I have a confession - I am a rat bastard DM!

Pbartender

First Post
Merkuri said:
I guess so, but I still like my idea better. ;)

I'm interested to hear what the OP thinks. :)

It kind of depends on what tone you want to set... One way, he's an open enemy from the get-go, and pretty much stays that way until his friends figure out what to do with him. The other, he's a redeemed friend (or so they think) until they learn that he's a (possibly reluctant) double-agent for the bad guy.

One's really no better than the other... Just different styles.

kobold

First Post
MPA said:
I know the player was using mainly his orc character, but his other character is still his. PCs don't sudenly become JCs.
My first reaction is to disagree with MPA, but after thinking it through I think I'd try and come up with a convienient way of removing the 1/2orc for the session. Then have the player run Demitri, it would really trun up the tension and "role"-play, and I think be way more fun. Besides past experience tells me that no one is a more dificult enemy then another player no matter how well you as DM knwo the rules

Scribble

First Post
kobold said:
My first reaction is to disagree with MPA, but after thinking it through I think I'd try and come up with a convienient way of removing the 1/2orc for the session. Then have the player run Demitri, it would really trun up the tension and "role"-play, and I think be way more fun. Besides past experience tells me that no one is a more dificult enemy then another player no matter how well you as DM knwo the rules

I would agree and disagree.

Once the player decided the Orc was his new character, the other one becomes an NPC.

Now... if this were my campaign and the player decided he wanted to switch back to Dimitri... I'd allow it... but he would have to sacrifice a bit. ;)

I think it would be an excellent adition to the story if the player decided to bring back dimitri after the DM has him have a slight change of heart about killing the group...

Now you have an angst ridden character attempting to regain his friends, and his honor...

Michael Morris

First Post
As I said before, nothing is set in stone. I don't like playing in such situations and I'm not going to run them. I know how the encounter is set up - but we'll see how it goes.

Michael Morris

First Post
Well the party, upon hearing the kill order charged galantly into combat, except the rogue, who commenced to shooting anyone who shot at Demetri. Demetri got wounded bad enough to decide to cast invisibility and use a ring of flying to make good his escape, so he'll be back later.

Meanwhile the party hauls Samara up in front of a midlevel cleric and get's her geased to insure she doesn't attack the party again.

Party meanwhile finishes the tomb raid and learns the general location of 3 magic items they need to recover - a sword, a shield and a suit of armor. Elven lands have the sword, dwarves have the armor and the shield is on the plane of Ravnica (plane hopping is so much fun :) )

Meanwhile I'm going to reintroduce Demetri in a hellaciously more EVIL way. I was paging through the Monster Manual for random encounters - Dire Bear, Displacer Beast...

DOPPLEGANGER...

Hmm methinks.. Huge hmmm.. If the player really wants his old character back (and at this point I'm inclined to think he does) I can slip in the doppleganger as a spy of Triel's absolutely loyal to Triel -- Hell I can say the doppleganger was the one they fought already -- which opens the question, where is Demetri?

Anyway, still looking for evil Rat Bastardly ideas.

Here's something I created for the party at session start - a collage of group portraits to use as a desktop background (I use a projection screen to display the dungeon, so this gives them something to look at between scenery programs).

Attachments

• campaignwallpaper.jpg
    campaignwallpaper.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 159

Berandor

lunatic
Pbartender said what I would have said, stumbling here late: I would have had Demitri betray his master: "Kill my girlfriend? Are you insane?" (which I guess Triel is :))

Now, though, you might have Demitri approach Samara alone, thank her for her loyalty in the fight, and ask her to accompany him. He might even be able to get rid of that pesky geas. Demitri's intentions could be pure or twisted, as you like, since the rest of the party seemed to think nothing of attacking their former comrade. Demitri might even defend himself that he'd never gone through with killing them, but they rushed to attack him.

If you go the doppleganger route, the same could happen, but it's your choice whether Demitri or the doppleganger approached Samira. Of course, Demitri might even send a doppleganger intentionally to the party, now, so they doubt his change of hearts. He could still be evil. Or he could have stayed good and worked with Triel to uncover Triel's plot to assassinate the king, or to get a hand on Triel's Talisman of the Sphere and prevent its use for evil.

Ed_Laprade said:
This is the BF's fault. When he picked the Orc he should have stipulated that the Res didn't work.
Nah, just rejecting her after death isnt good enough. He wants to bleed her finances dry to...

No new shoes for you!

Remove ads