Hugh Grant the next Doctor (Who)

I confess, I haven't seen him since <checks imdb> Cloud Atlas and otherwise mostly knew him from 90s rom coms. Other very British and very charming (either honestly or deceptively*), I never really got a strong bead on him. Other than him being an already famous talent, is this especially different from other new Doctors?
*As in, the characters in the movie are supposed to be smitten by him, and we the audience know he's a cad but can still see how they fall for it.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I'm a fan of all things Who, but the franchise arguably needs a shot in the arm, and a big name like Hugh Grant could be just the thing. Despite his recent roles, he can still play charming, and that's a common approach to the role. I guess he could play it more curmudgeonly, too, but that seems like a bad idea for the show right now. Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd only do one series/season.

(I'm assuming he's in talks to play The Doctor. If it's a different role on the show, that's a whole other matter).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm a fan of all things Who, but the franchise arguably needs a shot in the arm, and a big name like Hugh Grant could be just the thing.
Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd only do one series/season.

Some sources I am seeing this morning are talking about a movie. Putting a big name like Grant in makes sense if you are looking at the silver screen.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Some sources I am seeing this morning are talking about a movie. Putting a big name like Grant in makes sense if you are looking at the silver screen.
That makes sense, too, especially as part of the expansion of the franchise that Davies is reportedly shooting for.

Very interesting!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
funnily enough first thing I thought when seeing this was that Doctor Hugh has a similar look to Paul McGann, so yeah I could see another movie in order to reinvigorate the franchise and then Doctor Hugh can grant a single season :p

lets just hope they dont bring back the Master as some kind of shiny snake-thing

Remove ads