• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E I have been asked to try this again

doghead

thotd
SO based on these house rules what do you people who play pathfinder think the effect of them would be?

I used to be an unreconstructed system tinkerer. But over the last decade or so have found myself less and less interested in the mechanical bits, and so unable to talk to your original question. I just wanted to post for two reasons.

First, to wish you luck in finding a solution that allows you all to keep gaming and have fun doing so.

Second, reading the pitch, the setting struck me as being quite similar to Midnight by Fantasy Flight Games. IIRC, it was designed as a setting in which magic was harder to learn and more difficult to cast, thus, I am assuming, changing the melee vs caster class balance somewhat. I don't know whether or not it is a viable option, but I thought that I would mention it.

Again, best of luck.

thotd

Angrydad

First Post
so there are 3 "books" warder, stalker and warlord... so I can pay$8 each to get someone else's interpretation of the Bo9S, or I can just play 3.5 pay $0 more then I already have, and have all the classes I want.

Some how this is less of a money grad then the time WotC redid all the rules of the game making it far more balanced and fair... wow you know I am getting to the point where I wonder if people understand the idea of not wanting to pay for a revision.

You know what I totally would buy... alchemist and Magus and Gunslinger for 3.5... you know new things that add to my games, but I am not in the mood for there powergaming wizards and clerics that need 'more then spells' when spells are the most powerful thing in the game.

I have a question: what's stopping you from simply playing the 3.5 classes you'd like in a Pathfinder game? There might be a few slight modifications needed, but if you've got the Bo9S already and want to use it, I know it'd be quite simple.

tonight we talked about it and agreed to try this system... thinking about it now I think Ross tricked us. He knew we were all gun shy about PF but that we would die before playing with Kenders... so part of the comprmise was no kenders... I wonder if that was always part of his plan and built in negotiation...

He let us do a gonzo rolling method that has us all being super stars, and we are supposed to email him final stats. I will type up more later... next week we run Mage (oWod) and talk more about this then start the following week. We set it up to play two weeks of this (skipping rifts for feb) to try to give him and the sytem the most chance.

so now that I am a bit more awake, we did talk about homebrewing some rules to make the game more palatable, and in the emails people exchanged well I slept I got a bit more of the world view... He has removed any reference or idea of kenders and we have agreed to play.

We can’t be Lawful good or Chaotic evil, and stats are through the roof 4d6 reroll 1’s drop lowest then generate 8 numbers and take the 6 best… Only I don’t have an 18, and matt has 2. I do have every stat as 15-17 though, so I won’t complain.

Ok, so he is going to homebrew some cantrips and oresens based on 4e at wills, and he is going to pretty much gestalt a warblade

I am going to be a Dwarven Chaotic Good fighter… so I will start with 2 feats (1 bonus fighter), 3 maneuvers known 3 prepred and 1 stance known and d12hps following fighter chart with warbalde maneuvers and stances added and upgraded to d12 hp… I have focused mind trait and dirty fighting and I am starting with 32hp…
I right now have Sapphire night mare strike, Steel wind, and sudden leap with punishing stance
I have 17str 15dex 17con 16wis 14 int 16cha
I have a refluffed spike chain (in story a hook sword) I took prof (hook sword) and impr inti

Kurt is going to be a half elf Lawful Evil magus he wants cantrips for booming blade, green flame blade, and shielding agius he has an 18 int he is using 2 archtypes as well singer of blades and spell dancer (even though only half elf) he fights with a rapier he has the fencer and axe to grind traits 21hp he is going to use the cantrips (that make melee attacks using Int instead of Str or Dex as his main attacks)

Matt is going to be an elven Neutral Evil wizard he wants elven accuracy 1/encounter and scorching burst as a cantrip he has 18 int and con he is a Conjure bared schools Abjuration and enchantment he also asked for a home brew feat giving him 1d6 sneak attack. He also has a weapon called a dog slicer and wants it based on the card game, so he will be able to count rolls of 1 as 3 so his d6 will be 3,2,3,4,5,6 as the 6 sides… I don’t remember his traits (they weren't in the email he picked them out last night) but I think he lowers the cost of items he makes. 28hp

Joe is going to be a human Neutral Good cleric who is taking feats (Martial Study)to gain Bo9s maneuvers and wants a weapon based orison based on the 4e cleric with weapons things… he has an 18 wis he took crusader’s strike to augment healing… He has the Magic domain (Arcane special) and the War domain (Tactics special) he has a Warhammer and a gunsmithing feat (I’m unsure if it makes him prof or just lets him fix them) he has traits tactician and sacred touch 27hp

So the funny part is the wizard has the second highest hp it feels weird but since he had an extra 18 and no stat other then Int needed, he still walked away with good other stats too...

fire arms are in the game, and rare, like magic items, but one of us can make them, so that will be interesting.

So everyone has some homebrew fixs, and we are going with his idea of xp and hp, and saves like above... now what does everyone think of the house rules??

we got a little more background in why we are using pathfinder.

1st Ross had this idea for D&D next, but didn't want to run it by us who normally play because he wanted to surprise us. He went to Kurt's brother (Who only plays Pathfinder now) and when he helped him work it out it required prestige classes, and he was going to run it 3.5, but Kurt's brother convinced him to do it pathfinder by giving him all the PDFs, so he has every book now.

I'm not sure that makes me feel much better about this, but it is an explanation.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
We can’t be Lawful good or Chaotic evil, and stats are through the roof 4d6 reroll 1’s drop lowest then generate 8 numbers and take the 6 best… Only I don’t have an 18, and matt has 2. I do have every stat as 15-17 though, so I won’t complain.

No particular thoughts, but just letting you know it's being read.

And I couldn't resist the urge to point out that almost all fighters using 4d6 drop lowest are supposed to have an 18 strength! (Or so the class balance thread lead told me...).

Starfox

Hero
that is the problem, it doesn't address me...

1) I don't want to buy new books, I have 3.5
2) I don't like that they upped casters with more features
3) I think the spells need to be revamped
4) fighters are still boreing

Try actually playing the game, not just reading it. Pathjfinder is similar to 3.5, but it is not the same.

2 and 3 are very connected. A lot of 3.5 spells were heavily revised. And those caster abilities are fairly minor. Alltogether, PF casters are less than 3.5 casters-

4 is just not true. Armor training and combat maneuvers mean fighter are now able to do combat stunts similar to casters. If you find fighters boring, your games have too few of the interesting (non-big-six) magic items.

As for getting the books, d20srd.com is your friend. And free. As a player, I really see no need to own a single book.

I have 17str 15dex 17con 16wis 14 int 16cha

And I couldn't resist the urge to point out that almost all fighters using 4d6 drop lowest are supposed to have an 18 strength! (Or so the class balance thread lead told me...).
I know even though my stats look awesome, with a 14 low stat and 2 17 high stats I still can't find those auto 18's... but out of 4 players we do have 14 18's, just 2 on one character...:erm:

Remove ads