• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If two different elven sub-races have a child, what sub-race is the elven child?

glass

(he, him)
I seem to recall reading something about drow who mate with other elves usually producing drow children. Maybe in the 2e Menzoberranzan(sp) boxed set?

It is the only time I have ever seen the issue addressed, but it would suggest that some subraces are more likely to breed true than others, maybe 75%-25%. With subraces of the same 'dominance level' being 50-50.

But of course, more significant things that inter-elf breeding have changed since 2e, so feel free to ignore imy take.

glass.

Rystil Arden

First Post
At least in the FR novels (not an official source, I know, but it's the only place I've seen this), its a 50/50 chance for either. One new player in one of my games played a Sun Elf with no good background, so I gave him a Star Elf sister and a parent of either sort.

Storm Raven

First Post
ecliptic said:
I just want a ruling on if they breed true or not, or do they become some weird mix.

It would be a Dms call, as there appear to be no "official" rules for elven breeding programs. Given that this is such a campaign specific (and, for the most campaigns, irrelevant) issue, I am unsurprised.

lukelightning

First Post
Gods! There are enough elven sub-races already without adding hybrids to the mix! Here is my ruling: when two elven sub-races mate they produce a gibbering mouther. Why? Because the mutagenic chaos energy in the elves which gives them such incredibly fast evolution despite their life-spans and low birth rate will recombine and form an aberration.

Or perhaps they give birth to a big lump of cheese. 'Cuz that is what's going to happen: "Oh, I want to play a paladin...I want a bonus to charisma and strength so my character will be half wood elf and half star elf...."

Sejs

First Post
Or perhaps they give birth to a big lump of cheese. 'Cuz that is what's going to happen: "Oh, I want to play a paladin...I want a bonus to charisma and strength so my character will be half wood elf and half star elf...."

"...I think I'll call him a Woots Elf."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sun Elf + Moon Elf = Dawn Elf

Wood Elf + Wild Elf = Weed Elf

Dark Elf + Sun Elf = Eclipse Elf

Dark Elf + Moon Elf = New Moon Elf

Sun Elf + Wild Elf = Burningman Elf

Moon Elf + Wild Elf = Frat Elf

Grey Elf + Dark Elf = Toner Elf

High Elf + Wild Elf = Stoner Elf

Aquatic Elf + Sun Elf = Rio Elf

Aquatic Elf + Moon Elf = Skinnydipper Elf

Aquatic Elf + Wood Elf = SurfDude Elf

Aquatic Elf + Dark Elf = Deep Elf

ZuulMoG

First Post
Why not just declare that racial characteristics are stored on the X or Y chromosome, and allow the appropriate parent's lineage decide? IE if the X holds the stat mods, the mother determines the child's stat bonuses, or vice-versa. Then you'd have a strong patri- or matrilinear chain of descent, and appropriate social memes.

beaver1024

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Sun Elf + Moon Elf = Dawn Elf

Wood Elf + Wild Elf = Weed Elf

Dark Elf + Sun Elf = Eclipse Elf

Dark Elf + Moon Elf = New Moon Elf

Sun Elf + Wild Elf = Burningman Elf

Moon Elf + Wild Elf = Frat Elf

Grey Elf + Dark Elf = Toner Elf

High Elf + Wild Elf = Stoner Elf

Aquatic Elf + Sun Elf = Rio Elf