• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: I'm here, just swamped with official and family gatherings. Its that time of the year. I can post, if somewhat slower.

Marius peruses some book, quickly skimming over the titles, opening the planar treaty and checking last pages of experiment description. One for personal interest, the other because it might point out what happened here. He looks over his companions as each checks the room in his own way paying special attention to their new companion.

"I could hide here and try to intercept whatever is watching us...but it would probably be small animal, controlled from afar. True intelligence, if any, will be at the top of the tower I think. It doesn't seem aggressive, maybe we could try for peaceful parting of ways? We should NOT take anything from here until we know what's what and who's it is." he adds the last one pointedly, not looking at anyone in particular.

OOC2: I would suggest we move on, but I'll wait for the result of our investigation. Anyhow, if I don't post 48h after DM, feel free to move on, Marius scouts ahead.

Archon Basileus

First Post
[OOC - I figured as much! I believe we can wait for a bit! I'd suggest we return after the New Year, so no one get's left behind and all of us have time to be with our families! Also, I never intended to be demanding as I asked about you, Neurotic! It was more of a friendly concern, really! I'll be around if you guys need, but I'll space it up a bit till next year! Enjoy your time with your family, man!]

@Trogdor1992 @Neurotic @KahlessNestor @Jago

Neurotic

OOC: No worries, real life happens. And we can keep playing, PbP is slow by default, no need to pause it further. But I will ofcourse go with majority.

Archon, you might give us the results of our search and then pause. That way we can think and/or post our actions

Archon Basileus

First Post
MORGRYM

“As they poked around the room, Morgrym murmured a few words, allowing him to see the magic of the room.”

Besides the magical devices present among the equipment, Morgrym identifies several touches around the environment. To begin with, the symbols hold some magical echoes, almost vanished by now. Some of them were magical traps, while others were barrier triggers. The traps sided the original entrances, and the barriers seemed to be provoked by touch, when they worked. Through more detailed analysis, the druid discovers the signs to be items incrusted into the walls. Now they obviously ran out of juice. But a skilled druid might be able to carve them out and take the plaques somewhere else to use once more. Of course, a single mistake might destroy the artifact, chipping part of it away.

As for the objects sprung around the room, books and instruments glow as if some spell had been applied upon them. One of the maps that Reynard currently studies has a strong magic aura (magical item). The map holds the most peculiar incantation: it seems capable of guiding someone towards his or her need or desire, as presented at the moment the map is opened or held.

The horn of plenty shines with great intensity, its properties transferred faintly to the fruits that climb down from its mouth. In a similar way, its incantation gives the owner what it needs to nourish itself, as long as it gives the horn part of its life (in this case, sap falling from branches into the little mouth of the horn). Beyond that, it works as a hero’s feast, at least in amount of food.

Curiously, Reynard’s bag shines the most among all other objects. In it, a familiar shape holds Morgrym’s view in check. It’s the dagger the companions received from Grontar not long ago. It’s nature is very confusing at first, but soon the spell clarifies the mystery. That dagger holds the tendrils of many planes. In fact, it can be best described as a planar amulet, shaped by unknown powers to allow planar travel.

REYNARD

“…he strode over to the charts, surveying them to see what they might hold.”

The maps seem to follow very distinct traces from those Reynard regularly employs, and it’s only through generous effort that the sailor begins to relate some of the areas with the ones he knows by heart. Mostly, scales and names are different, but it becomes easy to understand what the maps portray once the accidental code is broken. In truth, the maps he sees before him are much more faithful in scale and shape to reality than those his cartographer colleagues tend to draw.

As for the contents, the many scrolls and maps portray lands close and far – some even unknown to the sailor, bearing strange names in undecipherable inscriptions. The ones Reynard can recognize are peculiar – and certainly invaluable. A detailed model of the Reaches of Zurt and its frozen islands is followed by behavioral studies for the moving Kingdom of Blyss. The Underworld Domains are portrayed in elegant lines by someone that travelled them exhaustively. There is even a pair of maps for Gaelia, one representing the continent before the cataclysms that created the grey desert on the southeast and recreated the coastal lines and another presenting the current state of the lands. Upon them, though, a series of unknown territories and cities are named and vaguely described. One of them bear the familiar name “Cartagula”, being located precisely at Maran’s spot. Other cities seem to describe what was once the sprawling power of the Willing, whoever – or whatever – they were.

His attentions are soon driven towards an ample map, marked by old folds and pinpointed by several nautical charts. Reynard recognizes the descriptions present in many charts he’s seen through his trips. These ones, though, seem to be ordained to explain the modus operandi of their former owners. They are somehow similar to those the gnome exploration vessels preserve. Notes on several species and magical discoveries are present on several points of the map, as well as potential clues to natural planar gates and passages to concealed or – up until then – unreachable lands. Clearly those who conceived this map were interested in researches and attempted to force the boundaries of this world. A lack of concern for militaristic positioning seems to denounce a peaceful race. Also, they commanded, at least at one point of their history, powerful magic. The floating lands of the Edge are drawn as if they were accessible through ships, illustrations allowing Reynard to imagine flying vessels instead of conventional boats at some point.

MARIUS

“Marius peruses some book, quickly skimming over the titles, opening the planar treaty and checking last pages of experiment description.”

As he flaps the pages, the monk glances at a few passages of interest. Everything, from planar theory to silver paths, is somehow described in it, all in a very precise way. Many planes are somehow presented, each entry describing life conditions and potential preparations necessary for entering the plane it deals with. Two passages of the journal are caught in Marius’s mind as he reads them.

“The small and hard-working species seem to hold a special affection for detailed tasks. It demonstrates great interest in all forms of knowledge, and first attempts at contact were very fruitful. The creatures showed great talent to learn our language. Still, they seemed somewhat lost, as if the lack of leadership had led them astray. (Note: later on we discovered these homunculi were now in lack of a master. They did not bend to our will as we might expect, though. When inquired of the whereabouts and fate of their old masters, they simply corrected us, saying “there was only one”, and moved on to shifty answers that proved the gravity of the matter, as well as their reluctance to dwell in the past. So far, the mystery remains.)

“The true origins of such artifacts are still unknown. All we know for sure is that the planar amulets are made to target claims beyond the barriers of reality. In our travels, we have been able to discover only five of them, revered and protected as treasures of great valor (one was indeed worshiped as the weapon of a so-called god, within the prison-plane of Avidor. This is the one now preserved in the Hall of the Convergent. We were forced to steal and use it in order to return, since the plane itself would not allow departure under any other way. I can only speculate why the locals never used it. Perhaps they fell to the same trap and, by anchoring themselves to loved ones, they brought them to be imprisoned instead of leaving that accursed chaos world.) The text is followed by a drawing very similar to the dagger the companions received moments before.

As for the experiment register book, it holds by its end a series of entries that, in a way, confirm the group’s suspicions about the surrounding garden. They depict a war among several factions of a forgotten race. The writer attempted a last-resort action to save his people, bringing this garden to life.

[sblock=EXPERIMENT LOGS]

“Day 59 of Margramor.

We have failed to show the error of our choices to the Willing. They will not succeed without the rituals, and now they blame us for the numerous losses upheld on the Coincidental Assemblies. We were not mistaken. It was not possible to defeat such tremendous power through sheer constancy and strength of character. The “god” would not tolerate eternal debate. Nevertheless, we need his talents. Otherwise, none of the others will be fooled into our trap.”

“Day 7 of Orgariz.

My colleagues are mistaken. Defeating the so-called God of Mysteries is but a feeble conquest. Others have already taken notice, and the Assembly fights amongst itself. Willing insist that we might turn into gods through sheer will, sorcerers ally themselves with the obsessed Willing, Slayers wish only for the death of the supposed gods… We need a better plan. We need to ensure the survival of our work, even in the event these so called “divine beings” march against us.“

“Day 34 of Guraur.

After my brief encounter with one of the homunculi, I have finally discovered how they managed to achieve awareness. The ritual is not pretty, but it is better than the option. The God of Mysteries betrays our commands as he is set loose from his prison even now. The Contract we shaped is not enough, for we are not capable as he is (something we should change eventually).

To obtain his powers, we should resort to a most dreadful crime…
And to think these cruel pests now run amok on our own world! May history forgive us for that… I almost can’t.

“Day 37 of Longmonth.

Assembly has disavowed my plans. I was soon after sought by Slayers. They agree to go through with it, as long as we can take the Contract from the Table of the Willing. It will be hard, but possible.

“Day 45 of Longmonth.

They did it! The God is no more, and I fear what they might become! After the ritual ended – sated by blood and flesh tore off from the god’s body – it seems that madness and hunger took over them. I must seek shelter within my laboratory. Under the Fallen Temple of Anguish I might even find protection.

“Day 4 of Mirash.

I gathered my faithful. We have precious little time to spare. The only solution I can find now is to risk everything, so we might endure the test of time. Slayers and Willing fight in the streets. Our cities burn with astounding speed… Sorcerers have made sure of it. Our theurgist cast is almost entirely dead, the old Relief Statues silent as the officiants lay torn at their feet.

I have decided to do it, finally. I’ll allow myself to disappear into my garden – concocted from a mixture of the most persistent and fertile species I could find in the planes. With luck, I’ll become aware within its body and live through the ages as we once desired. Fools, we were. The answer we sought was not among the stars. Only a generation after another might expect to be immortal, the inevitable chain of ages. I hope to live through the aeons as the descendants of this garden spread throughout the lands.

My followers will be sent to the furthest reaches of existence, through dimensions we alone know. Someday, if all works out, they’ll be able to return here and start over from the ashes of our failure. Maybe then I’ll reassume my former position and complete the work of my life.”
[/sblock]

“He looks over his companions as each checks the room in his own way paying special attention to their new companion.”

Arvana does not risk taking anything from the room. She moves gracefully around, paying special attention to the sounds outside. She’s close to fissures on the wall at all times, almost as if she wanted to understand the creatures surrounding the building. Her gestures and manners remind the uses of hunters: the careful steps, the calculated glances, the shy and precise leaps forward. She doesn’t notice Marius’ furtive study, though, distracted by the environment.

She noticeably approaches the horn of plenty with every step, that much becomes clear as everyone explores the room. As she comes within arm’s reach, she does not try to touch it, though, resting a fascinated eye upon it and its peculiar product. It’s almost as if she covets the object, but holds back from trying and reaching out for it.

[Sorry for the delay, guys! We hosted dinner and lunch for our families. Also, the post came out larger than I expected. I'll keep posting at my pace and responding to your posts. If you guys need to take some time, just warn me, ok? This one is overly long because it's the last bridge of the prologue. I hope you guys like it! Happy Holidays!]

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Underground garden
Night
Round 0

“Lots o’ magic,” Morgrym murmured. “Tha’ map.” He indicated the map Reynard was holding. “‘Tis a guide. An’ the horn o’ plenty.” He indicated the conucopia. “An’ tha’ dagger.” He pointed to Reynard’s bag. “‘Tis a planar amulet. A gate key.”

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)(Barkskin: +2)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 24m

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain)*, Barkskin,* Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Jago

Explorer
" You're Godsdamned right these maps are magic," Reynard exclaimed at the dwarf's assessment, coming back over to the group and trying to carefully fold the graphs up and stow them away in his pack.

" They mention a lot that ... I think they were like an old empire or the like. Like this area, this city, they called 'Cartagula', and the people who controlled it were The Willing, which ... hey."

Reynard pauses, scratching at the scruff on his chin with arms folded, lost in a momentary thought.

" Waitaminute, that tomb we found when we first stumbled in here. The inscription read 'Here lies the last of The Willing, life and strength of Cartagula'. Do ... do you think we've stumbled into some sort of ancient city?"

He looked around the rest of the tower, noting the near-magical world outside of it below the surface.

" It's ... This was probably their home. Or one of them, at least. Before the Dwarves, before Maran was even single stone. Their power must've been immense, these Charts show ways between the planes, ships that can sail the clouds! What I wouldn't give for a fine brig and an infinite sea like the sky. The gnomes back home would love to get their hands on these."

What a find, Reynard thought: the dagger itself was almost forgotten, until Morgrym's words finally found a resounding chord in his mind.

" The dagger?" he repeated, reaching into his bag to pull the knife out. He studied it with a newfound sense of worth, eyes narrowing a bit.

" Maybe it was made by these Willings? Maybe they used it on their ships. This is our ticket around the blockade, this is how we leave Maran. To, ah, come back and save Maran, that is."

For the first time, Reynard's eyes and voice took on a tone of severity as he gripped the handle of the dagger tightly, gesturing with it towards his companions.

" We hold the key to end a war, here. And more, beyond that."

He stared back down at the ancient knife, quizzical in the way his brows curved.

" Why us? Grontar made a huge gamble giving this thing to us."

Reynard sighed, finally feeling the weight of the key for the first time. With a bit more reverence, he stowed it back along with his belongings, nodding to no one in particular in affirmation.

" We can't let him down. We need to find this 'Adalous' and find out how to use this key."

[sblock=Reynard's Stats]Character Sheet
HP: 25/25
Condition: Normal
Initiative: +6
Perception: +9
In Hand: Nothing
[sblock=Defenses]AC: 18 Flat: 13 Touch: 18
Fort: 7 Reflex: 10 Will: 7[/sblock]
[sblock=Offenses]Pistol (Mwk): +7, 1d8/x4
Chakrams: +6, 1d8/x2
- Flurry of Throws: +4/+4
Unarmed Strike: +6, 1d6

Paper Cartridges: 66/70
Entangling Shot: 5/5
Flare Cartridges: 5/5[/sblock]
Grit: 3/3
Deeds:
Gunslinger's Dodge
Quick Clear
Up Close And Deadly
[sblock=Adventure Notes]Game Info:
We have a dagger that is actually a Planar Key. It is very cool.

The dagger is to go to someone named "Adalous". We reach him by going North through "The Dungeons"

Arvana supposedly knows a mythical oracle-like creature called The Lady. Reynard is intrigued and wants to go spelunking with her.

Reynard has a series of ancient maps, one of which appears to be magical. Morgrym called it 'a guide'.

We stumbled across information on 'The Willings': powerful beings from ages ago who charted the world, experimented with planar gateways, and supposedly even had flying vessels. The city of Maran used to be called 'Cartaluga' to them.[/sblock][/sblock]

Neurotic

Marius approaches still thumbing through the books.

"They didn't create them, they discovered five of them. One of them, the dagger, was rumored to be weapon of some self-styled god in prison plane Avidor. They escaped the prison via such planar amulet, this dagger of ours. There are lists of planes and preparations needed to visit them. Also, they were powerful, but they fought among themselves. Willing were very powerful, but they were 'lesser' creatures in this conflict. The author of these books, the travelers mentioned and the creator of this garden were of different race and they all together fought beings of god-like powers. The author is careful to always call them so-called gods. The last of these creatures tried to merge with wild life hoping to become immortal through the plant life. In a way, he willingly gave his conciousness into the spread of nature.

Lets explore the tower, maybe there is a way to communicate with the creature. Don't take anything at the moment."

Archon Basileus

First Post
REYNARD

" We can't let him down. We need to find this 'Adalous' and find out how to use this key."

Arvana looks at Reynard with a satisfied expression, as that of a cat ornering its prey.

“Wouldn’t leave the patron behind, would you?” – she looks at the trio. “Maybe there’s your reason.”

After that, she becomes more secure of herself. Reynard notices that the next steps she takes are led closer to him. Might be a first sign of trust on her part, or just a calculated gesture.

MARIUS

After the brief conversation about the dagger, Arvana seems to become a lot more pensive. Marius notices as her attention is driven from the environment and into some obscure conjecture, not clear altogether.

MORGRYM

The dwarf notices Arvana’s change as well. It would not cause alarm under usual circumstances, but the original concerns of the druid recommend caution. He also sees her closing on Reynard. It’s not enough to pull moves on him, but still…

EVERYONE

[OOC – if no one wants to add anything, this is what follows; any actions can be added, though, before or during the climb; I’ll edit to fit them accordingly!]

