I would like to buy a MEGA-adventure

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Verdigris said:
I almost ran "Necropolis" but decided against it for this reason:

Although it is big and has a cool alt.ranger and some neat monsters, it also had various nonsensical traps and such[...]
You'll want to avoid Rappan Athuk, then, as it has plenty of that same kind of nonsense.

MUKid

First Post
Rappan Athuk, and a traitor

I played parts of Rappan Athuk over one summer once. It's pretty fun, if you all you want is dungeon crawling hack and slash. Not much roleplaying at all, but fun, if you're in the right mood. And funny -- wait till you see the Dung Golem.

The best adventure I ever played, ever, wasn't for D&D but for Call of Cthulhu. Beyond the Mountains of Madness just rocked. I ran this for a group of friends over about five or six months of time, and it was the most fun campaign I've ever run. My players agreed. We had so much fun, and we still talk about it all the time (and it was three years ago). If you ever decide to try something non-D&D, I highly recommend it. It makes fantastic reading, too -- genuinely scary stuff.

It came out before CoC d20, but I bet you could convert it pretty easily. Cthulhu tends to be much more stat-light than your typical D&D game, if only because in every fight the characters have a good chance to die, and a much better chance to GO INSANE! :eek:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Wombat said:
At this point I'm holding out for a mega-adventure set in the world of The Diamond Throne.

AU rocks! :D

Well, I don't know if Seige on Ebonring Keep by MEG meets your definition of Mega, but it's 144 pages and takes players from 1st-5th level. Good stuff, expect review soon.

JeffB

Legend
Most of the mega adventures I've seen for 3E are pretty..bleh

I would reccomend getting a hold of some the older version megas and convert them: A series, T1-4, GDQ etc. Some of the 2E stuff was good too: Return to the Tomb of Horrors, Rod of Seven Parts, Axe of the Dwarvish Lords, Undermountain (the 1st one), etc.

Bregh

Explorer
AuraSeer said:

You'll want to avoid Rappan Athuk, then, as it has plenty of that same kind of nonsense.

"Nonsense" being relative to the subjective criteria the individual.

There are still people who enjoy D&D (in whatever form) as a game, for whom "story" is secondary to overcoming the challenges of the "game"

Just thought I'd throw that out there, as the original poster didn't really specify what style of mega-module s/he was looking for.

edit: typo

Last edited:

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
gfunk said:
If you would like to run an Egyptian-themed adventure, then "Necropolis" by Gary Gygax is quite good. I thumbed through it at GenCon and was wishing I had the time and players to run it. Levels 10-18

Ugh! Don't do it. I love Gary to death, but this is probably the single worst adventure I've ever played through. Given my less-than-stellar opinion of Standing Stone, that's saying something.

Treebore

First Post
A couple of mega-adventures not mentioned that i like, but have not run to completion, is Tomb of Abysthor and The Grey Citadel.

My opinion of R(appan) A(thuk), it is awesome! Don't let the bad opinions scare you. If there is actually something you don't like in the module do what the previous nay sayers forgot to do, change it to your liking! No roleplaying? That was because your DM failed to integrate those elements of the module. There are plenty of opportunities in there for you to take advantage of.

RA is a thinking DM's module, it doesn't hold your hand every step of the way. That is part of its "1st Edition Feel".

Necropolis is awesome too. It is a case of where the DM will probably want to make a lot of changes, especially on those traps previously mentioned. If you want an Egyptian type game this is it.

A trilogy of modules that is good, if you can get past the editing blunders, is the Loch-Durnan series. A very solid story line with good background to draw on and develop. The first module is the only one they messed up badly on. The info is there, just not where they tell you it is, so you have to find it. Then make appropriate annotations for actually running it.

Definitely check out the Grey Citadel and The Lost Tomb of Abysthor, both by Necromancer. Very few Necromancer products are less than very good quality. I think the Grey Citadel should be put up for an ENNIE award.

Fearsome Monkey

First Post
mega monkey adventure.

We're actually producing a mega adventure over at MonkeyGod that will run you group from level 1 up to level 20. Its called the Cult of Yex campaign. Unfortunately for its still under development and likely still a year away. If you can hold out, it will definitely be worth the wait. If you are interested, check out the Demon's Gate link. Although we were originally planning a three book series, its more likely we will publish it as a single harcover.

Remove ads