Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Maybe it is the plants that keep it. And given the look of it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was some kind of druid that took 'one with nature' path too far and is actually feeding all this."

Marius completed his circuit noting the increase in local life activity.
"We're not wanted here. I didn't see anything threatening, but even small animals can be dangerous in big numbers. I suspect we'll be attacked if we damage anything. But whatever controls this area seems content to let us pass if we leave everything alone. Which of course means that I would like a peek inside." he grins predatory grin of a stalking hunter and climbs to the first glowing crack he finds.

Archon Basileus

First Post
REYNARD

" Are you familiar with this building at all?"

All Reynard obtains from the woman is a moan of denial. “Don’t think anyone alive is.” – she repeats after a few seconds, turning slowly towards the woods, bow in hand as she stands watch.

Spying through one of the many paths gives a fair idea of what’s inside. First, the entrance seems to be safe to enter. Not that it always was. Reynard sees some branches that have been burned at some point in the past, possibly because they grew upon a trap, springing it. Looking around, the sailor realizes the same thing happened throughout the construction, any possible trap not taking into consideration the slow, perennial advance of the flora. Either that, or someone used the branches to tatter around the building.

Inside, Reynard identifies a round room lit by blue-light sconces. The floor taken by thick branches that sinuously meet in the center. They surround something he can’t quite identify. On the opposite side, following the design of a wall, he sees a sturdy desk covered in papers and notes, as well as shelves crowded with books. Mold spores fly through the room, oddly large, almost as dent-de-lion heads. The interior is thick with this rich lime as well…. Might be something for the little beasts to survive on.

The sailor also identifies several spots for old traps. The door, the desk, the center (it used to be surrounded by them for sure). As Strindberg the minstrel once said, it seems a slow, and yet brutal, battle was fought here, for plants in their innocence try desperately to outgrow all obstacles to their survival.

MORGRYM

The state of the building surely suggests no one has lived there for a while. At closer inspection, Morgrym confirms his suspicions: someone softened the stone through a miracle and molded it into shape. More than one person, for sure, since there are distinct patterns applied to the wall. He can even see the distinct sizes and strengths of the hands that participated in the endeavor. Curiously enough, the results show a group of inexperienced workers, eager to apply perfect geometry, but incapable of translating it. Surely they had access to divine blessings. The protective signs were cut through stone while it was soft, and that is certain, since the edges are sharper than they should be. Morgrym can even see and smell remnants of concoctions applied to the mandalas and pentagrams.

The tower is not the apex of crafting, but at least it is not disjointed. It flows with the rest of the building, answering to its purpose: it serves as a beacon, illuminating the area, all the more reason to consider the small keep as the center of a reduced community. Probably it has been used to sound alarms, to mark the passage of time or to call meetings. Morgrym bets he could find housing among the foliage, hidden by the passage of time, bearing an even sorrier state than the keep. More than this, these constructions tend to conceal many secrets, since it would be less likely for anyone to uncover hidden objects and paths confined into molded stone. Morgrym could easily recognize the patterns, though.

MARIUS

Marius sees himself inside with no difficulty. The nimble man lands on a carpet of mold between two vigorous trunks that come across from the center. He sees all the things Reynard can observe from outside. Here, though, the spores look even bigger, and the monk can feel how light they truly are by blowing them around.

The interior is as round as can be, taken by flora and fungi. They seem to have grown strong in here, to the point that most of the furniture has disappeared. Marius sees the passage to the small tower on the other side of the room, still half unimpeded. Close to him, he sees the desk and the shelves. Strangely, no plants grew around the many books and scrolls deposited upon the table. He also sees some cutlery and a pair of goblets among flowers that grow over a side table. Curiously enough, none of the objects seem to have face the passage of time. From Marius’ position, they all seem as good as new, even books and scrolls.

On the opposite side of the hall, the monk sees Reynard’s face framed by a large hole on the wall. The sailor can easily watch his back from there. As he searches the room, though, one thing calls his attention. Among the branches, right in the center, he can see the familiar glow of bronze. He can’t define what it is from his position, but coming closer might allow him to know for sure. The branches are big, but they leave plenty of space amongst each other, so he could peek inside the central column, made basically by flora. The only thing he can say for sure now is that whatever lies in there is sure to be big.

@Trogdor1992 @Neurotic @KahlessNestor @Jago

Last edited:

Neurotic

Leaving his curiosity unsatisfied (with some effort), Marius retreats back to his companions.
"It seems safe for the moment. There is something big in the center, but we should prepare before I disturb anything inside. The books and other items seem untouched both by plants and time so it may be that some magic still works in there. But nothing I could recognize as such."

Looking over the group, he offers
"Consider this dilemma: if I disturb anything inside and something terrible happens it is better for you all to be outside. But if something terrible happens AND the life out here decides to attack, you will be in the open instead of more easily defended space. I'm willing to go alone, but my preference would be we all get inside and see what's what."

OOC: Marius is human, not elven

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Underground garden
Night
Round 0

Morgrym rejoined the others after they peered around inside. “Bet there’s other buildin’s oot there in the woods,” he said. “A small town, like as no’. “Migh’ as well all gae in. As guid a place as any t’ ‘ole up in if we need t’ rest, tae,” he told them.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)(Barkskin: +2)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 26m

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain)*, Barkskin,* Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Jago

Explorer
" Just be careful not to touch anything," Reynard advised at Morgrym's and Marius's assessment, " The place looks like it was trapped to the High Heavens, and I'm not sure that every trap was set off. Move where the plants are: it seems they set off the majority of this tower's defenses, so they should be safe spots."

He pondered, but there was little else to assess.

" I'd say we all head in. I'd rather face whatever may be in there together than split us up in half. I'm beginning to grow attached to you lot and I'd me most remiss if you were eaten by a giant plant or ... whatever the hell is out here."

[sblock=Reynard's Stats]Character Sheet
HP: 25/25
Condition: Normal
Initiative: +6
Perception: +9
In Hand: Nothing
[sblock=Defenses]AC: 18 Flat: 13 Touch: 18
Fort: 7 Reflex: 10 Will: 7[/sblock]
[sblock=Offenses]Pistol (Mwk): +7, 1d8/x4
Chakrams: +6, 1d8/x2
- Flurry of Throws: +4/+4
Unarmed Strike: +6, 1d6

Paper Cartridges: 66/70
Entangling Shot: 5/5
Flare Cartridges: 5/5[/sblock]
Grit: 3/3
Deeds:
Gunslinger's Dodge
Quick Clear
Up Close And Deadly

[sblock=Adventure Notes]Game Info:
We have a dagger and apparently lizards want it. But they can't have it.

The dagger is to go to someone named "Adalous". We reach him by going North through "The Dungeons"

Arvana supposedly knows a mythical oracle-like creature called The Lady. Reynard is intrigued and wants to go spelunking with her.[/sblock][/sblock]

Neurotic

Marius nos at both companions and heads back inside, itching to check the books and big thing in the middle. Even the cutlery that resist plants and time.

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE
" I'd say we all head in. I'd rather face whatever may be in there together than split us up in half. I'm beginning to grow attached to you lot and I'd me most remiss if you were eaten by a giant plant or ... whatever the hell is out here."

Arvana profits from the sailor’s suggestion and follows Marius inside.

She turns over her shoulder, a rapacious smile suggested in her eye. “Don’t get soft on me sailor… Not yet.” – she leaps inside swiftly, stepping cautiously.

As the companions prepare to explore the interior of the keep, the noises appear to rescind into the darkness. Still, Reynard and Morgrym perceive the faint noise of movement around the canopies in a quick, uninterrupted strike. Something very light seemed to move towards the semi-destroyed roof. It did not appear to be a predator. In fact, it reminds a squirrel, maybe a little monkey, as it moves to observe visitors from a safe distance. Whatever it is, it keeps shuffling around the branches, possibly trying to find a vantage point.

Approaching the objects scattered around the room, the quartet defines a few points of interest. The books and parchments are varied, holding topics in the very same old language deciphered above, a while ago. Some of them are geographical treatises, others are maps designed in surprising details. Many books discuss physiology with amazing precision, while others are botanic studies. Around the shelves, topics seem to acquire a diverse taste. Several tomes seem to describe magic rituals. The approach is very different than the one seen in nowadays’ schools, though. At least three volumes are designated as discussions on magical theory. Another one holds the curious title “Journal of Planar Expeditions”; yet another seems to be a log with detailed recounts of experiments; in a corner, a black-covered tome is simply identified as “The Physiology of Gods”.

The cutlery is made of the finest material, adorned to fit the halls of a king. The fact that it has been abandoned down here is suspicious, to say the least, but it has not been sacked, meaning that truly no one has come this way in a long time – no one with a covetous spirit, that is.

Lastly, among the branches the companions perceive a large horn of copper-like appearance, shining as if it had been just forged. Bunches of a strange white fruit pour copiously from its mouth, reaching the stone slab where the horn rests and descending all around. As it spreads over the stone, the fruits seem to turn into a translucid paste, which the roots and branches seem to seek avidly. The strange piece is the wood’s horn of plenty, apparently.

@Trogdor1992 @Neurotic @KahlessNestor @Jago

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Underground garden
Night
Round 0

Morgrym followed the others into the building, wriggling his way through one of the openings. He glanced up at the canopy above them, hearing the rustling of some small creature in the tangle of leaves and branches, but not spotting anything.

As they poked around the room, Morgrym murmured a few words, allowing him to see the magic of the room.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move: Move inside
Action: Cast Detect Magic and maintain for the full duration to sweep the room.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)(Barkskin: +2)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 25m

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain)*, Barkskin,* Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Jago

Explorer
" “Don’t get soft on me sailor… Not yet.”

" You just let me know the time and the place, Miss Arvana," Reynard coyly replied, grinning a bit as the party moved into what may as well have been a magical deathtrap. Knowing he did not have the gift for sight but seeing that clearly their Dwarf-friend was in the midst of perceiving beyond the physical, the sailor thought it best to step back and let him do his thing.

For his own curiosity, the maps drew his attention the most. While making sure not to stray too far from his compatriots, Reynard's boots clicked against the floor as he strode over to the charts, surveying them to see what they might hold. A sailor lived and died by their charts, their rutters, which told of every ounce of the sea they had traversed. Reynard would, quite literally, kill to protect his own rutters: they held every secret cove, the details of every unnatural current, every key to navigating dangerous trenches and capes.

Perhaps whoever built this tower had detailed similar things on their maps: showed where they had been, and you could learn a lot about someone based on where they had already gone. Even the language of the maps would be telling enough.

OOC: Rolling Profession: Sailor just in case it's needed to read the maps in the way Reynard wants to - [roll0]

[sblock=Reynard's Stats]Character Sheet
HP: 25/25
Condition: Normal
Initiative: +6
Perception: +9
In Hand: Nothing
[sblock=Defenses]AC: 18 Flat: 13 Touch: 18
Fort: 7 Reflex: 10 Will: 7[/sblock]
[sblock=Offenses]Pistol (Mwk): +7, 1d8/x4
Chakrams: +6, 1d8/x2
- Flurry of Throws: +4/+4
Unarmed Strike: +6, 1d6

Paper Cartridges: 66/70
Entangling Shot: 5/5
Flare Cartridges: 5/5[/sblock]
Grit: 3/3
Deeds:
Gunslinger's Dodge
Quick Clear
Up Close And Deadly

[sblock=Adventure Notes]Game Info:
We have a dagger and apparently lizards want it. But they can't have it.

The dagger is to go to someone named "Adalous". We reach him by going North through "The Dungeons"

Arvana supposedly knows a mythical oracle-like creature called The Lady. Reynard is intrigued and wants to go spelunking with her.[/sblock][/sblock]

Archon Basileus

First Post
Sorry for the delay, guys. I was waiting for Neurotic. Has anyone talked to him lately? If you guys prefer, we can continue after the holidays! What do you guys think?

Later!
[MENTION=6801450]Trogdor1992[/MENTION] [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION]

Remove ads