IC - Mad King's Monkey

Axel

First Post
Bayar

His belly full and meaningless social obligations satisfied Bayar beckons the barman over. "Take a load off your legs," he says thumping the table. "We've got some business to discuss."

doghead

thotd
Bayer said:
"Take a load off your legs," he says thumping the table. "We've got some business to discuss."

Kovic, for that is the man's name, pauses for a moment. The young woman who has been assisting Kovic through the evening gives him an anxious glance. Although there are only a few locals left in the tavern, there is a noticeable lull in the conversation. No one, however, does anything more than turn to see what is happening.

"It'll be alright Miss", Kovic says quietly to the young woman. He pats her reassuringly on the shoulder before stepping out from behind the bar and crossing the room to the table. On the way he grabs a spare stool which he plonks down at the end of the table before sitting himself. He moves lightly for a big man.

"You are the Chancellor's men I reckon."

Given that you arrived with the Chancellor's wagon, its not a surprising deduction.

Assuming no one denies it, Kovic continues.

"Don't look much like caravan guards", he says looking you over. "And I figure that the Chancellor would have no difficulty getting guards if he wanted such. So I am guessing this is about them potions."

Despite his relaxed posture and steady tone, there is a wariness about the man.

Axel

First Post
Bayar

Bayar places his arms on the table, forearms flat. He bunches his fingers into a fist so as to flex his biceps for the greatest advantage. "Aye, you be right." The thug does not bother to clarify what Kovic might have been right about. "Good coin has been given with nothing given in return." He turns to fix the barman with a glare. "Do you see a problem here?" he adds, raising his left eyebrow.

Electric Wizard

First Post
Sukri, whom the teamster had detained over a pay disagreement, strode to the table settled onto the bench next to his burly friend. Kovic squinted at him in spite of the room's dimness and wiped his nose.

"Very good tavern, sir," Sukri said with a crooked smile. "Pity we cannot stay long. Chancellor insists we speak with your alchemist partner as soon as possible."

Sukri took a whiff of Eban's stew.

"Is that - how do you say - peppers? Tell the girl to bring two of your largest bowls because I could eat a mule."

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"A mule he says
A mule to eat
could this good stew
been Haunch of a mule a' meat?"

Sings Jan softly, a very ornery glint in his eye.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Eban tries to keep Kovic in view so that he can read his lips. It is sometimes hard, but he's been doing this a while now. As long as he can keep them in view, he doesn't have much of a problem keeping up with the conversation for the most part.

Eating his own meal, Eban keeps the other tavern patrons in view, taking note if any of them are overly curious to the conversation.

doghead

thotd
Bayar places his arms on the table, forearms flat. He bunches his fingers into a fist so as to flex his biceps for the greatest advantage. "Aye, you be right." The thug does not bother to clarify what Kovic might have been right about. "Good coin has been given with nothing given in return." He turns to fix the barman with a glare. "Do you see a problem here?" he adds, raising his left eyebrow.

Kovic stiffens. "Why you young pup," he growls. "If you want to throw your weight around in my tavern you will likely be brushing dirt off your backside."

"Very good tavern, sir," Sukri said with a crooked smile. "Pity we cannot stay long. Chancellor insists we speak with your alchemist partner as soon as possible."

Sukri took a whiff of Eban's stew.

"Is that - how do you say - peppers? Tell the girl to bring two of your largest bowls because I could eat a mule."

Sukri's interruption seems to distract Kovic for a moment from whatever else he was about to say or do. "Aye, there's pepper in the stew ..."

"A mule he says
A mule to eat
could this good stew
been Haunch of a mule a' meat?"

Sings Jan softly, a very ornery glint in his eye.

Kovic gives Jan a confused look as the bard begins to sing. He snorts with amusement at the final line. Some of the tension seems to leave him. He takes a deep calming breath.

"There ain't no mule in my stew," he says.

"Right, two bowls," he adds abruptly, pushing away from the table and standing swiftly. "I'll get them myself." He glowers briefly at Bayer before stomping off to the bar.

[sblock=Sense Motive DC10]Kovic lost his temper.[/sblock]
[sblock=Sense Motive DC15]Kovic lost his temper. He was upset not so much by the threat as the implication that he was a thief.[/sblock]
[sblock=Sense Motive DC20]Kovic lost his temper. He was upset not so much by the threat as the implication that he was a thief. He is not looking for a fight.[/sblock]
[sblock=Sense Motive DC25]Kovic lost his temper. He was upset not so much by the threat as the implication that he was a thief. He is not looking for a fight. But he seemed confident enough of his ability to do as he threatened to Bayer, despite Bayer size.[/sblock]

Axel

First Post
Bayar

Bayar ignores Jan's singing as just plain puzzling. No doubt it meant something to the subtle. Oblivious to all but the literal, as always, Bayar stays seated as Korvic gets up, matching his stare. "We're not done yet, so sit down and get the girl to fetch the stew. I've heard nought but hot air so far."

[sblock=ooc]
Still the first page and I'm already enjoying this character more than is good for me! Thick and strong as an ox. Hard and oblivious as stone. The way fighters were meant to be.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Eban's mood changes, as he can tell that Bayer had offended the man. Putting Kovic on the defensive was not what he had hoped for, and Bayer would be hard pressed to get aid from Eban now.

Knowing that the fate of their job rested on this man for now, Eban attempts to put the man at ease, hoping that Jaans better temperament could diffuse the situation. Eban would do all he could to make sure (Granting Misfortune to Sukri, if he rolls 1-8 on Sense Motive roll, granting a reroll for him only).

Sense Motive +5

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sense motive]

"oh, its ok He can get the not mule stew. He will be right back."

Last edited:

Remove ads