Immortals Handbook Epic Bestiary (now available)

Upper_Krust said:
Okay I am just wondering, should I actually have the d20 logo on my cover?
Some free advice. Do not put the d20 logo on your cover unless you follow all of the guidelines required by the d20 license. Your cover does not have any of the Manditory Trademark Use text on it and that would violate the license. Likewise, based on the table of contents you are already in violation since you claim to be using version 3.0 of the d20 license. The d20 license is up to version 6 and you aren't allowed to release new material with an older copy of that license. On the same page you state that Dungeon Master is a trademark of WotC. While true, this violates the d20 license.

And I don't like your OGC declaration because the last line is (in my and other's opinions) not a clear declaration. But that is an esoteric OGL arguement that I don't want to debate in this forum. It does mean though that I am less interested in purchasing IH than I was before though.

Did any PDF publishers ask about publishing the IH for you? I never did because there were other publishers who were more active in your IH threads. But you've made a bunch of rookie mistakes with the license that could have easily been avoided.

historian

First Post
U_K's work is really amazing. Every time that I open the file I catch something new. In no particular order, here are some of my favorite tidbits in the Bestiary:

1. The Extradimensional, Cosmic String, Anoretic, and Apostasy powers.

2. The illustrations of the Quintessence Elemental, Orichalcum Golem, and Sandolphon.

3. The Kosmos. :cool:

4. The Dragons.

5. The Size Templates.

6. The Grigori. ;)

7. The Angels.

8. The Neutronium Golem. :D

9. Alabaster's equipment.

10. The Robes of the Almighty.

I'm also REALLY looking forward to the following:

1. The Eternal and Supernal templates.

2. The Transcendent and Omnific abilities.

3. The Lipika, Mazzaroth, Infinitaur, and Gog/Magog.

4. The Inevitables and Intelligibles.

5. Detailing of specific pantheons.

Kerrick

First Post
Just looked over the preview pages... I'm glad you didn't use the new statblock format. It means I'll probably pick this one up. Also, the font is very hard to read... the headers are night unto impossible to decipher. Just a minor gripe, but something you might want to keep in mind for next time. :)

Ulitharid_Lord

First Post
Congratulations U_K, on (finally) finishing the Bestiary!

It's good to know that you have already got alot done on the other sections.

But your site is really messed up. It is gibberish again, but near the bottom, it becomes readable, but still does not make sense. It looks like a spam email or something. And there are images that do not show up and should not be there. And then, at the very bottom of the page is random words. It is very strange.

Pages that are currently messed up (Pages marked with an asterik have the weird text that is not gibberish):
Main Page*
Crown Naga
King Ghidorah*
Testimony*
Immortal's Handbook Page* (Not completly messed up, the title, links and some text at the bottom are still okay)

I can't get to the art galleries, because the main page and the IH Page are not working, so I do not know if they are okay.

historian

First Post
This power didn't get a listing that I saw. It was only mentioned in the Seraphim's Ray of Redemption power.

There isn't a technical description but I think I know where it is headed directionally. It would substitute as an alignment descriptor for those beings existing outside the Dimensions bearing an alignment.

Hey guys! :)

Anabstercorian said:
d20 logo? Yes, absolutely.

Hmm, I think I'll have to go over the document again as per jmucchiello's advice before I do.

Serge said:
Upper Krust, it's about time. All I can say is:

SUPERB!!!!!

One of my moderators (Kain Darkwind) was kind enough to buy a copy of it for me and I'll be doing a review of the Immortals' Handbook for Dicefreaks. I want to encourage our members to buy it as I think it's a great bit of work. Some of the pictures (all done by yourself, yes?) are evocative!

Well done!

Thanks again Serge matey! Yes I did all the art myself, for better or worse. I would have prefered to hire Wayne Reynolds but beggars can't be choosers I suppose. I don't think I have mastered the art (no pun intended) of making things look epic yet, but I am quite proud of the achievement, and especially the cover. I don't think I am back to my best yet (I hadn't painted since 1995 before tackling the cover), but I am only going to get better with practice.

I'll try and spend a bit more time on dicefreaks in the future, Kain lured me in last week talking about nukes in d20. But I think I had to abscond before things were settled.

jmucchiello said:
Some free advice. Do not put the d20 logo on your cover unless you follow all of the guidelines required by the d20 license. Your cover does not have any of the Manditory Trademark Use text on it and that would violate the license.

Well I thought I was following all the guidelines, but you have given me pause on the matter.

jmucchiello said:
Likewise, based on the table of contents you are already in violation since you claim to be using version 3.0 of the d20 license. The d20 license is up to version 6 and you aren't allowed to release new material with an older copy of that license. On the same page you state that Dungeon Master is a trademark of WotC. While true, this violates the d20 license.

I'll have to go tidy that up. :eek:

jmucchiello said:
And I don't like your OGC declaration because the last line is (in my and other's opinions) not a clear declaration. But that is an esoteric OGL arguement that I don't want to debate in this forum. It does mean though that I am less interested in purchasing IH than I was before though.

