• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook (aka The Worship Points System)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impeesa

Explorer
Hey UK, do you read Dragon magazine? There's an interesting article on 'Small Gods' (ancestral, nature spirits, saints, and heroes) and how they can fit into a story/campaign. It gave as one example a giant oak that was worshipped by dwarves, who made pilgrimages to a cavern filled with her roots. This underground shrine is a place of healing. If it was only a normal tree to begin with, is it counted as a spirit-deity? Or is it simply inhabited by another nature spirit? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

And next issue is supposed to have "stats for 4 Greyhawk gods.." :eek: I think they're moving in on you...

--Impeesa--

Hi Impeesa mate! :)

Impeesa said:
Hey UK, do you read Dragon magazine?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get Dragon Magazine here for over two years (despite having it on order at the cities only game shop for over a year!). I have about 125 issues though, just nothing recent. Next time I pick up an issue I'll be sure to subscribe.

Impeesa said:
There's an interesting article on 'Small Gods' (ancestral, nature spirits, saints, and heroes) and how they can fit into a story/campaign. It gave as one example a giant oak that was worshipped by dwarves, who made pilgrimages to a cavern filled with her roots. This underground shrine is a place of healing. If it was only a normal tree to begin with, is it counted as a spirit-deity? Or is it simply inhabited by another nature spirit? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Sounds very interesting, perhaps I'll try and pick up that issue as well!?

Were you asking my opinion on the nature (no pun intended) of the tree spirit.!? My interpretation would be that enough worship could coalesce into sentience granting the tree a 'spirit', though unlikely this could assume full divinity (capable of granting spells) - reading above its merely capable of conveying rudimentary healing powers.

Impeesa said:
And next issue is supposed to have "stats for 4 Greyhawk gods.." :eek: I think they're moving in on you...

My good friend Scott Greene was nice enough to appraise me of this fact and another good friend is sending me a copy of the next dragon magazine, after which I'll subscribe.

I'm really looking forward to the article (I'm sure I'll be aware of the contents even before I have the issue!). Hopefully the four deities will cover the spread of divinity. eg. Kelanen, Vecna, Kord and Boccob would be nice.

poilbrun

Explorer
I was one of the first to answer it... :)

Can't you tell us who is the publisher? I'm quite curious to know who takes the chance because, after all, it's quite risky, no one has ever created rules like the Immortal Handbook...

Hi poilbrun mate! :)

poilbrun said:
I was one of the first to answer it... :)

Thanks mate I appreciate the support! :)

poilbrun said:
Can't you tell us who is the publisher?

That might be unethical until we sign a contract; which is itself pending me sending them a substantial preview - which I have said I will next week. Hopefully then we can reveal who it is. :)

poilbrun said:
I'm quite curious to know who takes the chance because, after all, it's quite risky, no one has ever created rules like the Immortal Handbook...

I can mention that the publishers were both excited and daunted at the prospect of undertaking what will be the largest (and hopefully the best*) .pdf ever.

*;)

poilbrun

Explorer
Upper_Krust said:
That might be unethical until we sign a contract; which is itself pending me sending them a substantial preview - which I have said I will next week. Hopefully then we can reveal who it is.
I thought it was already done, that's why I was curious. Now I can understand why you don't tell us who will publish it, and 100% agree with you about the unethicalness :)confused: ) of saying us who it is before signing the contract...

Upper_Krust said:
I can mention that the publishers were both excited and daunted at the prospect of undertaking what will be the largest (and hopefully the best*) .pdf ever.
*;)
As I said that's quite a risky business for them, you're quite lucky to have found a publisher ready to do this. :) After all, the size of the pdf and the subject of the book are both really new, let's hope all will work for the better!

Last edited:

Hi mate! :)

poilbrun said:
I thought it was already done, that's why I was curious. Now I can understand why you don't tell us who will publish it, and 100% agree with you about the unethicalness ( ) of saying us who it is before signing the contract...

I should be able to reveal who it is (or isn't) in about two weeks or less.

poilbrun said:
As I said that's quite a risky business for them, you're quite lucky to have found a publisher ready to do this. :) After all, the size of the pdf and the subject of the book are both really new, let's hope all will work for the better!

I agree the size of the .pdf gave some consternation; although the unillustrated version should end up within regular parameters of file size. Obviously the number of pages will be about four times anything else though.

Regarding the content, I am confident that will speak for itself - to be honest I would have been more surprised if the publisher had turned me down, than accepted the offer.

poilbrun

Explorer
Upper_Krust said:
I agree the size of the .pdf gave some consternation; although the unillustrated version should end up within regular parameters of file size. Obviously the number of pages will be about four times anything else though.

Regarding the content, I am confident that will speak for itself - to be honest I would have been more surprised if the publisher had turned me down, than accepted the offer.
It's great that you had no trouble finding the publisher and that they agreed quickly!

Just another quick question : do you gain followers because you're a god, or do you become a god because you have followers?

I'm quite interested in the answer as I'm designing the campaign that will take my players to godhood.

Zelda Themelin

First Post
poilbrun said:

Just another quick question : do you gain followers because you're a god, or do you become a god because you have followers?

I'd say both. Some powerful being with ability to give 'power' easily gains followers and might become more powerful because of them.

And mortal being might gain divinity through having enough followers, and getting them to worship him. Though I'd think usually such persons have some sort of divane support for such ascension.

IMO depends on game world and nature of gods in it.

What you say, Krusty?

Nice to know things are now truly proceeding. Btw, I will get both pdf (as long as company sharing it doesn't make that too complicated) and hardcover, whenever that will see light of day.

:)

Hi poilbrun and Zelda! :)

poilbrun said:
It's great that you had no trouble finding the publisher and that they agreed quickly!

Well as I mentioned its an agreement pending them seeing a substantial slice of the work.

poilbrun said:

I'm quite interested in the answer as I'm designing the campaign that will take my players to godhood.

Zelda Themelin said:
I'd say both. Some powerful being with ability to give 'power' easily gains followers and might become more powerful because of them.

And mortal being might gain divinity through having enough followers, and getting them to worship him. Though I'd think usually such persons have some sort of divane support for such ascension.

IMO depends on game world and nature of gods in it.

What you say, Krusty?

Thats right Zelda, both are possible.

For mortal PCs though almost certainly they will gain divinity from the worship of their followers.

Zelda Themelin said:
Nice to know things are now truly proceeding.

Btw, I will get both pdf (as long as company sharing it doesn't make that too complicated) and hardcover, whenever that will see light of day.

Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads