• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Underground garden
Night
Round 0

Morgrym eyed Arvana as she edged closer to Reynard. What was her game?

“All right. Up we go, then,” the dwarf said, interposing himself between the woman and the sailor as they went up the stairs. He gave her a warning look that he was keeping his eye on her.

At the top, they stood looking at the vaguely humanoid shape of the pile of leaves and branches. “Well, let’s see,” he answered Reynard’s question. The dwarf poked the pile with the handle of his axe.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)(Barkskin: +2)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 23m

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain)*, Barkskin,* Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

The sudden liberty taken by the maiden with the sailor has a clear cause. She seems to have offered trust to him, as well as the group, after realizing their diligence towards their contract. What manner of assumptions crowded her mind to lead her to such actions are still a mystery, but her concessions are now clear to the trio. Both Morgrym and Reynard can sense some naiveté in her sudden change of pace, though. Maybe she is not as worldly as her background would suggest…

“All right. Up we go, then,” the dwarf said, interposing himself between the woman and the sailor as they went up the stairs.

The woman seems to smile at the dwarf’s reaction to her gesture. She bends her body lightly as he passes, and now she follows him closely instead, glancing occasionally over her shoulders as if to grant that no one followed the group.

“Well, let’s see,” he answered Reynard’s question. The dwarf poked the pile with the handle of his axe.

The entity simply responds Morgrym’s touch with a recoiling impulse, almost as if the affected tendrils acted as muscle fibers. At first, that is all the druid obtains for an answer. Soon, though, the leaves begin to move in waves, almost as if greeting the companions. Slowly, the humanoid shape twists and shivers, and a protrusion not unlikely a head begins to rise. The sound of cracking wood and the hiss of canopies surround the travelers as the golem rises, leaning against the wall. Its members are still tied to their very surroundings, tentacles shackled to the walls and beyond, but the vague form seems to assume a more human attitude as it stands. From the knots and wrinkles that cover what would be a face, a fissure opens, almost as the hollow of a dead tree. The leaves agitate themselves once more, and it is almost as if wind crossed the many holes in branches and trunks all around.

Subtly, a succession of whispers emanates from the crevice, reaching the companions as a myriad of broken voices.
At first the speech is incoherent, more akin to the sounds of windy clearings. Soon enough, though, the sounds become defined, building a voice from a collection of sounds strange to each other.

Who…. Are you?” – the choir of rumbles and cracks rise, after a difficult convulsion. “Such long time… Away from anyone.” – it repeats, oddly enough employing the common language, instead of the archaisms regularly found around the ruins. “Why have you come?” – it insists, the same unaffected, ghastly tone to the many sounds coinciding into words. “Do you seek to contemplate… my failure, as well? To mock me…, perhaps? Or to attempt… on my memories? To attempt…. on my life? No… you are not the same…. Then who…, strangers, …. might you be?”

[Happy New Year, guys! I bet you know why I took three says to post... Well, here it is! I hope you enjoy!]

@Trogdor1992 @Neurotic @KahlessNestor @Jago

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Underground garden
Night
Round 0

When the mound began to move when Morgrym poked it, the dwarf backed off a bit, clutching his axe in readiness. But the...plant golem seemed secured to the tower. It’s voice was strange sounding, but he eventually could make it out as it asked who they were and what they wanted.

“Cuild ask the same o’ ye, Old One,” Morgrym stated. “Names ‘ave power, sae I not be givin’ oot me own wi’oot some trust. As f’r wot we want, naethin’ in partic’lar. We found our way doon ‘ere escapin’ from some baddies. It luiked like a bonny place t’ settle in f’r the night. Wot is this place?”

Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 22m

Spells Prepared
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain)*, Barkskin,* Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Marius comes out of the shadows.
"We don't wish to disturb you. If you need help, ask. We ran into one of your 'so-called' gods. They are stirring again. If you can provide us with means to fight them, we would use it."

He stands at the ready, standing up for scrutiny not his favorite position. But he stands nevertheless.

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

“Cuild ask the same o’ ye, Old One,” Morgrym stated. “Names ‘ave power, sae I not be givin’ oot me own wi’oot some trust. As f’r wot we want, naethin’ in partic’lar. We found our way doon ‘ere escapin’ from some baddies. It luiked like a bonny place t’ settle in f’r the night. Wot is this place?”

The entity made a prolonged silence, as if reflecting upon the dwarf’s words. “You have the right of it…. Names do hold power… We should know... Hold on to yours…. If such is your wish…”

“This place… It used to be my laboratory…. My… haven…. If you will. Hidden underneath a large temple…. So my enemies could not find me…. It worked…. Apparently… Despite your visit.” – the entity rests after these meager words, as if it did not desire to share more. Despite the inhuman aspect of its voice, the companions feel that it deliberately withheld something.

"We don't wish to disturb you. If you need help, ask. We ran into one of your 'so-called' gods. They are stirring again. If you can provide us with means to fight them, we would use it."

“What else…. Could they possibly want? Our city… lies in dust… I am but the last…. Imprisoned… Who is he that … rises… once more?” – the voice stops for a moment or two, suddenly realizing it is not the target of the pretense divine figure. If the entity is displeased by such discoveries, it does not let out.

“I extend hospitality…. In such case… Rest… Employ whatever tools you find… Take volumes, … maps, … anything that might help… to your heart’s content. I have seen how diligently… you avoided disturbing… me…. I understand… you’ll bring no harm...” – as the voice speaks, the wind-like strength it holds slowly diminishes, as if crawling into a lament.

“I feel for you, though… If truly an ancient holds grudge against you…. They have sordid ways to… to submit those rebellious to them…. Remember well…” – a short silence, followed by a more vigorous gust of wind. “I shall aid you…. As I can…. In return… I only ask for the means to do so….” – on the right side of the tower, some branches begin to crack and move, ever so slowly. From their midst, tendrils as thin as fingers insinuate themselves into the sight of the companions. From their extremities bunches of brown tough nuts pend.

“Take these… Bury them in a place beyond the rocky wastes outside…. Somewhere… They… can grow. I will listen to everything… learn from the surroundings… From those… that speak to me… And I might answer… provided the proper spell is in place…” – he falls silent for a few seconds, as if to gain strength. “I guarantee my life… You will have my knowledge beyond these walls…”

“Now, to prove I might be of use…. Tell me of your enemy….” – a pause follows, short as a heartbeat. “Is he the one who shook the walls…. Of my old city?”

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Underground garden
Night
Round 0

“Thank’ee, Old One,” Morgrym said. Solemnly he moved to the branches and carefully picked the nuts. He tucked them into a pouch on his belt where they would be safe, allowing the others to tell tales of their coming here and who was after them.

Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 21m

Spells Prepared
[/sblock]

Jago

Explorer
~ " This underground city is full of new things," Reynard mumbled to himself in a bit of awe.

Talking Trees. Not just a tree, but a ... a creature, like him, that became one with the tree.

" Your aid is most welcome, uhm ... Don't rightly know what to call you."

The sailor placed his hand on a nearby brance, curling his fingers over it.

" My name is Reynard," he introduced himself, squeezing the branch gently as if having shaken the being's hand, " And our enemy is ... Well."

He had to think on that one, scratching at the scruff on his chin.

" I don't know what it was called. It flew, like some drake or devil, large wings. And it had lizards for lackeys, not the little creatures that have taken root down here, though."

Thinking, Reynard reached into his pack again and drew out the dagger, holding it aloft to the being's "face", if it could be called that.

" I assume it is after this. It attacked shortly after it was entrusted to us." ~

[sblock=Reynard's Stats]Character Sheet
HP: 25/25
Condition: Normal
Initiative: +6
Perception: +9
In Hand: Nothing
[sblock=Defenses]AC: 18 Flat: 13 Touch: 18
Fort: 7 Reflex: 10 Will: 7[/sblock]
[sblock=Offenses]Pistol (Mwk): +7, 1d8/x4
Chakrams: +6, 1d8/x2
- Flurry of Throws: +4/+4
Unarmed Strike: +6, 1d6

Paper Cartridges: 66/70
Entangling Shot: 5/5
Flare Cartridges: 5/5[/sblock]
Grit: 3/3
Deeds:
Gunslinger's Dodge
Quick Clear
Up Close And Deadly
[sblock=Adventure Notes]Game Info:
We have a dagger that is actually a Planar Key. It is very cool.

The dagger is to go to someone named "Adalous". We reach him by going North through "The Dungeons"

Arvana supposedly knows a mythical oracle-like creature called The Lady. Reynard is intrigued and wants to go spelunking with her.

Reynard found a series of ancient maps, one of which appears to be magical. Morgrym called it 'a guide'. We have left these behind for now.

We stumbled across information on 'The Willings': powerful beings from ages ago who charted the world, experimented with planar gateways, and supposedly even had flying vessels. The city of Maran used to be called 'Cartaluga' to them.

The Willing and several other races banded together to fight against another species of "So-Called Gods". The Willing came from the prison plane of Avidor, and used our dagger to escape it.

We met a talking tree. That wasn't really a tree, but it sorta was. It gave us some seeds and asked us to spread them outside.[/sblock][/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Marius fades easily behind once others start talking, content to remain in shadows, watching around for potential threats while still listening in.

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

“I was once referred to as the Gardener….” – the entity responds – “…if that is enough to you… It is not a real name… But I presume it suffices…”

“As for your enemy… It seems most peculiar…” – a moment of silence gives the impression that the entity went back into slumber, the head-like shape bent down. “Impressive… It has breached the doors to the city… It wanders the ruined streets now… I can see it… even though vaguely….” – as the words come out, the branches become agitated, as if bent by the preluding winds of an ascending storm.

“It is strong… It has the bearings of a dragon, indeed, but it seems… Twisted… No, it is not godlike in shape and nature, I can tell… Nonetheless, it should be feared… It sees… Darkness holds no secrets to it….” – the ivies and tendrils recoil, as if the entity feared the beast above.

" I assume it is after this. It attacked shortly after it was entrusted to us."

“No…. Not the dagger!” – at the sight of the weapon, all branches sibilate, that living wood unleashing fury onto itself. For a few seconds, the noise is almost deafening. The man-tree stretches its head out, as if to study the thing.

“This is a dangerous artifact… If the beast has made use of it once….” – the voice stops in restlessness – “… the dagger calls out … for those whose blood it tasted.” – the wooden sounds become more polluted, the speech, more desperate. “It is just a matter of time… Till it finds you… The closer he gets, the stronger the feeling…” – the entity pauses for a second, pensive.

“I can try and seal the path with more branches… It might dissuade him, in case he finds the door… But you must find a way to conceal the dagger… magical or not. Otherwise, the beast – as well as others – might pursue you.”
“This… thing…. Leads its owner towards those honor-bound to him…. Even across the planes… But it demands part of the traveler’s blood… and it creates a bond with those who bleed by its cuts… It calls out to them... living or dead…”

The entity silences once more, as if studying the movements of the enemy.

“It goes further… Maybe the beast does not feel the dagger… Maybe it seeks another path down… Soon it will leave the city through the external gates… To the surface. You must choose: if you leave now, you may be ahead of it…. But it might find you during night… If you stay, you can rest… Till dawn… and try to use light in your favor… Even though it might prepare to ensnare you... Either, way… I will do my best to help….”

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Underground garden
Night
Round 0

“Tha’ bluidy dagger,” Morgrym muttered. “‘ow’re we s’posed t’ ‘ide the bluidy thing. Gather up those maps ye were sae int’rested in,” he told Reynard. “I’ll grab tha’ ‘orn. Anythin’ else ye think we need, get it, an’ let’s beat feet oot o’ ‘ere.”

Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 20m

Spells Prepared
[/sblock]

Remove ads