I got Monte Cook's World of Darkness

Particle_Man

Explorer
I can see the PC motivation for being "good" vampires or werewolves "I...am...in...control!" and mages can be good or evil and awakened are good guys.

What about "good" demons? Why do they try to save humanity?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Particle_Man said:
I can see the PC motivation for being "good" vampires or werewolves "I...am...in...control!" and mages can be good or evil and awakened are good guys.

What about "good" demons? Why do they try to save humanity?
Better to reign on Earth than to serve in Hell.

Gothmog

First Post
Alisair Longreach said:
The campaign premise of Monte Cook's World of Darkness is that "something" happened and left 500 miles wide crater seething with unnatural energies in the middle of the USA.

Some people were possessed by the spirits of an evil person and turned into Vampires.

Some people were possessed by alien, raging spirits and turned into Werewolves.

Some people discovered that magic really works and call themselves Mages (or shamans, occultists, wizards or whatever they want).

Some people have a firm sense about what the world is and function as a kind of spiritual anchor that prevent the universe from being destroyed. They are usually dedicated and very competent.

Some alien spirits fashioned a body for themselves to infiltrate human society, they are known as Demons.

I picked up my copy today, and I have mixed impressions of it. For a D20 conversion of WoD, its not bad, and its clearly meant to bring some D20 players over to WoD by teasing their curiousity. The ideas presented for vampires, werewolves, demons, mages, and awakened are good- slightly different than normal WoD, but not so much they are unrecognizable. I especially like the nods to Demon: The Fallen- probably the most evocative of the WoD games to date. I haven't gotten too far into the mechanics yet, but at first glance it looks pretty solid, if a little overly complicated (the step method of advancement (on page 311), while interesting, would likely also be an accounting nightmare).

What is pretty lame is the backstory. A huge bubble of "something" in the midwest called the Intrusion Point opened, and is left there, which had secondary metaphysical effects that lessened as the "shockwaves" emanated out from it. Its not terribly apparent what it is from the way the book is written, but from what I can gather, its essentially a portal into the Inconnu's reality. The Inconnu are completely alien minds supposedly not any more aware of us than we would be of stepping on a piece of gum on the sidewalk- an annoyance and ugly surprise, but thats it. The Inconnu then sent evil spirits or the spirits of our own evil dead (had to work that in ;) ) to explore our world and find out why our universe wasn't obliterated. Wait, weren't the Inconnu said to be completely unaware of us? Then how and why did they decide to send evil ghosts back to possess certain bodies (vampires). Everything within a certain radius of the Intrustion Point (the Annilhilation Zone) pretty much got nuked, turning the cities into ruins full of tech and supplies overrun with monsters. Meanwhile, the world still goes on mostly as normal outside the Zone, with occasional forays by supernatural forces into it. If the world outside is sliding downhill, but still has production capabilities, why would characters need to loot the Zone? The logic continues to break down from there.

I know the authors are different than the usual WoD ones, but this very much appears to be the frying pan to the face approach to post-apocalyptic horror- very little subtlety, with over the top "FX". The Zone is basically full of "dungeons", where the PCs venture in, kill stuff, and grab its loot, then retreat outside the Zone to "town". *sigh* I had hoped for a lot more from this product, but its the same old, same old again. I will admit it will appeal to the normal D&D audience, and hopefully get more people interested in the nWoD. But for me, the value of this product is minimal- I'd hoped for a well thought out supernatural post-apocalyptic world, but it looks like I'll have to design one on my own to use this product. :(

Last edited:

Abisashi

First Post
How hard would it be to run MCWoD like a normal WoD game? What (if any) rules interfere with that kind of play?

Not that I play WoD. But I am curious.

Last edited:

Here's my questions, does magic for Mages correspond to the Spheres/Arcana in the Mage games. Like Forces mainly doing the blowing stuff up type of things. And is there a difference in the spellcraft DC for overt and covert magics?

And something that's really really been on my mind with this Intrusion Point thing... Is how are the governments of the world handling this thing. Are they keeping any knowledge of the supernatural secret, and are claiming this event is a nuclear attack from terrorists?

There are no Spheres/Arcana for Mages in McWoD. The Component system is a very granular point system. There is flexibility and versatility but very little freeform.

I have played Mage: The Awakening a couple of times many years ago and what I remember of the magic system is that it is very vague, fuzzy and freeform with some nasty backlash Paradox rules.

With the Component system you check the Component tables, add the point costs, make the Spellcraft check and cast the spell. There is no backlash or Paradox.

Gothmog

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
And something that's really really been on my mind with this Intrusion Point thing... Is how are the governments of the world handling this thing. Are they keeping any knowledge of the supernatural secret, and are claiming this event is a nuclear attack from terrorists?

I read some more last night- the other governments of the world don't have any idea what is going on. The US government has set up a military perimeter around the Intrustion site, and is allowing relief aid and supplies to be sent by other countries, but is refusing to allow international troops to reduce the strain on domestic resources. Instead, the US gov't reinstituted the draft. :confused: Only the US gov't has any real idea what is going on, but they aren't sharing any information with anybody else. So for all intents and purposes, its pretty much business as usual for every world gov't.

Rangoric

First Post
Alisair Longreach said:
There are no Spheres/Arcana for Mages in McWoD. The Component system is a very granular point system. There is flexibility and versatility but very little freeform.

I have played Mage: The Awakening a couple of times many years ago and what I remember of the magic system is that it is very vague, fuzzy and freeform with some nasty backlash Paradox rules.

With the Component system you check the Component tables, add the point costs, make the Spellcraft check and cast the spell. There is no backlash or Paradox.

For now. I want to get this book, look at the OGL and see what it can be twisted into.

Even as a simplified WoD it sounds interesting and fun. But then I like WoD :)

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Alisair Longreach said:
I don't really know how closely the McWoD spell system resembles oWoD or nWoD spell systems but I think it is more granular and less freeform than the original systems.

The McWoD system is based on components. A Mage can spend a number of component points on spells based on his level.

An improvised spell is created by finding the Area, Range and Durations costss and then adding the cost of the effect. A Spellcraft check with a DC equal to the component cost is then made, if successfull, the points are subtracted from the Mage's component pool.

As an example an improvised weak magic missile would cost: Area: 1 target, 1 point. Range: 30 feet: 3 points. Duration: Instant: 0 points. Damage: 1d6 blunt damage: 1 point.
Spellcraft DC 5, cost: 5 component points.

There are around 100 Rote spells.
So it's basically like the Epic Spellcasting from D&D?

Remove ads