I got Monte Cook's World of Darkness

A fast comparison with the D&D classes.

Awakened, Demons and Vampires have 3/4 BAB like the Cleric. Mages have 1/2 BAB just like Wizards. Werewolves have full BAB.

Hit Dice:
Awakened: d8
Demons: d8/d10
Mages: d6
Vampires: d8 (Vampires do get bonus hp from CON)
Werewolves: d12

Awakened are hyper competent. 8 + INT skill points pr level, 11 bonus feats, 4 skill focus bonus feats.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Ok, let me help with a question.

What's the power scale?

If the PCs start at 4th level, what's an average human? 0 level? 1st level? Or on another power track entirely?

What kind of stats would a competent Vampire Hunter have, for example?

Irda Ranger

First Post
Alisair Longreach said:
If you ignore the modern day stuff I tthink McWoD could be used together with the D&D rules. All the five types start as 4th level characters with 4 hit dice, skill points, two feats and +1 to an ability score.
Shades of Dark Sun ...

Well, that avoids the "1st level PC's are too fragile" complaints ...

Alisair Longreach said:
McWoD does not use the massive damage rules, instead the damage dice are applied as CON damage with a critical hit.
Oof! That'll take the wind out of your sails. I like the rule though.

More!

More on the magic system.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Just saw it in the store, but didn't buy as it was damaged.

Some randome notes.

In short it looks like a WoD book: edgy formating and too much fiction, but reads more like d20.

It relies heavily on the Modern SRD. Abilities, skills, a lot of feats, much equipment, the vehicle rules, are from Modern. But not everything. E.g critical hits do con damage.

Each race (vampire, werewolf, mage, the others) are treated like classes. As noted above, each gets its own list of feat/talent type things. This is nice: they are pretty diferentiated, but also very flexible.

As noted spells are built from "components", which act as a spell point cost, and I guess DC for a skill. So by chosing range, area, and the type of thing it does, you determine the component cost. It also has "rotes" which have pre-calculated costs (and you see the cost break down). Mages are divided into traditions, which determine which effects and rotes they can use.

Overall, the twist in this is that most classes, er I mean, races, (or whatever they are), are inherently bad, and working for the bad guys. (ok, technically vampire, werewolves, and demons are bad, awakened good and mages in between), But not yours! You are an exception, and you and the other exceptions can go out an kick some but together. Or at least that is my quick take.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I am not generally a WoD fan, but I am glad Monte decided to take this project on.

I don't know why, I can't explain it, it just feels cool.

Skills include everything in the PHB plus the modern stuff.

Computer Use, Demolitions, Drive, Navigate, Pilot, Repair, Research.

Feats include the general feats from PHB plus some new.

Sneak Attack and Evasion are feats. A couple feats deals with defense and a few grants extra combat options.

No +2/+2 skill feats, they are rolled into the Skilled feat.

Special abilities. Demons, Mages, Vampires and Werewolves gain a speclial ability at 1st level, 2nd level and every two levels after.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Alisair Longreach said:
McWoD does not use the massive damage rules, instead the damage dice are applied as CON damage with a critical hit.

Do vampires (undead) have CON stats then, or are they handled differently?

Remove ads