• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part IV

michael_noah

First Post
Kushnak looks at the too jokers in turn before stating, "Food is hardly a thing to be joking about, especially on the road. What are you expecting to find out about these cultists and what they were after, wizard?"

TiCaudata

First Post
Erdolliel looks at Kushnak and starts to laugh. "If you can't find mirth in the simple things what CAN you find it in? This roadhouse seems generally safe so far.

"I am also curious about who we are traveling to meet though."

She eats the egg she reserved and has a cup of tea as well.

o3caudata

First Post
The joke, entirely lost on Eskard, confounds him for a bit but eventually he chimes in "I could eat 50. But i can get my own food too."

Food tumbling from his mouth, Eskard asks "Who lives here? Are they dead?"

[sblock=oc]I couldn't resist.[/sblock]

worthley

First Post
Bazrim finishes his eggs, unknowing of the yoke caught in his mangey beard. "I think it might be best that we talk about all this during out travels tomorrow. It's important that we get a good nights rest, and I think if we know more now, our minds might be too fixated on it to sleep tonight. Plus, the sound our conversations will make might bait in some thieves for Eskard to take out his pent up agression on."

TiCaudata

First Post
"I think getting some pent up aggression out sounds like a pretty good idea actually. I'm sure Kushnak wouldn't mind some swordwork either. If you would be so kind as to enlighten us dear sage."

Dichotomy

Explorer
Without saying anything himself, Nethezar quickly pulls out his book and a pen as he waits for Allustan to answer the queries.

The sage pours tea for himself and anyone else that desires some. He begins speaking as he gets settled in.

"Where to begin... I'm afraid I don't know how much information you each have already learned, so please forgive me if I am redundant.

"Several days ago, a group of young adventurers, much like yourselves, set out to explore the Whispering Cairn, which is an old tomb in the Cairn Hills near Diamond Lake. The group found several artifacts, glyphs, symbols, and the like. The glyphs were similar to an ancient language called Vaati, which is, essentially, a precursor to the Auran language of elemental air. "Vaati" in fact means "Wind Duke" and refers to the Wind Dukes of Aaqa. I'll not go overly into the history, but in short, the Wind Dukes were legendary beings of flesh and air that served the forces of Law. They created the fabled Rod of Law and battled the Queen of Chaos at the Battle of Pesh. It turns out the the Whispering Cairn is in fact the tomb of one of the Wind Duke warriors.

"While that is quite interesting, it is in fact tangential. In their exploration of the Whispering Cairn, the group discovered evidence of the cult known as the Ebon Triad, with which I believe you are familiar. Among other things of interest are certain green worms connected to undead beings. Those beings are called the Spawn of Kyuss, very powerful zombie-like undead. Little is know of Kyuss except that over a thousand years ago he appeared in the Rift Canyon to the north. He created dozens of new undead breeds and amassed a legion of such creatures bound to his will. He even had an undead dragon at his side as general of his forces. However, these green worms are all that remain of that legacy. Kyuss' title: Harbinger of the Age of Worms.

"I go to Blackwall Keep now to meet with Marzena, a battle mage of the Free City assigned to the Keep and an old friend. She sent me a message about reports of strange green worms. This has caused me some alarm, given recent events in Diamond Lake. And now you know why I had such a sense of urgency.

"The Ebon Triad, Spawn of Kyuss, the Age of Worms... There was clearly something afoot in Diamond Lake, and you helped uncover it in Dourstone's Mine. However, these reports from Marzena suggest that there is more to the story than I yet know."

For the moment at least, it appears that Eskard's question was forgotten.

Last edited:

worthley

First Post
"After your recent situation, I thought you might have some compassion for the undead." Responds Bazrim, having a difficult time getting his jab in through his chuckling.

o3caudata

First Post
Quite mesmerized by the tale, Eskard stares blankly into space, drooling slightly, before recovering and asking "We are looking for zombies?

His eyes dart around the room suspiciously and he begins sniffing the air curiously. "Zombies smell...wrong."

TiCaudata

First Post
Erdolliel gives a nasty look to Bazrim. "I was dead, there was no 'UN' involved. Undead bug me, it's harder to kill things that don't bleed profusely."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads