Hugh Grant the next Doctor (Who)

Well, at that point, Morrus could travel to an alternate universe where Morrus plays the Doctor.

Though, again, I think they want universe, not multiverse.

Doctor Who has already done the parallel universes and alternate Earths and variants of the Doctor being in the same episodes together, so this show is really the original multiverse.

If I recall correctly, though, with possibly one exception, all the variant doctors are in the same timeline.

I don't remember for sure either, and they did it several times. I think the one with the War Doctor feels the most like they were alternate time line Doctors being brought together.

MarkB

Legend
If I recall correctly, though, with possibly one exception, all the variant doctors are in the same timeline.
Yeah, they're not variants so much as exactly the same person at different points in their lifetime.

They have parallel worlds as something that exists, but have really only visited one of them, and that one was shut away in the end. That universe supposedly did have its own Doctor, but that Doctor had died at some point.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't remember for sure either, and they did it several times. I think the one with the War Doctor feels the most like they were alternate time line Doctors being brought together.

I think they were explicitly the same timeline. The War Doctor (played by John Hurt) is from the period of the Time War between the Daleks and Timelords, between what we otherwise call the 8th Doctor (played by Paul McGann) and the 9th (played by Eccleston). We are even shown that regeneration.

And, having reviewed, the one I thought might have been from an alternate timeline (the Valeyard) is not - at least, that's not one of the several different origins given for the character, and teh character has not appeared on screen in the modern era of the show anyway.

There is one novel that includes an alternate timeline, but it is effectively sealed off in an alternate Tardis, and is not directly involved in canon.

MarkB

Legend
I thought Petes World (Rose Tylers dad) was in a different dimension and had its own Doctor
Had, past tense. After Rose gets stranded there she winds up cannibalising the TARDIS from that dimension into a dimensional cannon allowing her to cross between worlds. She's able to do that because that TARDIS's owner is already dead, as of sometime before they first visited.

Remove ads