Immortal's Handbook continuation thread

Hi kkoie mate! :)

I trust you and the family are keeping well?

kkoie said:
BoVD has spells where part of the casting requirements actually reduce an ability score. The most horrible of the lot being a spell called Apocalypse from the Sky (imagine a fireball spell that covers everything within a multiple mile radius) that reduces wisdom and con by... I forget... something like 4d6 each or worse. Anyway I'm sure you get the idea.

They also have spells where its required you be under the influence of a specific drug, or afflicted with a specific disease, to be albe to cast the spell.

Sounds interesting; looking forward to getting that book...eventually. :rolleyes:

Do any of the spells temporarily lower your level?

Bonsoir mon ami! :)

Gez said:
Salut à vous, belle compagnie !

(This greeting © Pen of Chaos, in Naheulbeuk's Dungeon).

Whole websites in french are probably beyond my very limited understanding of the language unfortunately. :eek:

Gez said:
I believe the idea of spells reducing ability scores when cast comes from the Call of Chtulluh d20 book (written by, unsurprisingly, the same author, Monte Cook).

Indeed.

Gez said:
I've seen the BoVD in a hobbyshop, however at 46 ? it was a bit too much (I rather took the Tome of Horrors, at 32 ?).

Whats that Euros? 46 Euros are about £31. The Book of Vile Darkness should only cost about £23 (at most) or about 35 Euros.

Gez said:
Hmmm. To be more on-topic, have you had news from WotC about the progress of the SRD ?I know you had already exchanged mail with some WotC official in the past about that, are you kept informed ?

...well it was only a week ago I found out things were definately on the way. I haven't heard anything new since.

kkoie

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hi kkoie mate! :)

I trust you and the family are keeping well?

They are doing great! thanks for asking :)

Sounds interesting; looking forward to getting that book...eventually. :rolleyes:

Do any of the spells temporarily lower your level?

I don't think so... I'll have to check the book again to make sure. But I'm pretty sure that its mostly ability scores, mainly con and wisdom, for the most part anyway. I would imagine though that you could have a spell that would temp drain a level. It wouldn't be more horrible than existing spells. I know that the apocalypse from the sky spell takes away enough ability scores (among other things) that unless its an uber spellcaster, they will be dead as a result of casting the spell.

Gez

First Post
A quick hello to everyone,

Upper_Krust said:
Whats that Euros? 46 Euros are about £31. The Book of Vile Darkness should only cost about £23 (at most) or about 35 Euros.

Yes, euros, unfortunately. Expensive stuff.

Knight Otu

First Post
Hi, all!

Upper_Krust said:
Hey Knight Otu mate! :)

I think there is both good and bad in the "Vancian" D&D magic system but I would be happy with a change for 4th Edition.

As an option, sure, but don't drop it just for the sake of being different (This is the impression I get from Monte Cook's AU, so I'm a bit ... less impressed by it. ;))

You mean I hadn't already convinced you! :p
Where would the fun be if we were of exactly one opinion? ;)

kkoie said:
They are doing great! thanks for asking :)

:)

kkoie said:
I don't think so... I'll have to check the book again to make sure. But I'm pretty sure that its mostly ability scores, mainly con and wisdom, for the most part anyway. I would imagine though that you could have a spell that would temp drain a level. It wouldn't be more horrible than existing spells. I know that the apocalypse from the sky spell takes away enough ability scores (among other things) that unless its an uber spellcaster, they will be dead as a result of casting the spell.

I'll get the book eventually, I just saw a number of similarities with ideas I had myself.

Knight Otu said:

Hello Knight Otu mate! :)

Knight Otu said:
As an option, sure, but don't drop it just for the sake of being different (This is the impression I get from Monte Cook's AU, so I'm a bit ... less impressed by it. ;) )

Like I said we could keep the Wizard class as is and experiment with the Sorceror Class.

Knight Otu said:
Where would the fun be if we were of exactly one opinion? ;)

No fun at all.

Incidently for those of you following the discussion over at Andy Collins Forums we thrashed out a number of changes to the CR factors (in the CR/EL pdf). Most of these are for better accuracy:

Ability Scores (Total -60 divide by ten...to get CR modifier*)

*Suggested previously as an option; now the standard.

Clarification on Characters with either NPC wealth or no wealth at all.

Aberrations added to the Hit Dice table; Undead split between mindless (1/4 HD) and intelligent (1/3 HD).

Integrated (Spell) Levels now +0.25 CR each

Flight now +0.2 Clumsy; 0.4 Poor; 0.6 Average etc.

Natural Armour +0.1/point

Energy Drain now +1, +0.5/additional level
Ability Score Drain now +0.5, +0.25/additional point.

Energy Resistance +0.1/10 points

Spell Resistance +0.1/point above 10

...and a bunch of other things mostly aimed at rating special abilities more accurately (including Breath Weapons).

The only thing I currently haven't settled on is the revision of Spell-like Abilities.

Gez

First Post
Ave !

Upper_Krust said:
Ability Scores (Total -60 divide by ten...to get CR modifier*)

*Suggested previously as an option; now the standard.

Maybe minus 63 would be better, since usually half the ability scores are odd. (I.e., a human with 10, 11, 10, 11, 10, 11 would get a +0.3 ECL with this system.)

Upper_Krust said:
Clarification on Characters with either NPC wealth or no wealth at all.

And with PC wealth as well (I know we shouldn't make NPC with PC wealth, too much a reward for those party who just happen to kill and loot everyone, but...).

Don't have other comments about that.

Ah, totally off-topic, I just saw (on the General Discussion forum) that one of my favorite game ever, Rêve de Dragon, is now available in English ! 3 PDFs, the first free, the two others bundled for $13. I heartily recommend it.

Gez said:

Bonjour! :)

Gez said:
Maybe minus 63 would be better, since usually half the ability scores are odd. (I.e., a human with 10, 11, 10, 11, 10, 11 would get a +0.3 ECL with this system.)

It was suggested that the odd numbers still play a part in things like feat prerequisites and ability score checks so they are still a pertinent factor.

Gez said:
And with PC wealth as well (I know we shouldn't make NPC with PC wealth, too much a reward for those party who just happen to kill and loot everyone, but...).

Well PC wealth is intrinsic to 1 Level = +1 CR.

For NPC wealth its +0.75 CR/Level (still testing)
For no wealth its +0.5 CR/Level (still testing)

I am sceptical that all the core classes (notably spellcasters) benefit the same amount by wealth/equipment though.

Gez said:
Ah, totally off-topic, I just saw (on the General Discussion forum) that one of my favorite game ever, Rêve de Dragon, is now available in English ! 3 PDFs, the first free, the two others bundled for $13. I heartily recommend it.

Dream of Dragons...?

I'll check out the first pdf when I get the chance. :)

Remove ads