Icewind Dale EE & other infinity engine games.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I love the Infinity engine games, even though Icewind Dale 2 is tedious.

As to BG3, characters and story may feel like a tabletop rpg and D&Dish, but the playstyle and mechanics is still very much a Divinity game. So I will pass on that one.

How did you get Icewind Dale 2? I thought it was consigned to the dustbin of history as they lost the source code files and Beamdog couldn’t produce the new version?
The sourcecode isn't the same as a copy of the game. I've got it on disk somewhere, there must be tens of thousands of them, but you can't work back from a copy of the game to recreate the sourcecode. Which means you can't do an "enhanced edition" since that requires the sourcecode, but you can still have the game as it came out on the original disk.

TheSword

Legend
You can still get the regular game on GoG.com. You are correct that the source code was lost so we probably won't ever see an EE of Ivewind Dale 2.
Ahh cool. I didn’t realise GoG had it. It must have been in the last year or two. I had the old disks too. Flipping love that game but could never get it to work on my modern laptop - I’m not very good with mods and emulators. Great that GoG sort that bit out.

Just need GoG to release Birthright: Gorgons Crown now!

Ahh cool. I didn’t realise GoG had it. It must have been in the last year or two. I had the old disks too. Flipping love that game but could never get it to work on my modern laptop - I’m not very good with mods and emulators. Great that GoG sort that bit out.

Just need GoG to release Birthright: Gorgons Crown now!
Icewind Dale II is fairly cheep too. It should work with no issue, it comes with latest update and I think you can even do wide screen.

GreyLord

Legend
You can still get the regular game on GoG.com. You are correct that the source code was lost so we probably won't ever see an EE of Ivewind Dale 2.

I don't know. Maybe it would make it hard to do some things, but other items wouldn't be too hard, at least no harder then it was to mod it over a decade ago.

I used to make mods, and most of the stuff I've seen done via the EE's wouldn't be terribly hard to mod in...it would just take a lot of time and effort.

Actually, in all honesty, some of the mods did more and were more stable than the EE's have been.

On Linux I cannot get any of the EE's to run, even though they say they have Linux installers (from GoG). I've gotten the base game versions of BG and BG2 to install and run on Linux though.

As to BG3, characters and story may feel like a tabletop rpg and D&Dish, but the playstyle and mechanics is still very much a Divinity game. So I will pass on that one.
Given it literally uses 5E mechanics for the vast majority of what it does, and better than Solasta, even, for the most part, I'm rather confused by this. It does have surfaces like Divinity, but they don't play the same central role.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Given it literally uses 5E mechanics for the vast majority of what it does, and better than Solasta, even, for the most part, I'm rather confused by this. It does have surfaces like Divinity, but they don't play the same central role.
Can you play turn based? Because I'm old and can't play video games worth a darn.....and have no interest in being frustrated for that much money.

Remove ads