IC - Mad King's Monkey II

doghead

thotd
Inside the residence of Herr Borne

[sblock]On the other side of the doors, Bayar and Ullara find themselves in a small covered yard. It stretches the length of the frontage of the property but is rather narrow. It is large enough for two horsemen to comfortable mount or dismount. There are two exits from the yard. The first is a set of large doors to the left of the entrance. The second is an archway to the right leading out into some sort of courtyard. Sunlight pours in through the opening.

It is through the arch and into the courtyard that the Steward leads Bayar and Ullara. The courtyard is completely enclosed within the building, but open to the sky. A covered balcony runs around the four sides of the first floor. An imposing set of stairs leads up to it, just to the right of the arch. There are a number of doors leading off the courtyard on the ground floor, and more leading off the balcony above. In the centre of the courtyard there is a garden somewhat in need of attention. The Steward shows Bayar and Ullara to a bench, informing them to wait there before leaving them to their own devices.

If the Steward will not lead them to his obviously ailing lord, then Ullara will have to do so.

"Bran," she says, and makes a sharp gesture with her hand. "Seek," she says in the sing-song accent of the Witchwood region. She nods to Bayar and follows Bran as he begins his trek through the house, sniffing out the closest person, then another, then another, until either Bran's nose or Ullara's questions bring them to Herr Borne. If the Steward deigns to lead them rather than let a couple strangers traipse around his home, then her estimation of the man's intelligence will take an abrupt upswing.

Things a relatively quiet until Ullara decides to take seek out Herr Borne, a which point the cat is put well and truly among the pigeons. It takes some time, a fair bit of confusion and not a little annoyance before the Steward manages to rather stiffly explain that Herr Borne is not indisposed as in ill, just indisposed as in busy with important business and not to be disturbed. It is evident by his manner that if Ullara wishes to continue her hunt for Herr Borne, she will have to go through the Steward to do so. Assuming that she doesn't intend to do so, the Steward shows Bayar and Ullara back to the courtyard.

Time passes. The shadows shorten and morning slides into afternoon. One of the servants appears with some food, bread and a little cheese and fruit, and water for Bayar and Ullara. The courtyard then returns to silence and the shadows begin their afternoon journey down the other side of the wall.

A couple of hours later the stillness is broken by as a servant hurries down the stairs and across the courtyard, disappearing through a door at the far end. A few minutes later he returns with an older woman in tow. The two of them retrace his steps and disappear back up the stairs to the first floor balcony. A few more minutes pass before the first servant reappears, once again hurrying down the steps and across the courtyard and through the same door. Once again he reappears a few minutes later, only this time he makes a bee line for Bayar and Ullara.

"Come with me," he pants, his face noticeably flushed. "If you wouldn't mind," he adds a moment later after remembering his manners. With that he turns and heads back upstairs. [/sblock]

Outside the residence of Herr Borne

[sblock]Time passes slowly for the small group loitering outside the entrance to Herr Borne's residence. They attract some stares. Thuan's exercises attracts a few more. A few of the passers by even stop to watch for a while. Some throw coins onto his backpack. The shadows shorten and morning slides into noon then early afternoon. For an hour or so around noon the streets are relatively (more) quiet as people take lunch. [/sblock]

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
[sblock=DM and Bayar]Ullara will cease in her searches, mildly miffed at the Steward's initial choice of phrase. Busy is busy, and ill is ill, and if people would stop trying to be so ridiculously vague in some effort to save face, then they could have come back at a more convenient time for everyone. But having gained entrance, she won't give up so easily. However, she will ask that the Steward to send someone to the rest of the group to tell them that they're simply waiting for Herr Borne to be available. (Rather than, say, having forgotten about them.)

Ullara learned her patience from oak trees, but Bran had not, it's lucky they were in a courtyard as she romped the repressed energy off of him, albeit with a care that he doesn't knock over any passing servants. (And if Bayar is willing to participate in a rousing game of fetch, Bran will certainly be happy about that.)

"Bayar," she will ask during one point of their confinement, "what work have you been doing as of late? We were thrown together so abruptly, and I know little more than rumor." If Bayar is willing to talk about anything, Ullara will tell something of her own story (with an ear out for eavesdroppers). If not, she can play the quiet game as good as anyone.

"I lived in the Witchwood most of my life, learning to be a healer and woodswoman from my mother as we traveled. Later... I learned of some deeper knowledge of the woodlands, of nature, and began traveling much farther, offering my skills. The Chancellor noticed me when I ran in to heal one of his guards during an attack on the road, Bran defending us both. Since then, we're been traveling much farther, shall we say."

Much later, when someone comes for them, Ullara will get to her feet. "I do not mind." And then will follow the man, calling for Bran to heel.[/sblock]

G

Guest 11456

Li Thuan, male human monk

[sblock]Finishing his exercises Thuan picks up the coins off of his backpack and shoulders the pack. Counting the coins he says to no one in particular... "Me hungry. Get food?"[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

[sblock]Finishing his exercises Thuan picks up the coins off of his backpack and shoulders the pack. Counting the coins he says to no one in particular... "Me hungry. Get food?"[/sblock]

Jan interrups his humming with a smile, "Ah, Yes! Excellent idea!" He pulls out some coins and hands them to Li.

ghostcat

First Post
[sblock=Outside the residence of Herr Borne]"We've been here hours and the other two still haven't appeared. Shouldn't we at least check they are alright? says Libros[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

[sblock=Outside the residence of Herr Borne]"We've been here hours and the other two still haven't appeared. Shouldn't we at least check they are alright? says Libros[/sblock]

"Hmmmmm. Lets start with a polite knock on the door, then"

*Knock knock knock*

Axel

First Post
[sblock=inside]Bayar sits patiently on the bench for about 5 mins. To him, it is then obvious that they will be waiting sometime, and he begins prowling and striding around the courtyard like some kind of caged animal swinging and windmilling his arms. And sighing heavily, cracking his knuckles and generally doing his best to not trash the place out of spite.

