If two different elven sub-races have a child, what sub-race is the elven child?

glass

(he, him)
I seem to recall reading something about drow who mate with other elves usually producing drow children. Maybe in the 2e Menzoberranzan(sp) boxed set?

It is the only time I have ever seen the issue addressed, but it would suggest that some subraces are more likely to breed true than others, maybe 75%-25%. With subraces of the same 'dominance level' being 50-50.

But of course, more significant things that inter-elf breeding have changed since 2e, so feel free to ignore imy take.

glass.

Rystil Arden

First Post
At least in the FR novels (not an official source, I know, but it's the only place I've seen this), its a 50/50 chance for either. One new player in one of my games played a Sun Elf with no good background, so I gave him a Star Elf sister and a parent of either sort.

Storm Raven

First Post
ecliptic said:
I just want a ruling on if they breed true or not, or do they become some weird mix.

It would be a Dms call, as there appear to be no "official" rules for elven breeding programs. Given that this is such a campaign specific (and, for the most campaigns, irrelevant) issue, I am unsurprised.

lukelightning

First Post
Gods! There are enough elven sub-races already without adding hybrids to the mix! Here is my ruling: when two elven sub-races mate they produce a gibbering mouther. Why? Because the mutagenic chaos energy in the elves which gives them such incredibly fast evolution despite their life-spans and low birth rate will recombine and form an aberration.

Or perhaps they give birth to a big lump of cheese. 'Cuz that is what's going to happen: "Oh, I want to play a paladin...I want a bonus to charisma and strength so my character will be half wood elf and half star elf...."

Sejs

First Post
Or perhaps they give birth to a big lump of cheese. 'Cuz that is what's going to happen: "Oh, I want to play a paladin...I want a bonus to charisma and strength so my character will be half wood elf and half star elf...."

"...I think I'll call him a Woots Elf."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sun Elf + Moon Elf = Dawn Elf

Wood Elf + Wild Elf = Weed Elf

Dark Elf + Sun Elf = Eclipse Elf

Dark Elf + Moon Elf = New Moon Elf

Sun Elf + Wild Elf = Burningman Elf

Moon Elf + Wild Elf = Frat Elf

Grey Elf + Dark Elf = Toner Elf

High Elf + Wild Elf = Stoner Elf

Aquatic Elf + Sun Elf = Rio Elf

Aquatic Elf + Moon Elf = Skinnydipper Elf

Aquatic Elf + Wood Elf = SurfDude Elf

Aquatic Elf + Dark Elf = Deep Elf

ZuulMoG

First Post
Why not just declare that racial characteristics are stored on the X or Y chromosome, and allow the appropriate parent's lineage decide? IE if the X holds the stat mods, the mother determines the child's stat bonuses, or vice-versa. Then you'd have a strong patri- or matrilinear chain of descent, and appropriate social memes.

beaver1024

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Sun Elf + Moon Elf = Dawn Elf

Wood Elf + Wild Elf = Weed Elf

Dark Elf + Sun Elf = Eclipse Elf

Dark Elf + Moon Elf = New Moon Elf

Sun Elf + Wild Elf = Burningman Elf

Moon Elf + Wild Elf = Frat Elf

Grey Elf + Dark Elf = Toner Elf

High Elf + Wild Elf = Stoner Elf

Aquatic Elf + Sun Elf = Rio Elf