• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) I like the new Warlock

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yea, I can't see how making short rests easier would really impact balance, unless they were made too easy and parties started taking 7-8 a day or something like that.

I mean, the assumed balance is 2 short rests before a long rest; the real balance issue is that most people don't actually do that because short rests are too fiddly.
I agree.
It's not because you can still use an old Warlock for the most part with the new rules but you can really use a much shorter short rest as well with the old rules.

Makes sense.
In my Eberron campaign, a short rest is 5 minutes. I've adjusted nothing else to compensate. It's fine.

mamba

Legend
I mean, I don’t agree that it sucks, like, at all. But, if tweaks can be made that improve it for the people who do have issues, I’m for that. So long as it doesn’t upend the very positive experience my players and I are having with it. Which putting everyone on the same recovery system would absolutely do.
I am not sure I understand what doing so would take away. Let’s say you have the same number of spell slots but one gets two and recharges them twice a day, what does that get you that having six slots all along does not?

mamba

Legend
It is a bad thing to take the 1 example of short rest caster and remove it and put yet another long rest caster in it's place... long rest full and half casters are a dime a dozen.
if the only distinguishing feature were the way they recharge, I’d agree (I question why I would keep a nuisance like the Warlock around when better options exist however), but the recharge mechanic is the least interesting part of any class to me.

The more everyone is in sync, the better. There are many other ways to accomplish meaningful differences

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I am not sure I understand what doing so would take away. Let’s say you have the same number of spell slots but one gets two and recharges them twice a day, what does that get you that having six slots all along does not?
I’ve answered this question twice already from two different people in two different threads. Just see my post here:
Speaking for myself, that would be unsatisfying, because now I have to manage 6 spell slots over the course of a whole adventuring day instead of managing just 2 spell slots over the course of about an encounter or two. I don’t like managing resources over a whole adventuring day. That’s much more difficult to make good predictions about, so I end up hoarding my spell slots and never using them. With short rest recovery I only have to evaluate, “do I need to use this limited resource now?” instead of “when over the course of six encounters am I going to have the greatest need to use this limited resource?”

Charlaquin

if the only distinguishing feature were the way they recharge, I’d agree (I question why I would keep a nuisance like the Warlock around when better options exist however), but the recharge mechanic is the least interesting part of any class to me.
Yeah, strong disagree. The recharge mechanics change the entire decision tree’s regarding resource management.
The more everyone is in sync, the better. There are many other ways to accomplish this
Strongly disagree here too. More variety = more interesting.

mamba

Legend
I’ve answered this question twice already from two different people in two different threads. Just see my post here:
so analysis paralysis. I assume you mostly use 1 slot per encounter, in rare cases two. Just keep doing that and the result will be basically the same

mamba

Legend
Yeah, strong disagree. The recharge mechanics change the entire decision tree’s regarding resource management.
yes, and now people are on different branches and things start getting messy with whether to short rest or not and whether it is possible / feasible

It’s not an interesting decision tree on the short rest branch either

Charlaquin

so analysis paralysis.
Oh, no, I make decisions. It’s just that when managing a lot of resources across an adventuring day, I generally decide to save them. And then they go to waste because the day is over before what feels like the right moment to use them never arrives. This is of course exacerbated by the tendency for other players who are less frugal with their resources to insist that we take a long rest after fewer than 6 encounters.
I assume you mostly use 1 slot per encounter, in rare cases two. Just keep doing that and the result will be basically the same
You assume wrong. At a guess, I’d say I probably don’t use any slots in about half of my encounters, one slot in a quarter, and both slots in a quarter. But that’s a very rough estimate. On an Eldritch Blast focused build I’ll usually spend the first slot on Hex right away, since it can theoretically last across multiple encounters and I want to maximize its uptime, but I don’t often do those builds any more. If I don’t do that, I’ll try not to use any slots if the fight seems winnable without one, unless I spot an opportunity to use one to end a fight quickly and save everyone else some resources. Either way, once I’ve spent the first one, I save the second until people start getting below half HP. When that starts happening, I know they’re likely to want to take a short rest to spend hit dice soon, so I want to use my slots before then.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads