Babylon Who

MarkB

Legend
Hmm. As much as I enjoyed Babylon 5, JMS went kind-of off the rails with Crusade. I'd prefer him as a writer than a showrunner.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Seems ... unlikely. The "BBC process" that he is referring to probably means that they are already exploring other options.

That said, while he has certainly had the occasional misfire, JMS might be the exact shock to the system that Who needs. I can't help but think that they have now effectively wasted two complete iterations of the Doctor (both Capaldi and Whittaker are, in my estimation, amazing Doctors who were largely let down by the show and the scripts).

MarkB

Legend
Mostly not JMS's fault. Are you aware of the slew of nonsense the network required as things went on? They decided they wanted to make the show a good lead in... to pro wrestling...
What they wanted was an action-packed space cowboys show. Which is what JMS pitched them, and then proceeded to do his own thing, and was shocked and appalled when they told him to actually deliver the show they'd commissioned.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What they wanted was an action-packed space cowboys show. Which is what JMS pitched them, and then proceeded to do his own thing, and was shocked and appalled when they told him to actually deliver the show they'd commissioned.

Right. So, you going to back up that accusation of, in effect, his lying in a professional situation? Or are you just going to make it unfounded and hope nobody calls you on it?

MarkB

Legend
Right. So, you going to back up that accusation of, in effect, his lying in a professional situation? Or are you just going to make it unfounded and hope nobody calls you on it?
Why not? You were happy to level similar accusations at the network. What I stated matches my memory of what happened at the time, and I was a massive B5 fan then, and keeping as much in the loop as possible.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why not? You were happy to level similar accusations at the network.

No, I did not. You said JMS pitched a thing, and then went back on his pitch. I didn't say the network went back on any agreement - I said they asked for changes as the production went on, which is generally within their rights, but stupid.

Remove ads