Immortal's Handbook continuation thread

Re: Re: Question about the Revised Core Rulebooks

Bonjour mon ami poilbrun! :)

poilbrun said:
Point of view 1 : it would be great, since I will probably use D&D 3.5, this way I won't have to convert the IH from D&D 3.0 to D&D 3.5

Point of view 2 : that would suck, since D&D 3.5 may suck, and I may not use it, which means I'll have the trouble of converting the IH from D&D 3.5 to D&D 3.0

Point of view 3 : the problem with this is, what will you do if WotC announces another book after the revised books that might have an impact on the IH? Will you wait for it to be released in the SRD, or will you release the printed version of the IH that would not be compatible with that book? I think a line needs to be drawn to know how long you wait to release the book, but unfortunately, I believe you will see several different point of views and you'll have to draw that line yourself.

My real opinion would be point of view 1. ;)

I can't really see the revisions necessitating much of a rewrite for the Immortals Handbook.

But its nice to know I have your support! :)

Re: Re: Question about the Revised Core Rulebooks

Gez said:

Konban wa tomodachi Gez! :)

Gez said:
Was ? Nein ! Absolutely not, I just try to avoid the blandness of repetition.

Mon dieu! :rolleyes: :D

Gez said:
Of course that seems a good idea, having the book the most compatible possible with the latest edition, however...

Thats two in favour. :)

Gez said:
Are you sure ? I thought they would release the revised SRD before any additional material -- notably in the hope of revising the material in D&Dg and ELH so that it is in line with the new rules. Things like damage reduction and energy resistance, for example, have changed.

Deities & Demigods and the Epic Level Handbook are to enter the SRD long before the release of the Revised Core Rulebooks. At least thats what Anthony Valterra intimated.

Knight Otu

First Post
So, you wanted it. :D

Gez said:
Hallo, mein gut Freunde,
would be either "meine guten (or "lieben") Freunde" in plural, or "mein guter Freund" singular.

Und mein sprecht ist schlechter !

"Und meine Aussprache ist schlechter!"

ich kann kleinen texten reden und understanden. Kleinen texten.
"Ich kann kleine (better: "kurze") Texte reden und verstehen. Kurze Texte."

Sorry for the hijacking! :)

Last edited:

Hi Knight Otu mate! :)

Knight Otu said:
Since I am planning for the print version, as I already said, I would like it to be consistent with R3E. I like much of what I see of Revised. :)

I like the new Pit Fiend; roll on the Solar! :cool:

Incidently I will post the Immortals Handbook FAQ late tomorrow afternoon (I am busy tomorrow morning). I just need to tidy up one or two points. ;)

Gez

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Question about the Revised Core Rulebooks

Upper_Krust said:
Konban wa tomodachi Gez! :)

roflmao.gif

See ? That's better !

Upper_Krust said:
Deities & Demigods and the Epic Level Handbook are to enter the SRD long before the release of the Revised Core Rulebooks. At least thats what Anthony Valterra intimated.

Really ? Well, maybe the WotC goblins are nicer than what I thought.

PS: Knight Otu, thanks. But now I feel ashamed of how fast my little (and hardly gained), knowledge of german is fading...

Blacksad

Explorer
Gutten Tag! :D

On the print version of the IH with 3.5, something that might be interesting, depending on what is in the SRD, because WotC has probably no plans to revise the ELH and D&Ds, would be to release a 416 pages book that would be the compilation, updated to 3.5, of the IH, ELH and D&Ds (because some Epic Feat list, or skill by level probably need some changes).

Plus it would motivate me to buy the 3.5 books. :)

What do you think?

Personally I would like this version or only the IH with 3.0 rules.

Bonjour mon ami! :)

Blacksad said:
Gutten Tag! :D

On the print version of the IH with 3.5, something that might be interesting, depending on what is in the SRD, because WotC has probably no plans to revise the ELH and D&Ds, would be to release a 416 pages book that would be the compilation, updated to 3.5, of the IH, ELH and D&Ds (because some Epic Feat list, or skill by level probably need some changes).

Plus it would motivate me to buy the 3.5 books. :)

What do you think?

Personally I would like this version or only the IH with 3.0 rules.

I really don't see the changes being that far reaching with regards the Immortals Handbook. Certainly a few feats or skills may be renamed but I see no extensive problems one way or the other.

Incidently I am going to post the FAQ at the start of this thread in a moment. I just hope I can copy and paste! :rolleyes:

I may expand on a few of the answers over the next few days.

Anubis

First Post
UK, sorry to do this, but I still have to point out some obvious flaws in your system regarding lower levels.

I point you to the bugbear, CR 2 by the book, CR 2.2 by your system. Your system would also suggest that a single bugbear is an EL 5 encounter. Um, sorry, but that is OBVIOUSLY not the case. A standard level 1 party could defeat a bugbear with only minor difficulty. In fact, the ONLY current CR 2 monsters worthy of an EL 5 mark are the ogre and the loxo, and I think even they are only a 3 or 4.

I still think messing with the lower levels is a bad idea.

I also think that taking the rolles ability scores into consideration for purposes of determining PEL is pedantic and unnecessary. Where do you draw the line? What happens when a bull's strength spell is cast on the character? Does he suddenly rise up in his EL? NO. Duh. The actual levels take ALL of this into account to begin with, which is why you gain no XP for summoned creatures as well.

What about permanent magical items such as a belt of giant strength?

Basically, you're "double-taxing" this stuff. Level accounts for wealth which accounts for the magical items, and level and race account for ability scores. I do think that "above the norm" ability scores for other various races (such as Str+10 for the ogre) should be taken into account, but ONLY when determining ECL for purposes of character level.

Also, XP should NOT be gained by EL, but by each creature's individual CR, otherwise you're screwing PCs out of XP. EL works for matched encounters because the XP is the same anyway, but for mixed, it does not work at all. Take your example in that PDF with the pit fiends, gelugons, and dragon. The example puts it at EL 24. For a PEL 20, that nets 24000 XP. If, however, you do it the RIGHT way and determine XP per monster, the XP award is actually 31000. That 7000 can make a huge difference, ya' know. Or is your purpose actually to prevent effective level gaining as per the rules?

Methinks you should rethink some of this stuff. As it stands, I'm not sure how to incorporate the good parts of your system (the ELs over 20 and other such things) without using the parts that are obviously flawed as much as the core rules. Perhaps you could enlighten me on these.

(On a side note, ECL can be determined by your current tables and done as a simple permanent modifier to character, so problem solved there. But that still makes a big problem with normal races.)

Remove ads