• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] The New World (Volo Monsters)

tglassy

Adventurer
"We could kill him now and no one would know," Karok suggested mildly, sneering at the now sleeping Bugbear. He looked around to the others, "Just a thought."

Shayuri

First Post
"We'll find a use for him," Saashala replied. "If the idea here is what I think it is, there will be ample room for mayhem. Just mayhem that is carefully and precisely directed."

tglassy

Adventurer
"Then what are you suggesting, Snake Woman," Karok said, allowing his tone to sound more impatient than he felt. "Out with it, so we can get started."

Shayuri

First Post
"Ah, I apologize. I thought it was obvious."

Saashala nodded at the papers.

"That's us. Those orders...are for us. We will be the Two Bridges Trading Company. We will do vigorous and successful business with the invaders, while all the while undermining them from within."

"Think about it. There are several factions within them. We've only ever encountered them united against a common foe; us. But there are certain to be internal divisions...tensions that can be exploited. Imagine selling the dwarves faulty mining equipment. They come to us, demanding to know why...and we blame the elves for not letting us cut quality wood from their forests. Meanwhile the human farmers need wood for their fences, but not only is the elf problem affecting them, but the dwarves constant demands for mining equipment mean delays in how quickly we can fill orders."

"They might try to turn to other traders...which is where Ripnak comes in. Competitors would have unfortunate tendencies to fall prey to raids and banditry and other risks all too common in this wild and untamed land."

She smiled, showing fangs just a little.

"And there's quite a bit more that could be done as well, as tensions rise...to feed and fuel those flames. Fracture their unity, and they become vulnerable to a concerted push from our collective forces."

Creamsteak

Explorer
Still staring at the glass object, the kobold whimpers, "Shackles. Shackles are for slaves."

What is a dark candle? Why is there a dark candle? Why does Moon Moon have dark candle? No good... very bad.

ammulder

Explorer
OOC: The crone is just observing you at this point. She doesn't comment on your strategy or which of the locations you want to head toward first.

So... where to?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Drutha Keldret, Hobgoblin Fighter
Forest
Night
Round 0

Drutha listened to Saashala spin out her plan. The hobgoblin scowled a bit. These snake-people and their convoluted plots. Though Drutha was intelligent enough to see some merit in it.

“I am no merchant,” Drutha finally spoke up. “I know nothing of trade or bargaining. What makes you think these invaders will even trade with us and not slaughter us on sight? That seems to be what they have done so far.”

[sblock=Stats]
AC: 17 (chainmail, defensive fighting style)
HP: 13/13 HD: 1/1d10
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"We must simply make sure they see only what we allow," Saashala replied easily. "It's not as hard as you think."

She looks at the hidden figure in the cloak.

"Does this trading company already own a building in the town? How prepared are we for this? Also, what are we to call you?"

ammulder

Explorer
"Not that long ago the trading company was the only thing there. Now they're trying to make a proper town of it. MUCH too close. Pride goeth..." her voice trails off.

The she resumes. "You can call me 'mom'." She cackles to herself, evidently seeing great humor in this.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
The snoring stops suddenly. "Mom?" says the bugbear amused, his eyes still closed.

"You are not mother to Ripnek! You are..." and he sniffs for a moment, trying to identify the creature's race but appearing to fail, "...not bugbear."

OOC: Can I make a check to see if Ripnek can identify her race? Not sure what kind of roll would be appropriate, so I'll try to do so with Perception: [roll0]

Remove ads