“Lets explore the tower, maybe there is a way to communicate with the creature. Don't take anything at the moment."

The four find their way through the half-path towards the stairs.

As the companions ascend through the narrowed path, the soft noises that accompanied them outside seem to be reproduced on the inside. Branches around the walls seem to move as if brought to life by gusts of wind. Noticeably, the movements are very orderly, as if conducting the group up with a gentle invitation. An aromatic breeze seems to rise from little blossoms, a welcoming touch considering the general roughness of the surroundings.

Atop the tower an open room still stands. Part of the back wall crumbled, and by the looks of it, took part of some vigorous branches with it. Nevertheless, time has regenerated the bruises, as thinner arms flourish up and out, taking the place of the once solid wall. On the other corner there’s enough stone to maintain two windows standing, intact. The blue flame crepitates in the central pyre, giving an eerie aspect to the place. All around, a thick ivy holds an ominous position, branching in strong black and green chords towards the only entire corner of the tower. There, the branches align, forming an almost human shape, sprung out as a man who passed out.

The leaves surrounding them agitate themselves in a soft manner, simulating the noise that beasts do when crossing bushes. The branches seem flexible, moving lightly as if they were tendrils protruding from the semi-human body that lies aside. Small berries and heavier fruits share space with strange varieties of flowers, all exuding exotic perfumes.

Jago

Explorer
Reynard raised a brow at Arvana as he stowed the dagger away again, adjusting his straw hat as he answered her.

" I fully intend on finding Grontar again once we return to Maran," he offered, " But right now, we've enough on our hands. There'll be time for other pursuits, though."

He studied the woman for a moment, trying to see what exactly her game was. Still, it's not like he was going to object to having her closer. However, heeding Marius's warning, the sailor emptied the charts and maps he had procured before, laying them back down. He was a bit disheartened to leave behind such precious things, but he hoped to return for them after they sorted out this idea of a Plant Man. Or Plant God, as it were.

OOC: Sense Motive on Arvana - [roll0]

At the top of the Tower, Reynard took in the strange sights and smells of the plant-life all around them, pondering on Marius's words from below. While his mouth watered at the idea of fresh fruit, if the monk were to be believed he wouldn't be just munching on a mango, but probably someone's eye or what have you.

" The sounds ... It's like it's breathing," he noted quietly, finally looking up at the facsimile human composed of branches and ivory. His hands came to his hips, his naval boot tapping on the floor as he tried to make heads or tails of this.

" Do you think this was our jack?" he asked the others, " Maybe it can understand us, communicate somehow." ~

[sblock=Reynard's Stats]Character Sheet
HP: 25/25
Condition: Normal
Initiative: +6
Perception: +9
In Hand: Nothing
[sblock=Defenses]AC: 18 Flat: 13 Touch: 18
Fort: 7 Reflex: 10 Will: 7[/sblock]
[sblock=Offenses]Pistol (Mwk): +7, 1d8/x4
Chakrams: +6, 1d8/x2
- Flurry of Throws: +4/+4
Unarmed Strike: +6, 1d6

Paper Cartridges: 66/70
Entangling Shot: 5/5
Flare Cartridges: 5/5[/sblock]
Grit: 3/3
Deeds:
Gunslinger's Dodge
Quick Clear
Up Close And Deadly
[sblock=Adventure Notes]Game Info:
We have a dagger that is actually a Planar Key. It is very cool.

The dagger is to go to someone named "Adalous". We reach him by going North through "The Dungeons"

Arvana supposedly knows a mythical oracle-like creature called The Lady. Reynard is intrigued and wants to go spelunking with her.

Reynard found a series of ancient maps, one of which appears to be magical. Morgrym called it 'a guide'. We have left these behind for now.

We stumbled across information on 'The Willings': powerful beings from ages ago who charted the world, experimented with planar gateways, and supposedly even had flying vessels. The city of Maran used to be called 'Cartaluga' to them.

The Willing and several other races banded together to fight against another species of "So-Called Gods". The Willing came from the prison plane of Avidor, and used our dagger to escape it.[/sblock][/sblock]

Remove ads