In Addition To RPGs, Do You Play Wargames (Including Tactical Miniatures Games)?

In Addition To RPGs, Do You Play Wargames (Including Tactical Miniatures Games)?

• Yes

Votes: 105 52.0%
  • No

Votes: 97 48.0%

wmasters

First Post
No, but that's not to say that I wouldn't. I play boardgames (German-style strategy games mostly), and wouldn't be adverse to trying the right game. I guess I just don't know the right gamers to get into this side of the hobby, or have the spare money.

diaglo

Adventurer
el-remmen said:
I voted yes, even though it has been a while since I did so with any regularity.

lay off the FUDGE, you need to get some more fiber(re) in your diet, mang.

i voted yes, aussi.

diaglo "been wargaming longer than he can remember" Ooi

The_Gneech

Explorer
No, although I wouldn't mind giving the LotR game from Games Workshop a shot. I also remember when the original Crimson Skies came out I wanted to try it soooo badly, that I was ready to ditch the rest of my group in anger when they gave it the collective raspberry.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a group to go to that would play it.

-The Gneech :cool:

Kid Socrates

First Post
I voted no, although I'm not sure if what I do play fits in that category. Do I play a miniatures game like Warhammer or Battletech (if that's even what it's called)? No, I don't. Do I play video games like Heroes of Might and Magic, Silent Storm, and Final Fantasy Tactics? Yes, I do. They're kind of war-gamey, but again kind of not. To err on the side of caution, I voted "no," because if I got into wargaming and miniatures all my money would fly away.

Wombat

First Post
Mark said:

I used to.

Now I don't.

Too many arguments about LoS, fog of war, etc. This is why I moved to D&D 30 years ago, to get away from the minutiae arguments. This also explains why I dropped D&D back when it first became AD&D ("1st Edition") and now have dropped D20 (which is returning to its wargaming roots). I don't want combat to be the central focus of my roleplaying game.

I said no, but I have and I may again.

I will say that I've been bitten--hard--by the board game bug lately: Runebound, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, just to start. I have yet to try wargames again, though I did take a peek at my old Imperium Romanum II game from days of yore. This board game habit's more expensive than the RPG one.

Wyrm Pilot

First Post
Wombat said:
Too many arguments about LoS, fog of war, etc. This is why I moved to D&D 30 years ago, to get away from the minutiae arguments. This also explains why I dropped D&D back when it first became AD&D ("1st Edition") and now have dropped D20 (which is returning to its wargaming roots). I don't want combat to be the central focus of my roleplaying game.

I disagree with your assessment of AD&D and d20 -- I've played AD&D 1.0 & 2.0, and then D&D 3.0-3.5, for 27 years; and I've found that (a) arguments about minutiae, and (b) combat-focused play vs. RP-focused play are a function of the players and/or campaign, not the rules set. E.G. I play RPGA campaigns, and they tend to be heavily combat focused; but all of the home campaigns I have played in for the last 8 years (all of them AD&D or D&D) are so RP-focused that we may go between 5 and 10 sessions without any combat whatsoever. The rules set is merely a framework, and we use D&D because it's easy to learn, easy to use, and doesn't get in the way.

Cheers,
Wyrm Pilot

Remove ads