• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I made a DM Screen

Rifken

First Post
I have a request for any screen. I would like the target xp chart (for encounters) Then i would have no need for my dmg at the table

elandy

First Post
With the new update released I look foward to see the great DM Screen by Klaus updated.

I`ve found also a little mistake, in the second page the reference to "Your Turn" should be PHB 268, and not DMG 268.

Also I would love to see the titles of the skills in bold and/or in a different font, because is a little difficult to see them with a quick glance.

By the way, your DM Screen is great!

Dave0047

First Post
With the new update released I look foward to see the great DM Screen by Klaus updated.

I`ve found also a little mistake, in the second page the reference to "Your Turn" should be PHB 268, and not DMG 268.

Also I would love to see the titles of the skills in bold and/or in a different font, because is a little difficult to see them with a quick glance.

By the way, your DM Screen is great!

First of all, I would like to say, THESE SCREENS ROCK! These are some of the best custom GM screens I've seen for any RPG! :D

Second, I second elandy, that since there's a new update to the DMG, PHB, and MM as of the 11th I would LOVE to see an updated screen. I actually am running a session tonight (after a 2 week break) so ANY haste on this would be infinitely appreciated, and considered a miracle, lol.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

I have made a pdf DM Screen. I tried to include tables and information that would be helpful in the heat of things (and some information that I have trouble remembering).
Let me know what you all think and if you think I left something out that should have been included, or if there is something in the pdf that seems unnecessary.

note: Do let me know if production of said DM screen is copyright infringement in any way and I will remove the download.
I really like this formatting; it's not as busy compared to some of the other ones, so it's easier on the eyes, but it's horribly out of date. Perhaps if screen creators would post their templates, the community could help keep them up-to-date?

arnaudg

First Post
I really like this formatting; it's not as busy compared to some of the other ones, so it's easier on the eyes, but it's horribly out of date. Perhaps if screen creators would post their templates, the community could help keep them up-to-date?
I support this request. Great job.

DaveyB

First Post
I uploaded the horizontal screen to Staples, had them photo print it (about $3), and about 45 minutes of work later, here's the results.

I already had the foamcore board and the tape, I build RC airplanes. :)

Relbanan, is that any special kind of foamcore board? Can it be bought at any craft store like Michaels? Also, what kind of tape are you using to hold it together and what are the pages put into? Thanks in advance! That's the kind of screen I'd like to assemble.

Asmor

First Post
Can you do a save as to .doc and re-up it? Some folks won't have open office, won't want it, or will be working on a computer they're not allowed to install it on.

Funny, I feel the same way whenever someone uploads a .doc or .xls (particularly the latter, since complicated, formula-driven spreadsheets rarely make the transition well...). I don't doubt your point, that some number of people can't install OpenOffice.org for whatever reason, but I strongly suspect that number is much lower than the number of people who can't install MS Office for whatever reason (e.g. don't have a license for it). The nice thing about Oo_O is that you're only restricted by technical/policy limitations, whereas MS Office restricts you for financial reasons as well.

All that said, in general I find it's best to just distribute things like this as a PDF, and OpenOffice.org has pretty good PDF export support, and it keeps everyone happy.

Finally, just on a quick perusal, I don't see example skill DCs... That would be very helpful, I think.

Guyanthalas

First Post
After reading this post for a while, I decided to take a crack at making my own DM screen. I kept getting new ideas while doing it, and I’m exceptionally pleased with the results.
To start with, we bought a foam core board at JoAnn’s (about $3.00) and cut it into 4 segments. The segments were spray painted black (yes, you can probably buy black foam core, I just didn’t look hard), then duck taped together to form a hinge at each panel connection. It was important to measure this correctly has it needed to lie (relatively) flat when not in use and folded up.
Originally the plan was to just make a three panel DM screen as I thought 4 panels was too much to have on the gaming table at one time. My friend Tim gave me the inner panel idea (swing flap) that can swing back and forth:
[sblock="Swing Flap"]
IMAGE_039.jpg

IMAGE_040.jpg

[/sblock]
This was a brilliant modification and allowed for two modes that the screen can be in; Story mode and combat mode. I’ll start by explaining story mode. Important note! This is a birthday gift for our dungeon master, and he is left handed. I imagine that if you are right handed you would want to change the position of the swing flap and probably do these flaps in reverse order.
[sblock="Story Mode"]
IMAGE_038.jpg

[/sblock]
Player Character (Far right):
We purchased report cover folders at OfficeMax ($4.50?) and I super glued the plastic holder to the top of the board (it’s the green piece). The concept was to print out a list of our current party (see below), and put it behind the plastic cover. This way it could be easily written on with a Visa-vi (wet-erase marker), and updated as the DM sees fit. My thoughts were penalties and enhancements. Hopefully this will stop the DM from asking “Does a 16 vs. reflex hit you, Guy?”
[sblock="PC Tab"]
IMAGE_033.jpg

[/sblock]
The detailed character sheet is produced more clearly below. As you can see it has all the important defenses and what I considered important “passive” skill checks. I forgot religion, but will add that in later if need be. Also of note is the “Bloodied?” and “AP?” field. These are meant to be check boxes. Some monsters do different things to bloodied foes, so it might be useful for the DM to know. The AP field is useful for characters to be “reminded” that they already used an action point this encounter.
Also of important note: I did not have my parties stats on hand when making this (and they failed to reply to my text messages), so I made up a joke list of party members. These are not our scores or the characters we are playing, but inside jokes about the kind of people we are. Don’t read into it. ;-)
[sblock="PC Sheet"]
PCChart.jpg

[/sblock]
Story (Middle):
This part changes the most during the game, and I wanted there to be an easy way to put up the campaigns notes easily. I used magnets for this task (OfficeMax $2.50), and a flap of cloth to hold them together in a strap like fashion to prevent them from getting lost (JoAnne’s, $1.69). Super glued the magnets to the cloth, and now it clips to the front and back of the board. It holds quite a few pages at a time (20 was my test) and could probably do more with stronger magnets. If you wanted you could probably use some sort of clip as well, but I was worried a clip would damage the foam core when it closes.
[sblock="Story Tab"]
IMAGE_037.jpg

IMAGE_036.jpg

[/sblock]
Skill Checks (right side of swing flap):
This was included because I thought it was one of the more useful things in the DM Screen posted by Klaus. Thanks by the way for all of your efforts! Its just a reference sheet and doesn’t change. My place of business has a laminator, so I have no idea how much that would cost normally.
[sblock="Skill Tab"]
Skills.jpg

[/sblock]
Combat Mode:
Swing in the swing flap and we enter combat mode. All of the things displayed now are combat related. You’ll notice that the PC flap is still visible but the story board has been covered up. I figure that the PC tab will always be useful, and it should be visible in both combat and story mode.
[sblock="Combat Mode"]
IMAGE_034.jpg

[/sblock]
Combat Conditions (left side of swing flap, now middle of screen):
This is another extremely useful DM screen piece made by Klaus. As with the other side of the swing flap, this is not meant to be changed or edited (unless some errata is made known). It has all the nice little information in regards to combat.
[sblock="Combat Info"]
Combat.jpg

[/sblock]
Monsters! (Far left flap):
This has the same setup as the PC flap. A report cover plastic holder super glued to the top. A monster spreadsheet was printed out and put into the middle and can be written on with a wet erase marker. I thought that monster name, running damage total and bloodied were important things to know. Bloodied is a check box again. Again, this should be blank when you put it into your screen and modified as the DM sees fit depending on which combat s/he is running. The current monsters are just (hopefully obviously) jokes. I left enough space for seven monsters, but with some tweaks I can imagine this holding much more then that.
[sblock="Monster Tab"]
IMAGE_035.jpg

[/sblock]
Cover Art:
The outside has been decorated by various art I found on the ENWorld forums. I think its important that art goes on the outside! Great job artists, you have a talent that I wish I had!
Beholder (middle): http://www.enworld.org/forum/art-gallery-cartography-miniatures-painting/242224-3d-art-i-beholder.html#post4492420
Illithid and Dragon: Somewhere on the forums that I can’t find now. L I’ll update this as soon as I find them again.
[sblock="DM Screen Art"]
IMAGE_032.jpg

[/sblock]
There you have it folks, Guyanthalas’s DM Screen 4000. (Or some catchy name at least). Feel free to comment on it, as I’m curious what you may think! Happy gaming and thanks a lot for all the brain seeds you provided!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads