• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have DMGII and Revenge of the Giants

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Dabus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rebus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never really investigated Planescape, but I agree entirely with Mouse - especially as it's an idea that fails utterly at the game table. You ask the Dabus a question. What is the DM doing? Trying to draw a rebus to reply with? Huh?

Cheers!

Yeah, and for we DMs with no artistic talent to speak of, that's doubly-hard. ;)

I kind of like the idea of the one Dabus named Fell running a tattoo parlor, but that's about it. Even at that, I can't see anyone doing business with one unless they're easily understood. Maybe they had to learn common as a secondary language?

Klaus

First Post
When I DMed Planescape back in the days of Skills & Powers, I had the dabus comunicate through "visual telepathy" (you didn't get a voice in your head, you got flashing images).

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Would you mind sharing more about the Rod of Seven Parts? It's the big MacGuffin for my current 4e game, and I was wondering what level it was. A +7 enhancement bonus might put the assembled Rod just a wee bit outside my current Paragon tier campaign... ;)

Jack99

Adventurer
Just home for a few minutes before heading out again...

DMGII said:
When a Dabus needs to communicate with someone, it does so with gestures and sign language, and occasionally in form of a Rebus.

I guess that covers both the lovers and the haters ;)

Re: the rod of seven parts - it's heroic to epic level.

Basically, it's an implement (rod), +1 per segment. 1d6/+ crit, 1d10 vs elementals.

It has a few properties. One target of any healing power can roll a saving throw and +1 item bonus/segment to diplomacy, intimidate and religion.
It's only when the 7 parts are together that you can use it as a +7 mace.

Obryn

Hero
Did they get rid of that ridiculous idea of the dabus communicating only in visual rebuses? Of all the goofy details of all the settings back to the earliest days of D&D, I think that was one of the ones that I absolutely hated the most.
I couldn't agree more. It was one of the more ridiculous elements of the setting, IMO, and it really threw me for a loop while running Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

I don't care the reason - whatever the reason, there are better ways to do it. If the point is that they're remote, then make them remote in other ways. Rebuses aren't remote and mysterious. Rebuses are silly games played in elementary school.

EDIT:
When a Dabus needs to communicate with someone, it does so with gestures and sign language, and occasionally in form of a Rebus.
Great. Now they play charades, too. :)

Well, at least that's easier from a DM standpoint... Still...

-O

hailstop

First Post
Just home for a few minutes before heading out again...

I guess that covers both the lovers and the haters ;)

Re: the rod of seven parts - it's heroic to epic level.

Basically, it's an implement (rod), +1 per segment. 1d6/+ crit, 1d10 vs elementals.

It has a few properties. One target of any healing power can roll a saving throw and +1 item bonus/segment to diplomacy, intimidate and religion.
It's only when the 7 parts are together that you can use it as a +7 mace.

Does it come across as having a personality or is it just a dumb artifact?

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Does the Revenge of the Giants book use the standard 4e encounter display -- two page spread with a mini-map and stat blocks?

Is there a pull-out map in the book?

Are there any note on running the adventure in the beginning, especially the use of dungeon tiles to match the encounters (as was done in Dungeon Delve)?

winndwalker

Explorer
Are there any note on running the adventure in the beginning, especially the use of dungeon tiles to match the encounters (as was done in Dungeon Delve)?

I really liked that about Dungeon Delve, but I found it to be restricting in a way. I'd start digging for the exact tiles rather than just stay with the spirit of the encounter, make sure I had the same or similar terrain features, and go with it. It makes sense and it's a nice way to tie two of their products together, but I'd say it's a limiting design element.

Anyway, I also had a question about the artwork in Revenge of the Giants. I really like how they've been including sets of pictures separate from the rest of the module in the first adventure path and things like Seekers of Ashen Crown. Is there a section in the book with a bunch of highlight images?

Jack99

Adventurer
Is the Giants book a boxset or a single hard cover?
Hardcover, 160 pages.

Does the Revenge of the Giants book use the standard 4e encounter display -- two page spread with a mini-map and stat blocks?

Is there a pull-out map in the book?

RotG is exactly like all the other WotC adventures. Just put together in a hardback and with the map attached to the back cover.

Anyway, I also had a question about the artwork in Revenge of the Giants. I really like how they've been including sets of pictures separate from the rest of the module in the first adventure path and things like Seekers of Ashen Crown. Is there a section in the book with a bunch of highlight images?
I must be failing at English. What is highlight images?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads