• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm annoyed at archers.

Storm Raven

First Post
WizarDru said:
Bad example, actually. Legolas only leads in the very beginning of the siege, with 9 kills to Gimli's 2. They then stay even through most of the battle, with Gimli winning with 42 kills to Legolas' 41. Legolas also runs out of arrows during at least one phase of the siege. I just finished reading it, and then went just now to double-check, after you mentioned.

Gimli only wins in the end because Legolas ran out of arrows and had to restock. ;)

Last edited:

shadowcaster007

First Post
I play a rogue/fighter with plans for deepwoods sniper in RttToEE. As an archer she's pretty cool. However I know that the Tanks in our party will out perform me any day.
Plus in a huge dungeon like this amunition is my biggest enemy. I only have so many arrows in my quiver. When I run out that's it. I find myself pulling my rapier and getting in the thick of it more and more saving the arrows for a "bigger" encounter. I may be the best archer in the world but if I'm out of arrows I'm not worth a hill of beans.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the archer.

LokiDR

First Post
shadowcaster007 said:
I play a rogue/fighter with plans for deepwoods sniper in RttToEE. As an archer she's pretty cool. However I know that the Tanks in our party will out perform me any day.
Plus in a huge dungeon like this amunition is my biggest enemy. I only have so many arrows in my quiver. When I run out that's it. I find myself pulling my rapier and getting in the thick of it more and more saving the arrows for a "bigger" encounter. I may be the best archer in the world but if I'm out of arrows I'm not worth a hill of beans.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the archer.

Are you unable to get out? Do any enemies use arrows you could loot? How many could you bring with you in a bag of holding? Does it take some fun out of the game, counting all those arrows? It's different for everyone, but these are some reasons why arrow counting isn't the best method for keeping archers from out-shining others.

IceBear

Explorer
As a DM I'm counting arrows, potions, etc for the PCs (can't trust them to be honest you know :D) and for the NPCs. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

IceBear

Thanee

First Post
In our campaign we are travelling in the Underdark (some 3-part AD&D campaign played with D&D3E) with 1 pure archer-type character (Drow Fighter/Order of the Bow Initiate 9th level + 2 ECL), 1 archer-type/caster character (Lightfoot Halfling Rogue/Wizard/Arcane Trickster 12th level (moi)), 2 pure melee-type characters (Human Ranger/Fighter/Shadowdancer 11th level, and Shield Dwarf Fighter 11th level (NPC)) and 2 melee-type/caster characters (Gold Dwarf Cleric 12th level and Human Fighter/Psion/Metamind 11th level).

The 2 archers go through quite a few arrows recently, but in our bag of holding we carry several hundred arrows, so supply is not really a problem. Also with 2 characters who can cast GMW (+3 and +4), we rarely run out of magic arrows, altho usually a single casting is enough for the day (30 arrows for the drow and 20 for me).

Sometimes the archers outperform the meleers, but I can't really say they always do.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
A nice way to re-use arrows, is to collect the used ones and let the party wizard cast Mending on them, when there is time to do so. One spell per arrow, but still better than running out of arrows! :)

Bye
Thanee

SAUG

First Post
Hehe...reminds me a bit of this wood-elf ranger/fighter/lasher with with all the archer tweaks and specialization. Fought with a longsword and a whip. Lots of attacks, died at 9th from 4th level cleric's hold person *sob*.

Sorry slightly off topic ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads