighter, Paragon Multiclassing, Reborn Champion
Build: Brawling Fighter
Fighter: Combat Agility
Fighter Talents: Brawler Style
Pact Initiate: Pact Initiate (dark pact)
Remembered Knack: Acrobatics Remembered Knack
Blood Drain: Blood Drain Strength
Choose your Race in Life: Human
Background: Windrise Ports, Birth - Omen, Society - Noble, Touched by Darkness, Penitent, Pivotal Event - You Kill (Windrise Ports Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 14, Dex 15, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 23.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 16.

AC: 41 Fort: 36 Reflex: 31 Will: 35
HP: 194 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 48

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +24, Athletics +23, Heal +21, Bluff +24, Endurance +22, History +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Arcana +14, Diplomacy +19, Dungeoneering +16, Insight +16, Intimidate +21, Nature +16, Perception +16, Religion +14, Stealth +15, Thievery +15

FEATS
Level 1: Vampiric Heritage (retrained to Human Soul at Level 21)
Level 2: Human Soul (retrained to Adept Power at Level 10)
Level 4: Pact Initiate
Level 6: Novice Power
Level 8: Acolyte Power
Level 10: Soldier of the Faith
Level 11: Crimson Fire
Level 12: Sacrifice to Caiphon
Level 14: Toughness
Level 16: Walker in Gloom
Level 18: Channel of Valor
Level 20: Crimson Legionnaire
Level 21: Eerie Resurgence
Level 22: Remembered Knack
Level 24: Fleet-Footed
Level 26: Timely Revival

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Slash and Pummel (retrained to Holy Strike at Paragon Multiclassing)
Paragon Multiclassing: Benediction
Paragon Multiclassing: Visage of Sorrow
Paragon Multiclassing: Comeback Smite
Fighter encounter 1: Takedown Attack
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack
Fighter utility 2: Unstoppable
Fighter encounter 3: Slamming Rush
Fighter daily 5: Bare-Knuckled Rebuke
Fighter utility 6: City Dweller
Fighter encounter 7: Bludgeoning Vise
Fighter daily 9: One Against Many
Fighter utility 10: Fighter's Grit
Fighter encounter 13: Battle Jump (retrained to Cursegrind at Novice Power) (replaces Takedown Attack)
Fighter daily 15: No Room to Breathe (replaces Driving Attack)
Fighter utility 16: Bolstering Stride
Fighter encounter 17: Battering Ram (replaces Slamming Rush)
Fighter daily 19: Reaving Strike (retrained to Armor of Agathys at Adept Power) (replaces Bare-Knuckled Rebuke)
Fighter utility 22: Undeniable Challenge (retrained to Entropic Ward at Acolyte Power)
Fighter encounter 23: Gut Punch (replaces Bludgeoning Vise)
Fighter daily 25: Fighter's Resurgence (replaces One Against Many)

ITEMS
Spiked gauntlet (2), Elderscale Armor
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock]

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Love brawling fighters .... really bring out the monster themed hero feel (though battleragers do as well). But they can also carry a healthy amount of martial arts flavor if you want them to... both of which fit Angel to a tee.

The Snow White as Swarm Druidess with fluffy cute and cuddlies going into attack may be too humorous to do ;p - most of all may not be enough story around it.

Last edited:

Remove ads