I have DMGII and Revenge of the Giants

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
What is the implied setting for RotG? Is it transferable to Eberron?

If the product doesn't say Eberron or Forgotten Realms (or Dark Sun next year) explicitly then the assumed setting is The World discussed in the DMG1.

I wouldn't worry too much, I will bet there will be a full conversion to both on the website much like H1 and H2 had. Even if they don't convert it shouldn't be too hard to convert it.

avin

First Post
Jack, how good is Sigil map compared to former versions of it?

Is it detailed?

You can see places such as the Mortuary in it?

Jack99

Adventurer
Jack, how good is Sigil map compared to former versions of it?

Is it detailed?

You can see places such as the Mortuary in it?

It's a full page map, so if you compare it to the huge poster map from the 2e box, you will obviously be disappointed. Most of the names on the map are districts, but you can see some of the big buildings, including the mortuary if my memory of the original map serves me right. It's not something that will wow you however.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Okay, I'm about to get tarred and feathered by the Planescape crowd ;), but...

I'm out of feathers, but how about tar, vrock spores, and razorvine? ;)

Rebuses were a cool, albeit very quirky idea. But they gave Sigil more unique character, even if it was something that probably most DMs handwaved to some degree rather than actually making up visual puzzles to show at the table (though anyone that did was awesome).

But for folks who find it a bit too odd or quirky, play Torment. Seriously. You'll look at them differently afterwards: not so much quirky as alien, distant, not fitting in and jarring at times as a result if you interact with them heavily. They bleed some of that unsettling atmosphere that The Lady has.

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Adamok Ebon, A'kin, Alluvius Ruskin, Arwyl Swan's Son, Autochon the Bellringer, Balthazaar Thames, Black Marian, Caravan, Estavan, Fell (the rogue Dabus), Kesto Brighteyes, Kylie, Lissandra the Gate-Seeker, Lothar the Old, Ramander the Wise, Rhys, Rule-of-Three, Shemeshka the Marauder, Tattershade (King of Rats), The Us, Vocar the Disobedient and Zadara.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Somebody did their background reading there, because some of those names are semi-obscure or never appeared in 3e material.

So questions:
Any of them get illustrations? And what illustrations does the Sigil chapter get beyond the one map?

Starting with the 'loths: what is said about A'kin and Shemmy?
The potential 'loth-spawn: Kylie?
Those working for the 'loths: Adamok Ebon, Autochon the Bellringer, Ramander?

Any mention of former Faction bigs and what they're up to in the current political climate? And who sits on the Sigil Advisory Council?

Rebuses were a cool, albeit very quirky idea. ... But for folks who find it a bit too odd or quirky...

You misunderstand. I don't find them too "odd or quirky." I can deal with "odd or quirky."

I found the concept flat-out stupid. Playing Torment won't change my mind, any more than eating exceptionally well cooked spinach will change the fact that I hate spinach. It's one of those things--like the sparkling vampires in Twilight--that I find unappealing on a fundamental, conceptual level.

Crothian

First Post
Any of them get illustrations? And what illustrations does the Sigil chapter get beyond the one map?

3 in the whole section. I am very disappointed in the art.

A'kin: friendly, polite, knows lots of secrets.
Shem: King of the Cross-trade, one of the most feared, hated, and powerful creatures in Sigil
Worked for Autochon, now runs own gang

avin

First Post
You misunderstand. I don't find them too "odd or quirky." I can deal with "odd or quirky."

I found the concept flat-out stupid. Playing Torment won't change my mind, any more than eating exceptionally well cooked spinach will change the fact that I hate spinach. It's one of those things--like the sparkling vampires in Twilight--that I find unappealing on a fundamental, conceptual level.

I wouldn't say stupid. Maybe Lady of Pain wish to keep communication with Dabus distant, well at least until the Faction War.

I don't use rebus too.. but I think you should give Torment a chance... you won't regret, it's not like spinach ;)

Jack99

Adventurer
None of the faces. Sigil only gets the map, one picture of a dragonborn where you can see the city above him and finally one of the entrance to The Great Foundry (I think). Kinda sad.

A'kin is a raavasta and owner of the Friendly Fiend, an exceptional magic trinket shop. He seems to know a lot of secrets.

Shemmy's range of knowledge is only matched by her vicious temper. She is the most prominent chant-broker in Sigil, a position gained via a huge network of spies. She ensures that the power players of Sigil rely on her. She controls several powerful characters by having ensured their debt, such as Autochon the Bellringer and Ramander the Wise. Due to all these things, she is the most hated, feared and powerful creatures in the Cage.

Kylie is a tiefling that worked for Autochon, but when she quit and he (it?) wanted to kill her, Shemmy stepped in and forbade her killing. She now runs her own gang of couriers.

Those working for the 'loths: Adamok Ebon, Autochon the Bellringer, Ramander?
Ramander: Master of Portals. He buys land with portals or extorts those that own it until he pays Ramander big fees.

Adamaok: Bladeling hunter and assassin, sometimes work for Shemmy.

Autochon: Master of Couriers. Controls most messages that are passed between the residents of the Cage. He uses magically enchanted couriers to ensure that only the one supposed to gets the message. He is also rumored to have a deal with the Temple of the Abyss.

All the above covers most mentioned, but paraphrased (to varying degree).

Any mention of former Faction bigs and what they're up to in the current political climate? And who sits on the Sigil Advisory Council?
Council has 9 seats, but only one is mentioned. Rhys, former leader of the Transcendent Order.

Other power players mentioned are the Sons of Mercy (led by Swan's son), the Mutual Trade Association, run by Shemmy, Estavan (oni mage) and Zadara (storm giant).

Remove ads