• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How would you handle raising dead on a PC that didn't believe in the gods?

transtemporal

Explorer
In the last session of our Faerun campaign, one of the tanks died fighting a death knight. They don't have a cleric in the party but they reasoned they were close to a capital city so they'd go find a temple and get him raised in the next session. In the interim I noticed he didn't have a faith on his character sheet and I asked him if that was a mistake. He said "No my character doesn't believe in the gods". I explained that without a faith of any kind a divine Raise Dead wouldn't work on him. He replied "That's fine."

My reasoning is rejecting the gods in a world where they absolutely exist is the ultimate slap in the face. Its worse than believing in the other team, because even if you believed in some evil god like Bhaal or Malar, at least you believe in a god.

Someone pointed out that bards can cast it too and I said he could do that, but he was already working on a new character.

How would you handle it?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Yeah, seems he is SOL. I mean, you live in a world (assuming FR) where gods have literally walked the earth within living memory (of elves and dwarves). And currently sit on the throne of Mulhorand, I believe.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Maybe its just semantics, but I don't think that in Faerun you can say "I don't believe in the gods". The gods exist, and disbelieving that is foolish. That said, you can always say "I don't pray to the gods, nor do I respect them". For those familiar with Planescape, look at the Athar faction. They don't deny the existence of the gods, but they simply consider them (very) powerful beings trying to fool mortals into adoration.

Regarding Raise Dead, I don't think it necessarily has to be involved with gods. As already said, bards cand cast that too, and some clerics may want to perform it for personal gain (like clerics of Waukeen).

Bards casting it does rather throw a spanner at the idea that the Gods are intrinsically involved in the process. Of course, you could always say that there are no high-level Bards nearby and that the Clerics refuse to do it on someone who is faithless, but that seems like you'd end up with a very awkward, "How can they know?" situation.

I've heard of situations where a similarly 'atheist' character died and the party cleric tried to raise him, only to be refused by his god; when the party went and paid another cleric to do it, the party cleric promptly lost his spellcasting ability, for having offended his god. I thought that was a pretty interesting situation, but I do worry that it lead to a huge maelstrom of hurt feelings at the table, for perhaps little world-building gain.

Well, as others mentioned, he may just have to roll another character.

However, this could also open up an interesting role-playing opportunity for him. An unbeliever is raised from the dead by the priest of a deity that he doesn't believe in? How would he react to that? Does he consider it just another form of magic, or is he now a believer in this deity?

Lanliss

Explorer
As he said that it was fine, so it is. Seems he wants a new character.

On the subject at hand however, there a few possible amswers. A benevolent god, that does not care how misguided his/her children are, and loves them anyway. A warlock patron, hoping for a new pawn, though this does not need to lead to Warwick levels. I would say saving his life is plenty of payment for a pact. A god who has plans for that warrior, and would rather see them fighting than dead, regardless of their faith or lack of it. Just a few off the top of my head.

Oofta

Legend
I've run an atheist (Melfore) in a similar campaign before and his logic was quite simple. Gods are merely powerful spells powered by the prayers of the faithful. While they may be powerful, they are no more "deities" than a golem. Similar to deities in Harry Harrison's "The Hammer and the Cross" novels.

So if Melfore were raised from the dead, he would claim that the original Melfore had died (and was gone) and that he was effectively a clone of a dead person. Any memories of "the other side" would have been implanted when he was created. He'd probably want to change his name and say things like "Melfore knew you, let me introduce myself".

So for me it would have turned it into a fun RP opportunity. Whether or not a cleric would have been willing to raise Melfore from the dead is a whole other question, but one only the DM can decide that.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Yeah, if the player is done with that character so be it.

I would go the warlock way. Not with a typical patron though, but one of the Gods/Godesses seeking a tool or material form of their will. Offering to allow them life returned, in service to them. I wouldn't necessarily want to negotiate a life-time of service, but a particular task that the deity wants accomplished. Perhaps it isn't even one that he/she/it wants ties to, but nevertheless needs the job done. Being a secret, and kind of unwilling tool of the Gods would be fun for a bit, and a bit is all you need to complete that quest or task.

Remove ads