Well I presume you don't mean the 'work of fiction' line, and are refering to the line about making copies? If so I'll remove that line and do another incarnation (Version 1.2) tonight. I'm going to have to update the license anyway, can't have that hanging. :uhoh:

jmucchiello said:
Did any PDF publishers ask about publishing the IH for you?

I was in negotiations with a few, but things fell through for whatever reason, so I just decided to self-publish the Bestiary first (or at least part of it) and then, with something to show for myself, see if any publishers were interested in the actual Immortals Handbook itself or other similar products.

jmucchiello said:
I never did because there were other publishers who were more active in your IH threads.

I'd certainly prefer to work with an established publisher rather than have to do everything myself, as you have noted I'm not one hundred percent up to scratch on the legal side of things, and the online aspect has been a learning process in truth.

jmucchiello said:
But you've made a bunch of rookie mistakes with the license that could have easily been avoided.

Well I am a rookie, but I take your point. Thanks for your advice, very much appreciated.

Frukathka said:
Shew, about time! I'll get payment out for it as soon as I possibly can. Thanks UK! Looking forward to the complete printed project!

I appreciate the support mate. As for a print version, I suppose that will depend on whether the pdfs are successful enough to merit publisher interest.

historian said:
U_K's work is really amazing. Every time that I open the file I catch something new.

As long as its not new mistakes. ;)

historian said:
In no particular order, here are some of my favorite tidbits in the Bestiary:

*SNIP*

...yeah, but everybody loves the Neutronium Golem so that one doesn't count. :p

...oh and don't think I didn't get that Grigori wink you cheeky rascal. :D

Kerrick said:
Just looked over the preview pages... I'm glad you didn't use the new statblock format.

Why not? I think it looks kind of fresh and clean.

Kerrick said:
It means I'll probably pick this one up. Also, the font is very hard to read... the headers are night unto impossible to decipher. Just a minor gripe, but something you might want to keep in mind for next time.

Aw, c'mon, that font is king! It combines upper and lower case letters in the same way that the Immortals Handbook encapsulates the mortal-Immortal relationship.

Alzrius said:
This power didn't get a listing that I saw. It was only mentioned in the Seraphim's Ray of Redemption power.

Apostasy is the power to transcend alignment. With it, a chaotic evil deity could take Paladin Levels, or you could be a Monk-Bard and so forth. It also means a Paladin could cast evil spells. It means that you are immune to the effects of aligned-based weapons and spells.

By the way, just incase things were not totally clear, the d20 Hit Dice signifies Demigod+, d100 Hit Dice signifies Elder One/Cosmic power, d1000 Hit Dice signifies Transcendental Level Beings/Time Lords and so forth. These abilities are in the Immortals Handbook, there are prerequisites for getting the d20 Hit Dice, depending on starting Hit Dice type. I have a new type of epic toughness that increases dice type from d4 to d6 to d8 to d10 to d12. So its not technically automatic for immortals, although it would be for those without Class Levels and only Hit Dice.

...I actually got the idea indirectly from the Paragon Template in the ELH. It gives +12 hit point bonus per Hit Dice and I was just thinking that with maximum hit points for a d8 creature, thats the same as a maxed d20.

Lastly, as jmucchiello has intimated, it looks like I should update the d20 license, so while I am doing that I may as well fix the errata, so if you find anymore by tonight let me know.

Currently the spotted errata is:

1. Maskim's alignment should be Lawful Evil
2. Sadims subname should be Greedy One as it is in the contents.
3. The Flagas entry in the Monsters by CR & ECL list is wonky.

Verequus

First Post
Regarding the hit dice I've got a question: The Half-Dragon Template mentions the following line: "Increase base creature’s racial HD by one die size, to a maximum of d12." With your rules, would this maximum be abolished, so the hierarchy gets expanded to d12->d20->d100->d1000->d10000 etc.?

historian

First Post
Hey U_K! :)

As long as its not new mistakes.

Of course not and, ironically, as long as the mistakes are obvious enough they have no substantive import.

yeah, but everybody loves the Neutronium Golem so that one doesn't count.

Many folks will clamor that these "overpowered" critters have no practical value because they are overpowered. I tend to disagree. For one thing you have littered the work with general ideas about how to include these things in lower-powered campaigns.

Net, net, I'm not sure you can go too powerful unless you can't explain why the hell the thing exists in the first place. Seeing that you have that covered I say fire away.

Of course, I'm also sympathetic to the fact that the neutronium golem's entry came at the sacrifice of some likely less powerful and arguably more useful entry. But it seems as though everyone has taken to it rather well.

oh and don't think I didn't get that Grigori wink you cheeky rascal.

I'd been meaning to needle you about that one for some time. Well done I must say. I might slap on the Paragon and Dire templates to approximate our buddy from another genre.

Maskim's alignment should be Lawful Evil

I will admit to being puzzled by the alignment previously. I just failed to mention it.

Oh, and another irony, the quality of the work is such that you have created additional demand for forthcoming products. While this is good for you in both the artistic and hopefully financial sense, it is likely to result in additional pressure to complete all projects by your loyal albeit enthusiastic (rabid) fan base.

I hope you're ready for the push dude. :)

Remove ads