I got Monte Cook's World of Darkness

Jim Hague

First Post
Arashi Ravenblade said:
So is trying to recreate OWOD characters in d20 out of the question? it was really my only draw to this book. Being able ot take my power house Gangrel and seeing how he would stakc up in d20.

I don't believe it was ever marketed as being cross-compatible...

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
How do they handle things like clans and tribes? Are they mostly just a means of dividing up powers, or is there more to the choice then that?

Are clans etc taken from oWoD, or new, or are they mixed with some brand new stuff?

Mighty Veil

First Post
Alisair Longreach said:
The campaign premise of Monte Cook's World of Darkness is that "something" happened and left 500 miles wide crater seething with unnatural energies in the middle of the USA.

That sounds pretty stupid. Of all the premises that could of been used. This one sounds dumb (though Tom Cruise might be into its premise.)

The clans and tribes are used to differentiate powers.

Demons. Two types: Scourge and Tempter.

Mages. Five paths: Enchanter, Necromancer, Theurgist, Shaman, Warlock

Vampires. Five Cclans: Daeva, Gangrel, Mekhet, Nosferatu, Ventrue

Werewolves. Five auspices: Rahu, Cahalith, Elodoth, Ithauer, Irraka

As for cross-compatability there is a three page appendix with conversion notes for the "normal" World of Darkness and on how to include OGL stuff.

Arashi, you can convert your Gangrel character to McWoD stats.

There is also a couple of pages with recommended viewing and reading materials. Blade, Neil Gaiman and Lovecraft are mentioned. The Underworld movies are not mentioned though.

root.tar

First Post
Are the vampire clans and discipline the same like in the original wod? Or are there just similar names? What about the other clans?

I don't really know how closely the McWoD spell system resembles oWoD or nWoD spell systems but I think it is more granular and less freeform than the original systems.

The McWoD system is based on components. A Mage can spend a number of component points on spells based on his level.

An improvised spell is created by finding the Area, Range and Durations costss and then adding the cost of the effect. A Spellcraft check with a DC equal to the component cost is then made, if successfull, the points are subtracted from the Mage's component pool.

As an example an improvised weak magic missile would cost: Area: 1 target, 1 point. Range: 30 feet: 3 points. Duration: Instant: 0 points. Damage: 1d6 blunt damage: 1 point.
Spellcraft DC 5, cost: 5 component points.

There are around 100 Rote spells.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I just came home and found the my pre-order waiting on my doorstep.

Character Advancement...

Check this out. There are two ways of advancing characters, the standard level based method (Monte Cook was nice enough to have included an exp chart) and a "step" method. In the standard method you gain an additional feat every third level, how ever, unlike standard d20 you gain the ability modifier adjustment at levels 5, 9, 12, 15, and 18.

The "step method" basically allows your character to grow more fluidly. Every 1/4th of a level you gain one benefit associated with being a character of the next level. So basically if your a first level character you can gain your 2nd level HD and BAB at 500 exp, Your special ability at 1000exp, Defense/Saving Throws at 1500exp and your skills at 2000exp.

Last edited:

Remove ads