Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

Archon Basileus

First Post
MORGRYM/MARIUS

“Scavengers?” He snorted in disgust.

“I’d reckon.” – Arvana whispers as they lay low.

"Let's approach some more, I'll go forward checking as I go. Do you see any raise that you think would be good for your observation?"

The trio finds a slope good enough to give them advantage, in case of confrontation. Arvana signals and hides, laying against the rubble and preparing her bow for any surprises.

As Morgrym and Marius approach the illuminated area, they see what seems to be a slim, blond dwarf coming back and forth between a half-functioning steam engine and a bonfire. The machine moans and hisses as he feeds it with pieces of coal. The thing moves a bit and dies out again, yelling loudly as the chamber releases a cloud of heat around.

“Damn!” – the would-be engineer jumps back. As he does so, Morgrym and Marius recognize the frail appearance of a gnome underneath uncouth clothes, long beard and tressed hair. He dresses in such a manner that he can be taken by a small dwarf, despite his physical limitations and his distinctive ears. “Seven hells TAKE THIS STUPID THING!” – he kicks it, a resounding bell-like noise filling the area as the engine dies out. He moves towards the bonfire, sitting in front of it in silence and disappointment.

It takes him a long time till he realizes someone is around. Even so, as he rises his head towards Marius and Morgrym, he squints, the iris of his eyes clearer than usual. “Who… Who’s there? He goes for a cane, not far from the fire, and slides it out, showing a thin rapier hidden within it.

[I'll bring you guys together in no time! I'm just using this opportunity to get used to a faster, smaller model of posting! I've also prepared... a few surprises... for the road, hehehe. Also, I've taken the liberty of rolling a few tests for Morgrym, such as stealth and perception, just in case. As the need arises, I'll post it around.]

HAGADARK

As the hunters move towards the entrance, Hagadark recognizes the sound of steps descending the steep and broken steps. A mumbling voice, female in nature and potent as an ogre’s, issues commands to what one could presume to be a pair of beasts. The heavy steps share rhythmically interrupted by the padding of a cane against stone.

“Fetch, fetch!” – the voice says, and as it comes close, a pair of chains can be heard rattling against the stone. “Easy, stop pulling, dearies… Did you find it?” – a heavy snort comes as an answer. Hagadark can see them now. The figure is tall and massive, wrapped around a long, ragged tunic, the head covered by a hood. The cane is long, adapted to the ogre-like stature. On the other hand, the giant figure holds chains that restrain the movement of an impressive pair of savage boars. Hanging from the female’s belt and among many pouches of differing sizes there’s an old, heavy book, possibly a grimoire.

They have not located the hunters yet. But the boar’s senses won’t be fooled forever. Passing around them might be possible.

[I've rolled stealth for Hagadark and the hunters, as well as the other necessary tests. I've also used the opportunity to split the post in two, trying to make it livelier. Hope you guys like it!

Hagadarks stealth = 19
Hunter's stealth = 22]

@Neurotic @KahlessNestor @MetaVoid

Last edited:

Hagadark motions for silence and backs up slowly leading the group around. He mimes there is big trouble ahead and that they should move around. Stealth and ogres and loud squeeling pigs don't mix well.

If he gets the chance he whispers to others describing what he saw, but he will not risk it until they move at least 20 or so feet away from their current position.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Near Maran
Night
Round 0

“Put that pig-sticker away unless yeh plan on usin’ it,” Morgrym huffed at the gnome as they scrambled down the slope. “If we were ‘ere t’ ‘urt yeh, we wuildnae come boundin’ in like a troop o’ buffalo. We’re jus’ a couple o’ travelers passin’ through. Wot seems t’ be yuiir problem?” He glanced at the machine.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Endure Elements, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain), Barkskin, Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Just out of interest, do you have an army here somewhere? You're making enough noise to attract every predator creature from miles away."

Marius looks around and goes to one side turning to Morgrym as he goes
"I will be around, friend, you see what is happening here."
He fades into the night looking for gnomes companions or aforementioned predators.

Archon Basileus

First Post
MORGRYM/MARIUS

“If we were ‘ere t’ ‘urt yeh, we wuildnae come boundin’ in like a troop o’ buffalo. We’re jus’ a couple o’ travelers passin’ through. Wot seems t’ be yuiir problem?”

The gnome glances at the pair suspiciously. “Well… I suppose you wouldn’t be the sort… Still….” – he sheathes the blade once more, keeping the cane at hand. “…I might keep it at an arm’s reach… If … you don’t mind.” – he moves towards the fire, looking over his shoulder as Marius moves towards the shadows.

"Just out of interest, do you have an army here somewhere? You're making enough noise to attract every predator creature from miles away."

“No armies here. Whatever remains lies in sight. And no beasts as well. At least, not as far as I’ve seen…” – his heavy glance and surreal half-smile seem to hold him on distrust.

“You…. Two are fairly lost, are you not?” – the sly half-smile increases, as if the gnome is playing a game privy to himself. Marius scouts around, confirming the gnome’s words. Not an owl, not a jackal or hyena to be seen. No men, either. He is, surprisingly, alone, stranded in this cold vastness. For a second, though, the wind seems to bring a soft, unintelligible whisper… But it vanishes, almost like a mind trick or an illusion.

“I mean, the road is the exact opposite way you came from…” – slightly curved, he approaches the bonfire, that smile finally flourishing in a full-blown smirk. “And no one would have a single solitary reason to come here.” – suddenly, Morgrym listens to a cold, soft whisper coming from the outskirts of that camp, a fleeting sound that vanishes soon after. The gnome falls silent for a moment, considering the travelers’ presence.

“Unless…” – his eyebrows rise in a sudden epiphany.

“Are you perchance… Looking for someone?”

HAGADARK

The hunters are used to move around without casting any sort of noise. Obviously, they have distinct reasons, for the most part, and even though the half-breeds understand Hagadark’s attitude soon enough, the purebloods seem annoyed for wasting a good fight. Most people call them reckless; they call themselves brave. After a lifetime dealing with their impulsiveness, Hagadark came to understand how their simplistic minds justify certain death as an act of honor to their decadent gods – the thousand Serth. Even so, the purebloods subdue their brutal instincts after looking at Hagadark – certainly bearing the alchemist’s promise in mind.
The party finds an easy contour and makes its way up, leaving the giant trio behind, little by little. As they move, the female still makes occasional remarks about truffles and food.

“This looks juicy, dearies… goes along with those fleshy legs as they cook, loosening the flesh…. Mmm, yes, yes. Shame brother won’t be around to taste it. We’ll have to save him some, won’t we, dearies? Provided those lights don’t do him away… Damn lights, dearies… Yeees. Damn lights and damn Dreamer. Hopefully brother won’t listen to him no more…”

As Hagadark goes up, he notices the way stretching up and thinning out, to the point they can only pass one after the other. The female giant must have had to step sideways to pass through, as only her boars would be able to jump nimbly through the passage – and even them might have problems. She is pretty far below now, and would not notice their movement. The ominous way up, though, does not allow for room to maneuver, and it is an ideal spot for a trap or two. There’s no other way to continue upwards, though.

Hagadark sees a faint, indirect light struggling to come out from the other side of the path. A distant noise of hooves and grunts suggest at least another pair of boars on the other side.

[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] [MENTION=87106]MetaVoid[/MENTION]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Marius returns to the camp.

"No one is around. But there is something stirring in the dark."
He waves toward Arvanas hideout.
"Yes, we're looking for someone. But there is a reason you're here too. As you said, the road is far away." he ends up with raised eyebrows marking this as a question

Hagadark nods at the passage and whispers

"It seems we will have our fight regardless. Lets try to pass through before we get into the fight, eh? I'll scout ahead, wait here."

Knowing that purebloods will be impatient he slips into the passage just far enough to see if they can pass unnoticed. If not, is there a place that they can rally before the combat? If not that either, he prepares to unleash hell, planning as he goes depending on what he sees.

In any case, he will return to the group as soon as possible to avoid charging orcs.

Archon Basileus

First Post
MORGRYM/MARIUS (O-20)

"Yes, we're looking for someone. But there is a reason you're here too. As you said, the road is far away."

“I was camping here with a research team. But the camp and the team are gone, now.” – a side glance and a calculated distance still denounce his mistrust. “Everyone seems to be gone these days.” – he points over his shoulder towards north. “To that damn city.” – he pauses, studying the pair and dissecting the darkness with concern. Guessing he would not find the third member of the party so easily, he keeps his stance and steps to the side a bit. “You go over that slope and you’ll see. Lights everywhere. I got tired of counting windows. What if each one of those lights belongs to a poor soul that entered that place?” – his eyes roll around and his face glistens with sweat, despite the cold breeze. He seems feverish. “Too many. And they never come out. Not ever.”

“Gods know I’d be rich, had I a coin to each man, woman and child I’ve seen going through those gates. They came from the roads and from the villages. I’d be surprised to see anyone left roaming this desert.” – he scouts the area, uneasy.

HAGADARK (N-23)

"It seems we will have our fight regardless. Lets try to pass through before we get into the fight, eh? I'll scout ahead, wait here."
From his current position, Hagadark can grasp an ample chamber on the other side of the passage. After his first steps, he’s reassured of it, making further explorations needless. As he comes back, he also finds a few recesses that could be used as hiding spots. Boulders are scattered all around, making for plentiful cover as well.

[A little map to make Hagadark’s scouting more concrete!]

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nqispO67s2ZXLunqhdY4dnNwI/edit#gid=1405717895

@Neurotic @KahlessNestor @MetaVoid

OOC: [MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION], the map shows an empty room. I will take that means the source of the light we noticed is natural and that Hagadark didn't see anything threatening in this part of the cavern. Note that any artificial illumination is automatically dangerous. If I'm wrong, I'll change the post.

Hagadark leads the hunters deeper into the cavern with him and one other scout ranging up front while others keep back. He goes as far away from the strange group as he can before calling for a rest. He even lets the troupe relax and ignores any fights that come from being normal to let them unwind.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Near Maran
Night
Round 0

“An’ wot city is tha’?” Morgrym asked the gnome. “Why were they gaein’ there, an’ why didnae ye gae?”

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Endure Elements, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain), Barkskin, Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Remove ads