• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E In 4e, why do you play the Race/Class you play?

Felon

First Post
I play a bard in one campaign because I wanted show the other players (who wouldn't play anything but clerics) that focusing on healing is amongst the worst things a leader can be doing. I got the point across with a build that makes attacks hit when they ought to miss. Turns out that when your enemies die, they can't hurt you anymore.

I play a sorcerer in another campaign because the warlock just sucks so badly. It's the red-headed stepchild of 4e. Hope it sees some of the little touches along the same lines that the wizard got in HoFL.

Omen Damakos

First Post
Currently: Tiefling Feylock
It primarily fell into place in the campaign. The arcane role had yet to be filled and the dark past for Tiefling seemed fun to play. It allows me to play a charismatic character who is mostly silent and brooding.

I have also been a Dwarf Rogue, Genasi Swordmage, Halfling Fighter, Dwarf Druid (yes I read those books), and Half-elf Shaman.

I tend to like combinations that provide for interesting back stories. I like to know who my characters are, which includes which role they will play, and then fill in the creation choices to match that. I also prefer something that doesn't quite match, but still works. (The exception being the Watersoul Genasi Swordmage, who speaks with a lilting Scottish accent.)

Min/Max-ing has never been fun to me. You may as well just do the math and forget the RP aspect entirely.

Remove ads