• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In Addition To RPGs, Do You Play Wargames (Including Tactical Miniatures Games)?

In Addition To RPGs, Do You Play Wargames (Including Tactical Miniatures Games)?

• Yes

Votes: 105 52.0%
  • No

Votes: 97 48.0%

wmasters

First Post
No, but that's not to say that I wouldn't. I play boardgames (German-style strategy games mostly), and wouldn't be adverse to trying the right game. I guess I just don't know the right gamers to get into this side of the hobby, or have the spare money.

diaglo

Adventurer
el-remmen said:
I voted yes, even though it has been a while since I did so with any regularity.

lay off the FUDGE, you need to get some more fiber(re) in your diet, mang.

i voted yes, aussi.

diaglo "been wargaming longer than he can remember" Ooi

The_Gneech

Explorer
No, although I wouldn't mind giving the LotR game from Games Workshop a shot. I also remember when the original Crimson Skies came out I wanted to try it soooo badly, that I was ready to ditch the rest of my group in anger when they gave it the collective raspberry.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a group to go to that would play it.

-The Gneech :cool:

Kid Socrates

First Post
I voted no, although I'm not sure if what I do play fits in that category. Do I play a miniatures game like Warhammer or Battletech (if that's even what it's called)? No, I don't. Do I play video games like Heroes of Might and Magic, Silent Storm, and Final Fantasy Tactics? Yes, I do. They're kind of war-gamey, but again kind of not. To err on the side of caution, I voted "no," because if I got into wargaming and miniatures all my money would fly away.

Wombat

First Post
Mark said:

I used to.

Now I don't.

Too many arguments about LoS, fog of war, etc. This is why I moved to D&D 30 years ago, to get away from the minutiae arguments. This also explains why I dropped D&D back when it first became AD&D ("1st Edition") and now have dropped D20 (which is returning to its wargaming roots). I don't want combat to be the central focus of my roleplaying game.

I said no, but I have and I may again.

I will say that I've been bitten--hard--by the board game bug lately: Runebound, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, just to start. I have yet to try wargames again, though I did take a peek at my old Imperium Romanum II game from days of yore. This board game habit's more expensive than the RPG one.

Wyrm Pilot

First Post
Wombat said:
Too many arguments about LoS, fog of war, etc. This is why I moved to D&D 30 years ago, to get away from the minutiae arguments. This also explains why I dropped D&D back when it first became AD&D ("1st Edition") and now have dropped D20 (which is returning to its wargaming roots). I don't want combat to be the central focus of my roleplaying game.

I disagree with your assessment of AD&D and d20 -- I've played AD&D 1.0 & 2.0, and then D&D 3.0-3.5, for 27 years; and I've found that (a) arguments about minutiae, and (b) combat-focused play vs. RP-focused play are a function of the players and/or campaign, not the rules set. E.G. I play RPGA campaigns, and they tend to be heavily combat focused; but all of the home campaigns I have played in for the last 8 years (all of them AD&D or D&D) are so RP-focused that we may go between 5 and 10 sessions without any combat whatsoever. The rules set is merely a framework, and we use D&D because it's easy to learn, easy to use, and doesn't get in the way.

Cheers,
Wyrm Pilot

Remove ads