In Addition To RPGs, Do You Play Wargames (Including Tactical Miniatures Games)?

In Addition To RPGs, Do You Play Wargames (Including Tactical Miniatures Games)?

• Yes

Votes: 105 52.0%
  • No

Votes: 97 48.0%

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I play DDM, especially when I'm playing D&D less than once a week. There are some seriously non-transferrable skills though... AoO's I'm looking at you. :-\

-blarg

KaosDevice

Explorer
I get a kick out of Mechwarrior and when that new HorrorClix game comes out I'm going to be all over it (giant clicky Cthulhu? Fuhgeddaboutit)

Plus I am pretty hooked on TCI's Zombies!!! Line of games and Arkham Horror, dunno if they count.

sydbar

Explorer
I am a wargame lover, i've played mage knight(1st edition), heroclix, both battletech versions, the crimson skies clik game, shadowrun(with the dolls), all 5 fleet games, titan, kings and things, civilization(original and computer versions, central america, the collectible stratego game, some of the old baggie games, and others i can't think of at the moment, and don't get me started on the computer strategy games i have, and those are just what i own. When i took that type of gamer test before the crash, i came up as a tactical gamer, which wasn't a surprise to me since i like strategy and wargames.

Speaking of.... (slight threadjack)

My gaming group is on an extended hiatus. I was thinking about picking up some boardgames to fill the gap, since continuity won't matter. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something on the complexity scale between Milton-Bradley and Avalon Hill. Multiplayer is a must.

Back in the day, I played probably every AH game there was (except The Longest Day -- at $70 in early 80s dollars, there was no way!). Also had a ton of SPI stuff, Yaquinto, the 'Sticks and Stones' type baggie games.

Croesus

Adventurer
Psion said:
There are some games I'd play again if I had the chance (Silent Death, anyone?).

Oh my word, someone who's actually played Silent Death and enjoyed it...A group of friends and I played it when the game first came out and loved it. When I moved to KC I could never find anyone interested. The one session I tried to teach a couple friends bombed. I have the new edition, but I'm still looking for players.

As for the original question, yep I still wargame (like others, I started wargaming before roleplaying), but because of the group I game with, we tend to stick with fairly simple games, on the level of risk and runebound. What I'd give to find a group that enjoys a game like Third Reich or World in Flames. There are so many good games just begging to be played.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
DarkSoldier said:
Does Heroclix count for this poll?

Sure. I think that qualifies nicely as a tactical miniatures game.

Rodrigo Istalindir said:

My gaming group is on an extended hiatus. I was thinking about picking up some boardgames to fill the gap, since continuity won't matter. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something on the complexity scale between Milton-Bradley and Avalon Hill. Multiplayer is a must.

I've been thinking about trying some of the Days of Wonder games, like Shadows Over Camelot, Mystery of the Abbey and Pirate's Cove. I've seen the demo DVD that thalmin got at his gamestore and they each look interesting. I think Smilin' MerricB and his friends have regular boardgame days. Hopefully, his see this thread and expound on his experiences, as I hope others will feel free to do as well.

Kenzer has a new game called The Great Space Race that I have played and is fun.

I'll post more thoughts later on the matter if they come to me. :)

Croesus

Adventurer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:

Here are a couple good sites to get reviews and overviews of games:

This guy tends to review newer games, including many I'd never heard of. I especially like that he tells you why a game is good/bad (in his opinion, of course) and what playing styles it's suited for (such as multiplayer vs. 2-player).
http://www.thedicetower.com/tomvasel.html

Web-Grognards tends to be more focused on older games, such as AH and SPI, but they have material on some newer ones also, such as Paths of Glory.
http://grognard.com/#contents

Remove ads