• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IC - D&D 3.5) Rathan's Problem Down Under

Rathan

First Post
Yes you do detect a trap on the door which if Eltyr tell you about the fire aura on the door you would note there is a fire trap on the door....... however you also note there is something else as a trigger for the spell as well.. it looks as if only a certain kind of person can trigger the trap.....

ghostcat

First Post
While Menhir is exploring the tomb and Berrek is examining the door, Lidia checks the ground near the entrance to see if she can make any sense of the tracks there.

"I agree with Eltyr. I have used most of my major spells, so would prefer to wait to explore the tomb until I can recover them in the morning."

[sblock="Mechanics"]Take 10 on Survival (+14) to check for tracks.[/sblock]

Rathan

First Post
The fire has not really altered the tracks about the mound itself leading to the door.. you can tell nine sets of different prints but only one leads to the door itself.... you would also note if getting close enough to the door (Berrek would have also seen this as he checked the door for traps) there is some sort of black tinged skin still attached to the handle of the otherwise immaculately preserved door... one would think something grasped it only to loose it's skin from doing so as it's left as I said on the door handle itself...

As you can remember there were six creatures that rose to attack you... and two that you examined after the battle... one set of tracks lacks a body to match it with... however as you follow them off a little ways west of the mound they seem to all of a sudden disappear.. either the tracks were covered or they concealed there movements via magic....

Last edited:

unleashed

First Post
Eltyr waits until Berrek returns before revealing what he’s learned about the door.

“Unsurprisingly, considering the door has stood for quite some time, there is some protective magic on it. An aura of good evocation magic, and subtly hidden under that is an aura of fire evocation magic ... which is most likely a trap of some kind, considering the effort they put into hiding it,” Eltyr offers, before waiting to hear Berrek’s scouting report.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Does Eltyr have any idea of the strength of the magics involved, as the note didn’t cover that.[/SBLOCK]

Rathan

First Post
The good aura is weak and is most likely used to detect who is touching the door.. the fire evocation magic is more powerful and given the charred bodies around... weather they rose as undead against you or not... it's likely this is what caused them their charring....

ghostcat

First Post
Lidia finishes examining the tracks and says "Well from the tracks, it looks like I was completely wrong about the zombies. They weren't from the tomb after all. In fact it looks like all of the corpses came together. Although whether the zombies were undead before they came is not totally clear, although I believe they were. What is clear is that only one of the original party survived and he left again.

ethandrew

First Post
"To further complicate things, they were not all zombies. Two of which were stronger than that, a Ghoul, if my studies prove sound, and one even more powerful which I could not rightly place. If these bodies were recently slain and risen again, there might be a necromancer near," Anton's face does not seem to enjoy that possibility.

unleashed

First Post
Lidia finishes examining the tracks and says "Well from the tracks, it looks like I was completely wrong about the zombies. They weren't from the tomb after all. In fact it looks like all of the corpses came together. Although whether the zombies were undead before they came is not totally clear, although I believe they were. What is clear is that only one of the original party survived and he left again.

“Don’t worry yourself about it Lidia, everyone is wrong from time to time ... even the wisest amongst us. Wherever the undead came from though, I think they tried to get in and due to their nature set off the trap on the door, considering the charred state we found them in,” Eltyr offers.

"To further complicate things, they were not all zombies. Two of which were stronger than that, a Ghoul, if my studies prove sound, and one even more powerful which I could not rightly place. If these bodies were recently slain and risen again, there might be a necromancer near," Anton's face does not seem to enjoy that possibility.

“Well, let’s hope the dark elf was our necromancer then, and not the one that survived and managed to walk away,” Eltyr remarks, a look of contemplation on his face as he considers the possibility Anton is right.

Ambrus

Explorer
Curious about the unfamiliar magical effect, Menhir completes a circuit or two of the odd barrier before arcing back up towards the surface. Emerging up out of the ground near the entry door, the earth elemental considers how best to convey its encounter with the unfamiliar phenomena beneath the hill. Finally it mimics a common gesticulation it's come to associate with uncertainty; it raises and then lowers its crystal studded shoulders in a shrug.

ghostcat

First Post
Looking slightly abashed, Lidia says "Ah but I shouldn't have fallen into that trap. My mentor used to say to me "Lidia you should never assume anything" at least once or twice a week. Then the first time I'm let out on my own, I start assuming."

Seeing Menhir's confusion, Lidia says to him "Menhir what's wrong? You seem to be a bit confused. Is there something odd about the tomb?"

Remove ads