• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you build it they will come

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The latest playtest allows for all sorts of customization – Do It Yourself
Styles (for fighters), Schemes (for Rogues), Specialties, and Backgrounds.

So many ways to customize! So tell me what it is you want to build!

* What custom sequence of maneuvers gives you the fighter or rogue you want? (are they all based off the same stat, or is there diversity?)

* What skill cluster gives you the character that you want to play (as a background or a rogue)?

* How will you avoid skill redundancy (so that you don’t get the same skills in your background and your rogue scheme)?

* What feat-sequence in a custom specialty gives you the ideal progression for the PC you want to play? (Here’s my lumberjack specialty feat-sequence: Find Familiar, Bushwhacker’s Tactics, Durable, Master Detective).

We’ve all asked the question in our heads: the playtest packet is giving us choice here. How do you customize your background, and do you try to break the game?

Or have you had other ideas?

Li Shenron

Legend
* How will you avoid skill redundancy (so that you don’t get the same skills in your background and your rogue scheme)?

Just a note here, that the rules already take this into account and explicitly allow to swap a background skill with something else if you already have it from another source (scheme or race).

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I understand that -- what skill are you going to swap in?

Is anyone building custom characters, either for optimization or to recreate a specific feel or effect?

Just a note here, that the rules already take this into account and explicitly allow to swap a background skill with something else if you already have it from another source (scheme or race).
Yes, and that is a rule, which would have been really needed in 4e too. I am so glad, they included it in next.

In 4e often best matches were discouraged by the fact that overlapping skills didn't synergize!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Really? No one's begun designing yet? I would have thought others would be doing it as you were reading through the packet on a first pass.

Is it that you like the options you've been given? Is there no need for the absolute-free-for-all to design they've given us?

Remove ads