Bran provides some relief from boredom - Bayar being more than willing to play around and roughhouse with the big dog.

Ullara wanting to talk is a different story though... Still, he answers honestly. "We be in the mountains for three weeks. It be starting the same as always - a man be taking the Baron's money and be not giving potions. It be ending with fighting many gnolls and goblins." Bayar shrugs. "Things not be the same now. I not be given a job like this before," the big man looks embarrassed for a moment before continuing, "Chancellor be saying it not suiting my abilities. I think he be right, I be good at fighting and not waiting."

The servant's bustling is a welcome relief. Things had been getting a little too personal. With a grunt, Bayar rose and followed quickly. [/sblock]

Last edited:

doghead

thotd

[sblock]At the top of the stairs the servant turns left, then left again through a nondescript but stout door, then up a narrow half flight of stairs before turning right through another door an into large well appointed room. It is some sort of library or study; the walls are lined with shelves filled with books and scrolls, tapestries and maps. There is a large desk to one side and a couple of chairs on the other. The floor is covered with thick rugs.

The servant doesn't stop, proceeding through a door at the other end of the room and then straight through two more rooms much like the first, only less luxurious, more functional but equally filled with books, scrolls and maps. In the fourth and final room he comes, panting, to a halt.

Like the previous rooms this one is filled with books, scrolls, maps and other documents. There are a couple of chairs and a cluttered desk. Set into the far wall is a small door, partially obscured by curtains which have not been fully drawn closed. The two corners of the room flanking the entrance are occupied by display sets of armour. They look almost lifelike until you notice the black cloth covering the face under their helmets and their absolute stillness.

Unlike the previous rooms, this one is occupied. The Steward is sprawled out on the floor, his head propped up on a pillow. His clothes are ripped and torn and bloody. His hands and knees are lacerated. He looks like someone who has taken a nasty tumble into a rocky gully filled with brambles, then met something nasty. Beside the steward knees the the older woman. She holds the Steward's hand while wiping the blood from his face with a cloth.

"Its about time," she snaps as you enter, before turning to look.

"Oh, my apologies. I though that you were Abigail with the water and rags.

"You said that you have some ability as a healer," she continues, directed at Ullara. "Can you help the Steward?"

From behind, you hear the sounds of more people arriving. It is the rest of the party, lead by the Doorman.[/sblock]

[sblock]There is a moment of stillness after Jan knocks, then the door of the residence opens and a man pops his head out. He looks over the group clustered round the door for a moment.

"Um, yes. I think that you had better come in."

Once everyone is inside, he carefully closes the door and slides home the bolts. You find yourself in a covered yard, about 20 feet deep and running the length of the front of the residence. The are two main exits, a set of large imposing double doors to the left of the entrance, and an open arch leading through to an open courtyard to the right.

"Right then, um, follow me please."

The Doorman sets off through the exit to the right and into the courtyard before taking you up a set of stairs. At the top of the stairs the servant turns left, then left again through a nondescript but stout door, then up a narrow half flight of stairs before turning right through another door an into large well appointed room. It is some sort of library or study; the walls are lined with shelves filled with books and scrolls, tapestries and maps. There is a large desk to one side and a couple of chairs on the other. The floor is covered with thick rugs.

The Doorman doesn't stop, proceeding through a door at the other end of the room and then straight through two more rooms much like the first, only less luxurious, more functional but equally filled with books, scrolls and maps. In the fourth and final room he comes, panting, to a halt.

Like the previous rooms this one is filled with books, scrolls, maps and other documents. There are a couple of chairs and a cluttered desk. Set into the far wall is a small door, partially obscured by curtains which have not been fully drawn closed. The two corners of the room flanking the entrance are occupied by display sets of armour. They look almost lifelike until you notice the black cloth covering the face and their absolute stillness.

Unlike the previous rooms, this one is occupied. An older man is sprawled out on the floor, his head propped up on a pillow. His clothes are ripped and torn and bloody. His hands and knees are lacerated. He looks like someone who has taken a nasty tumble into a rocky gully filled with brambles, then met something nasty. Beside the man knees an older woman. She holds the man's hand while wiping the blood from his face with a cloth. Bayar and Ullara (and Bran) are also there.

"You said that you have some ability as a healer," the old woman is saying to Ullara as you arrive. "Can you help the Steward?"[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

There is a moment of stillness after Jan knocks, then the door of the residence opens and a man pops his head out. He looks over the group clustered round the door for a moment.

"Um, yes. I think that you had better come in." . . . . .edit . . . . .

"You said that you have some ability as a healer," the old woman is saying to Ullara as you arrive. "Can you help the Steward?"[/sblock]

"I can help with some healing as well" Blurts out Jan

diagnose seriousness of injuries: healing +1 (not a knowledge skill so no bardic bonus)

doghead

thotd

The Steward is alive. There is a lot of blood and significant swelling around the left ankle but no obvious major injury. Jan cannot do any more than the old woman is doing at the moment.

Remove ads