I got Monte Cook's World of Darkness

About power scaling.

Vampires seems a bit wussy, especially compared to a standard D&D Vampire.

Werewolves look like scary combat monsters.

Mages looks likely to be accounting nightmares.

Awakened are better than Rogues except for the lack of Sneak Attack damage.

Monte states in the DM section that McWoD is about the characters, not their equipment.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I ordered this from Amazon today; I figured it would not be available until after GenCon. I can't wait; all this info is exciting. :)

Werewolves only have wolflike forms. They have three forms, standard human, hybrid form and beast form.

Vampires, even though they are undead, they do have a CON score and gain bonus hp.

Vampires are not fully undead in the D&D sense. They are living humans with two souls in one body. The other soul is an invading evil spirit of a dead human which grants vampire abilities.

Mages can at 12th level transform themselves into a Lich which grants a defense bonus and makes the harder to kill. The downside is a degrading CON score which can be staved by eating souls.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Alisair Longreach said:
About power scaling.

Vampires seems a bit wussy, especially compared to a standard D&D Vampire.

Werewolves look like scary combat monsters.
[Snip]...

That makes sense after all, WoD vampires do not have an energy drain touch attack nor do you require magic weapons to hit them. Also, the fact that wws are combat monsters does fit's the ww stereotype.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Alisair Longreach said:
Vampires, even though they are undead, they do have a CON score and gain bonus hp.

Thanks for the info. :)

I kind of like this approach, actually.

Alisair Longreach said:
Vampires are not fully undead in the D&D sense. They are living humans with two souls in one body. The other soul is an invading evil spirit of a dead human which grants vampire abilities..

That's an interesting concept. Could you tell me more about this invading other soul?

The Vampires other soul is always the spirit of an evil, dead human. This evil spirit invade and possess the body of an innocent human whose soul get locked away but may resurface in certain situations. Essentially a Vampire has multiple personality disorder.

Werewolves are humans who share their body with alien, raging spirit. It is something like the Incredible Hulk.

Demons are not human at all. They are alien spirits with a body created of junk, masqueraiding as humans.

Mages are humans who have found out that magic really works. Yes, you can play a Harry Potter wannabe or a Gandalf poser.

The campaign premise of Monte Cook's World of Darkness is that "something" happened and left 500 miles wide crater seething with unnatural energies in the middle of the USA.

Some people were possessed by the spirits of an evil person and turned into Vampires.

Some people were possessed by alien, raging spirits and turned into Werewolves.

Some people discovered that magic really works and call themselves Mages (or shamans, occultists, wizards or whatever they want).

Some people have a firm sense about what the world is and function as a kind of spiritual anchor that prevent the universe from being destroyed. They are usually dedicated and very competent.

Some alien spirits fashioned a body for themselves to infiltrate human society, they are known as Demons.

So is trying to recreate OWOD characters in d20 out of the question? it was really my only draw to this book. Being able ot take my power house Gangrel and seeing how he would stakc up in d20.

Remove ads